Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just sold Michael a Winchester 100% beaver dress weight hat body in blue smoke. This was one of Art Fawcett’s proprietary colors and is a rare bird. It’s a beautiful color. He only has the one felt so if you’re interested....
My Blue Smoke hat body from Art was really soft and tall/wide, too. Should make a wonderful hat. Michael has mine now, along with a dark moss for my daughter.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My Blue Smoke hat body from Art was really soft and tall/wide, too. Should make a wonderful hat. Michael has mine now, along with a dark moss for my daughter.

Sounds like perfect felts! What kind of features do you have in mind for the hats?

Man I love that blue mist felt. Absolutely a terrific felt. Second fav to the VS dove

i-pkXmKdv-M.jpg

Eric -

Tukwila

Sounds like perfect felts! What kind of features do you have in mind for the hats?

Man I love that blue mist felt. Absolutely a terrific felt. Second fav to the VS dove

i-pkXmKdv-M.jpg

Eric -
Ashen green vintage ribbon for daughter's dark moss, with a Rodolfo bow keep. 5-3/4" x 2-3/4", bound edge in piccadilly which is a bit lighter than the felt.

Another very old ribbon called lagoon for my blue smoke, kind of blue and purple grey hues to it. 6"+ x 2-3/4", raw edge.

Tukwila

Steamed in a deep diamond crease for daughter and added some steam to bring the front brim down a bit more.

I got this dark moss felt body from VS when Art retired. It was pretty stiff and too small for my block head and the tall, wide brimmed hat I wanted. But daughter's size 7-1/8 head allowed for a 5-3/4" crown and 2-3/4" brim.

Knowing the quality/state of the body, I was ready for a hat with fairly average, stiff felt. Boy, was I wrong in assuming that! Michael did miracles on this felt! It's not so stiff anymore and the pouncing produced a really nice, velvety smooth hand. The hand is every bit as nice as my natural Gannon fedora... which IMO is my best custom for "feel" and I just assumed it had a lot to do with the character of natural felt as opposed to dyed felt. Not so sure about that anymore. Great job by Michael!

Attachments

• Dark Moss_Ashen Green_05.jpg
    Dark Moss_Ashen Green_05.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 924

Bill Hughes

Steamed in a deep diamond crease for daughter and added some steam to bring the front brim down a bit more.

I got this dark moss felt body from VS when Art retired. It was pretty stiff and too small for my block head and the tall, wide brimmed hat I wanted. But daughter's size 7-1/8 head allowed for a 5-3/4" crown and 2-3/4" brim.

Knowing the quality/state of the body, I was ready for a hat with fairly average, stiff felt. Boy, was I wrong in assuming that! Michael did miracles on this felt! It's not so stiff anymore and the pouncing produced a really nice, velvety smooth hand. The hand is every bit as nice as my natural Gannon fedora... which IMO is my best custom for "feel" and I just assumed it had a lot to do with the character of natural felt as opposed to dyed felt. Not so sure about that anymore. Great job by Michael!
Would love to see some detailed pictures of the bow and crease.

Tukwila

Would love to see some detailed pictures of the bow and crease.
Well, she's left to go get some plants with her mom. But here's the same Rodolfo bowkeep with ashen green ribbon on his own pecan fedora from Michael. When Chamuco/Rodolfo posted this hat on the FL a few years ago I wrote Michael and asked how he thought that ribbon would look on a dark moss fedora and he said great.... I have been meaning to have Michael make a hat like this since then and just got around to doing it, for my daughter. Now that I have held it in hand and see how nice it really is, I want one for myself.

Also, here is my natural diamond crease which I tried to copy to her moss green hat.

Attachments

• moss_pecan w ashen green_green_sage.jpg
    moss_pecan w ashen green_green_sage.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Gannon Natural_Slate_05.jpeg
    Gannon Natural_Slate_05.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 878

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I want one, too!

Well, she's left to go get some plants with her mom. But here's the same Rodolfo bowkeep with ashen green ribbon on his own pecan fedora from Michael. When Chamuco/Rodolfo posted this hat on the FL a few years ago I wrote Michael and asked how he thought that ribbon would look on a dark moss fedora and he said great.... I have been meaning to have Michael make a hat like this since then and just got around to doing it, for my daughter. Now that I have held it in hand and see how nice it really is, I want one for myself.

Also, here is my natural diamond crease which I tried to copy to her moss green hat.

Tukwila

I want one, too!
I went back through my emails and it was in August 2017 when Michael and I started talking about the dark moss fedora. I forgot, but Michael actually blocked his last dark moss for me and was in the process of pouncing it and found a defect in the felt with little, hard pebbles of - perhaps - coagulated felt stiffener throughout the felt.

Winchester was sending a replacement felt to Michael when Eric and Jim took possession of their natural fedoras from Michael and so we switched gears and I ended up with the natural fedora I have now.

Michael is working on the blue smoke felt for me now, but I really want to get a dark moss fedora now. What a great felt.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Most excellent, Doug. I have a peacock green Stratoliner but I need to add a darker green to my collection.

I went back through my emails and it was in August 2017 when Michael and I started talking about the dark moss fedora. I forgot, but Michael actually blocked his last dark moss for me and was in the process of pouncing it and found a defect in the felt with little, hard pebbles of - perhaps - coagulated felt stiffener throughout the felt.

Winchester was sending a replacement felt to Michael when Eric and Jim took possession of their natural fedoras from Michael and so we switched gears and I ended up with the natural fedora I have now.

Michael is working on the blue smoke felt for me now, but I really want to get a dark moss fedora now. What a great felt.

tropicalbob

That hat is blowing me away. As I'm in line with another hatter at the moment, could I ask you what the name of that style is, if there is one? It never fails to amaze me how a particular hat can affect me.

Tukwila

That hat is blowing me away. As I'm in line with another hatter at the moment, could I ask you what the name of that style is, if there is one? It never fails to amaze me how a particular hat can affect me.
It's just 5.75 - 6" inch tall crown with a deep diamond crease, a 2.75" brim and whatever ribbon(s) you want.

The dark moss has what Michael and I started calling the "Rodolfo" ribbon treatment, with 2 highlight colors in the bowkeep.

My natural has a Knox or Dobbs twisted style bowkeep.

Are there other details you're wondering about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana