Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question, out of sheer curiosity. I have an early Gannon that I love. Any collectors here that can give an opinion on his work now versus his earlier pieces?
I know @moontheloon has spoken of Michael's work improving over time, as has @Short Balding Guy.

I thought both my Gannons were excellently crafted, the only difference in the felt being from one with dyed color and the other being a natural felt.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My Gannon, moss green with gills, was my outside chore hat this cold morning. You can see from my photo how the brim is covered in a light dusting of snow and then the crown has some melted snow stuck to the felt. When I work hard this is what I frequently experience. I smack the hat against my slacks before coming in, brush the hat and set it on a block to dry. Within a couple of hours it is dry and good to go again. What to do when you have more outside efforts and a hat is needed - break out aother Gannon of course.

On an occasion the gill ribbon has gotten a bit distorted after drying the accumulated snow off. My learning has been to steam the ribbon and crown rest the hat hanging and the ribbon comes back to it's intended shape. This has occurred during the really wet snows of spring.

It is early winter and lots more snow is expected.

i-kg7zJbn-M.jpg

The Gannon hats handle the Minnesota weather and keep on going.

Cheers to Gannon hat fans.

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Question, out of sheer curiosity. I have an early Gannon that I love. Any collectors here that can give an opinion on his work now versus his earlier pieces?

Sir; My experience has been that they have improved. I have an early charcoal one that is a work horse hat on my hat rack. I love it. The later models have a more even pouncing in the hand of the brim, better leather sweats, lovely improved liners, binding is well done (when snapped absoluetly no bumps or unevenness in binding), ribbon work stitching more subtle (gills introduced later), greater selection of felt, and my fav- lighter weight felt (sanding,pouncing) in the silvermist. I believe they are a terrific buy and they are from order to delivery to your door, fast in the bespoke hat world.

Others should chime in on their experiences. This is a quick add as I am pressed for time. I will re-read later and add if needed.

Best, Eric -

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Sir; My experience has been that they have improved. I have an early charcoal one that is a work horse hat on my hat rack. I love it. The later models have a more even pouncing in the hand of the brim, better leather sweats, lovely improved liners, binding is well done (when snapped absoluetly no bumps or unevenness in binding), ribbon work stitching more subtle (gills introduced later), greater selection of felt, and my fav- lighter weight felt (sanding,pouncing) in the silvermist. I believe they are a terrific buy and they are from order to delivery to your door, fast in the bespoke hat world.

Others should chime in on their experiences. This is a quick add as I am pressed for time. I will re-read later and add if needed.

Best, Eric -

I agree with Eric - I am lucky enough to have two hats that Michael custom-built for me, and couldn’t be more pleased. Great hats, and great person to deal with!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have only recent experience with Gannon (about 2 years) but they are top of the line in my list. And I agree with Eric's more technical assessment. Very well made, a good mid-weight hat (not flimsy light nor cowboy hat heavy), easy to wear, and fine felt and ribbon work. Almost as important, Michael has always been very customer oriented and is willing to work with you on every aspect of the process. I've even asked for some hats he could not do and rather than "maybe", he has always been honest about what he can - and can't - do. Rare in this day and age. If every hat I owned, or would ever own, was a Gannon, I would walk proudly in the hat world and look great doing it!

Best, Eric -

My Gannon, moss green with gills, was my outside chore hat this cold morning. You can see from my photo how the brim is covered in a light dusting of snow and then the crown has some melted snow stuck to the felt. When I work hard this is what I frequently experience. I smack the hat against my slacks before coming in, brush the hat and set it on a block to dry. Within a couple of hours it is dry and good to go again. What to do when you have more outside efforts and a hat is needed - break out aother Gannon of course.

On an occasion the gill ribbon has gotten a bit distorted after drying the accumulated snow off. My learning has been to steam the ribbon and crown rest the hat hanging and the ribbon comes back to it's intended shape. This has occurred during the really wet snows of spring.

It is early winter and lots more snow is expected.

i-kg7zJbn-M.jpg

The Gannon hats handle the Minnesota weather and keep on going.

Cheers to Gannon hat fans.

Best, Eric -
Drifts of snow do not phase this Gannon Eric. That color lends itself well to your chores in the evergreens. I need to jump back into Mike Gannon's queue.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Posted my navy Gannon a couple of years ago when I received it. Super tall crown, it really gets some looks. I am also interested in the improvements in quality of his current work. This one is so great, I can only imagine how the newer customs turn out.

View attachment 200593 View attachment 200594
Mike you've heard it before but this hat is outstanding, looks close to my favourite proportions too. Great look all around !!

I don't own any Gannon as of yet so apologies for the off topic :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
I have one coming next week. It is a Whiskey Beaver, but I pretty much gave Michael creative freedom to do with the ribbon and binding as he wishes, so I don't know what I'm getting[emoji275]

On deck? Navy and Silver/Gray

He's a nice gent to work with. This is my first custom hat and he made the experience very smooth.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have one coming next week. It is a Whiskey Beaver, but I pretty much gave Michael creative freedom to do with the ribbon and binding as he wishes, so I don't know what I'm getting[emoji275]

He's a nice gent to work with. This is my first custom hat and he made the experience very smooth.

My Gannon is a Whisky beaver w/ rust ribbon work....great hat. I have a Willow swatch on its way from him and if I think I can make the colour work will get in the queue.

Whiskey Beaver? I've heard of Whiskey [REDACTED], but not beaver.

Whiskey is near the top of my list for a new Gannon. I really want a powder blue beaver Strat clone, but he only offers that color in bunny.
I noticed that Michael is offering the nutria felts (I forget the other name for the critters). Asked his opinion of the quality as compared to beaver and if they are worth the extra $$. I think they make a light blue.

I noticed that Michael is offering the nutria felts (I forget the other name for the critters). Asked his opinion of the quality as compared to beaver and if they are worth the extra $$. I think they make a light blue.

The original lot of nutria felts were 180 grams, but the new lot are larger, stiffer, and 220 grams. For a dress hat, the 180 gram felts sound more to my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider