Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Decisions....

Thanks to Michael for his superb service

View attachment 272354

And the winner is....
If it were mine, I'd go with either the silver/gray ribbon in the top photo, or (and this is more likely at the moment) the dark blue in the center photo. That being said, I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a stunning new hat whichever color you choose.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Decisions....

Thanks to Michael for his superb service

View attachment 272354

And the winner is....

Winner is?

Those are some fundamental color hues to choose from. If you are matching to one of your custom White Boots, then a choice becomes obvious. I recall the bespoke VS hats you comisioned and this hat should be different, so this points the "winner" decision in several directions. If you are choosing for matching one of the many bespoke custom shoes you have, then another choice becomes obvious. Honestly, I could not imagine which ribbon option is your desire. They are different, but all gorgeous options set upon the light felt field.

What other possible influences are making your decisions my inquiring mind wishes to know?

What specs are you commissioning?

I agree, Michael's exceeds expectations.

Cheers, Eric -

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Winner is?

Those are some fundamental color hues to choose from. If you are matching to one of your custom White Boots, then a choice becomes obvious. I recall the bespoke VS hats you comisioned and this hat should be different, so this points the "winner" decision in several directions. If you are choosing for matching one of the many bespoke custom shoes you have, then another choice becomes obvious. Honestly, I could not imagine which ribbon option is your desire. They are different, but all gorgeous options set upon the light felt field.

What other possible influences are making your decisions my inquiring mind wishes to know?

What specs are you commissioning?

I agree, Michael's exceeds expectations.

Cheers, Eric -

Thanks for the comments - and hats off to your fine hats by Michael, Sir.

As you will see from my first Gannon, I chose Charcoal on Charcoal.

The new one is a Fepsa beaver felt, I believe no longer available, but ordered with information obtained on this site earlier this year - the Moonshine color.

I was going to stick to the Grey tones at first, to match the only wind cords Michael has in Grey, but after hearing of the blue undertones, have decided on the Blue grey, which is located at the center of my photo. I opted for 22 ligne, as I want a sharks gill bow - again decided after information on this fine lounge. I did give Michael the ability to override my choice of adding a little blue hue into the hat, as I didn't want the ribbon to own that hat, but be kindly mentioned that this was not the case.

My tastes have indeed changed a bit from the VS hats I commissioned in 2008-2012, I have become more conservative with 10 years age - the brim and waist line have both increased.

Michael is indeed one of the most skilled, if not the most skilled modern hatter in classic styles today.

I'm hoping that the postal service is running in good order - my Birthday and Christmas is in December, and I can think of no finer present for myself.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
41CA6C07-45D6-4F75-8F67-0697706F3916.jpeg
013F0556-803D-4CEC-B5AB-224AE9C972EB.jpeg
6E2EBC4F-B051-40F9-A1A4-59B1235C5F6C.jpeg
396A9F8D-FC3D-4559-AB89-35B2F584554F.jpeg
6A94827A-2498-43BC-B63A-CB56BD859857.jpeg
C527ED26-9CC4-4DE4-B545-84223A3C1A06.jpeg
EC12B012-3EF5-4F4D-8384-00FD9E818A62.jpeg
7C1CBC65-DDCE-4286-A35C-229C18074DC5.jpeg

It’s landed! My 1930’s fedora again with superb work and service by Michael - finest in the hat world, hats off to you Sir.

This time I had heard of the possibility to acquire a European Fepsa beaver felt, and I jumped on the opportunity. Moonshine is the colour - a grey with some blue undertones. Quite incredible felt, and ponced immaculately by Michael to a very fine finish. Almost silk like. Looks at the felt intensity in those close up pics!

I also asked him if he had ever done a slit in the leather with an internal bow, and whilst he said he had never done this, to my surprise he had a machine to do this and had just acquired white ribbon. Alas, the idea of having a sharks gill ribbon with internal gills too was born!

A superb hat, the very finest I have no doubt.

Attachments

• A3CF91B3-594D-4ADD-AD7C-D893348CDB48.jpeg
    A3CF91B3-594D-4ADD-AD7C-D893348CDB48.jpeg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 452

Belkar

Familiar Face
View attachment 278273 View attachment 278275 View attachment 278276 View attachment 278277 View attachment 278278 View attachment 278279 View attachment 278280 View attachment 278281

It’s landed! My 1930’s fedora again with superb work and service by Michael - finest in the hat world, hats off to you Sir.

This time I had heard of the possibility to acquire a European Fepsa beaver felt, and I jumped on the opportunity. Moonshine is the colour - a grey with some blue undertones. Quite incredible felt, and ponced immaculately by Michael to a very fine finish. Almost silk like. Looks at the felt intensity in those close up pics!

I also asked him if he had ever done a slit in the leather with an internal bow, and whilst he said he had never done this, to my surprise he had a machine to do this and had just acquired white ribbon. Alas, the idea of having a sharks gill ribbon with internal gills too was born!

I've today finished reading this 3284 message thread. And not that I started with any doubts, but you've made me glad to be "on the list".

Beautiful Cover!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 278273 View attachment 278275 View attachment 278276 View attachment 278277 View attachment 278278 View attachment 278279 View attachment 278280 View attachment 278281

Absolutely gorgeous. Cheers to both you and Michael.

Pellie

One Too Many

Great hat, congrats!

Belkar

Familiar Face
Hello Hat People!
It was suggested I swing the conversation back to this thread, and I agree, so here goes.

I've recently decided that it was time to purchase a proper hat. So down the rabbit hole I've fallen.

As far as makers within budget, and already selling something close to what exists in my head, I landed on Gannon Hats.

I want something that looks like it belongs outside. We live in Nebraska, and I'm hoping my 2 year old gets the same childhood that I loved...Camping, Fishing, Hiking, and the occasional Hunting.

What I have in my head, and hopefully someday on it, is somewhere between a Fedora and a slightly outback'ish hat. I'll admit in the last few weeks of research, Fedora is a design I had wrong. (I'm 33 and was victim of the cliché internet trope.) Anyway, to avoid rambling, here are the specs I'm considering right now:

"Belmont" model dimensions, 4 1/4 Crown, 2 5/8 Brim, Western Weight (I'm gonna beat it like it owes me money), Dark Moss, Ribbon "12 Ligne" - Charcoal or Black, and bound Brim matching the Ribbon.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm currently wearing a Ballcap I won in a raffle at a Ham Radio Convention, so I know next to nothing about hats. If I'm way off, let me know, I won't mind. Also, my profile picture was taken within the last week, that is how I dress every day. Military habits I guess, OD Green Shirt, Jeans, and my custom made wesco jobmasters.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit, I do appreciate your time.

Belkar

Familiar Face
For an outdoors type hat, you may want to consider a larger brim. The proportions as listed are definitely classic fedora dimensions. Depending on your frame, 4 1/4" might even be a bit low.

(Or, you know, maybe this is just my bias towards dress westerns) .

I'm 5'7", and not as thin framed as I used to be. I have an Oilskin hat that I tend only to wear if I'm out during heavy rain. It has a 3.5 inch brim, and sadly it feels a bit more than I want for every day.

Hello Hat People!
It was suggested I swing the conversation back to this thread, and I agree, so here goes.

I've recently decided that it was time to purchase a proper hat. So down the rabbit hole I've fallen.

As far as makers within budget, and already selling something close to what exists in my head, I landed on Gannon Hats.

I want something that looks like it belongs outside. We live in Nebraska, and I'm hoping my 2 year old gets the same childhood that I loved...Camping, Fishing, Hiking, and the occasional Hunting.

What I have in my head, and hopefully someday on it, is somewhere between a Fedora and a slightly outback'ish hat. I'll admit in the last few weeks of research, Fedora is a design I had wrong. (I'm 33 and was victim of the cliché internet trope.) Anyway, to avoid rambling, here are the specs I'm considering right now:

"Belmont" model dimensions, 4 1/4 Crown, 2 5/8 Brim, Western Weight (I'm gonna beat it like it owes me money), Dark Moss, Ribbon "12 Ligne" - Charcoal or Black, and bound Brim matching the Ribbon.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm currently wearing a Ballcap I won in a raffle at a Ham Radio Convention, so I know next to nothing about hats. If I'm way off, let me know, I won't mind. Also, my profile picture was taken within the last week, that is how I dress every day. Military habits I guess, OD Green Shirt, Jeans, and my custom made wesco jobmasters.

Nothing wrong with your specs. I does sound more like a dress hat made with western weight felt more than an Outback or hybrid hat. Personally, I’d want more brim width. I have a large head and a 2 5/8” brim is firmly in the dress hat range to my eye. I fish and hunt too, and I like the advantages of more shade and the larger drums give my hats a more outdoorsy feel.

This was today’s hat with a 3 1/4” brim:

EBA228BB-8922-40D1-9DDD-18F0391F599C.jpeg
81B369F4-7D95-49DE-8400-1F2D3A8161AF.jpeg
E855A4D1-9052-4C96-9B26-F7DB8F0D67D1.jpeg

I have two Gannons on order and they will both have 3 1/2” brims. That’s getting into the western range and it’s not a look for everyone. When you tell Michael what you want I’m sure he’ll have some suggestions. I don’t know what hat size you wear, but you’re definitely trimmer and in better shape than I am and a smaller brim (smaller than my 3+ inches) might look better proportioned on you. However, if your thinking about a hat for an outdoor lifestyle don’t forget the advantages of wider brims blocking more sun: hats are functional as well as stylish.

Scooterz

Practically Family
My personal preference is for brims between 2 3/8" and 2 3/4". I think I have one that is 3 in. I just don't tend to wear hats with larger brims than that. Its windy here so hats try to become kites sometimes. I used to wear my hats a size small just to keep them on my head better. Its much more satisfying to get a true sized hat and roll the dice about whether I have to chase it.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My brother is in Omaha for another week, then moves for work to another state.

I would also suggest a wider brim. My Stratton western/outback hat was cut down to 3" to correct a previous owner's fancy and I find myself wanting more brim in adverse weather. For a western, I'd also go with a crown closer to 5" as creased. I like my fedoras 4-1/2 to 4-3/4".

You might like the charcoal ribbon for the crown.. but have you considered a brim binding ribbon that more closely matches the felt?

My daughter's dress weight moss green with a 2-3/4" (?) brim a 4-3/4" crown with Ashen green ribbon and a cactus (?) brim binding:

Gannon Natural and Moss Green.jpeg

My Stratton:
Stratton_0219_01.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm 5'7", and not as thin framed as I used to be. I have an Oilskin hat that I tend only to wear if I'm out during heavy rain. It has a 3.5 inch brim, and sadly it feels a bit more than I want for every day.

I'm a bit under 5'7" and my go to hats are 3"+ brims. The Stetson Open Road, which is an archetypal dress western, was usually found with a 2 3/4" brim. The modern version comes with a creased height of 4 1/4" and many of us think it's a tad low.

There's a common trajectory with new members where over time, brims get bigger and crowns get taller. Not always, but often! It's not uncommon to have a bit of "hat anxiety" when transitioning to brimmed hats.

Here's a hat I made for myself, this brim is 3 1/4"

Here's a 3" brim Stetson with a # 52 block crown (also commonly used in fedoras)

I find that these wider ones do better at keeping the sun off the back of your neck in particular.

Hello Hat People!

Here is a Dark Moss in a 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend Western weight. This is my outdoors foul weather hat. I think going with the western weight is a good decision. I like the 50/50 and cannot tell the difference between it and a 100% beaver western weight i have
CIMG2002.JPG

Belkar

Familiar Face
Nothing wrong with your specs. I does sound more like a dress hat made with western weight felt more than an Outback or hybrid hat. Personally, I’d want more brim width. I have a large head and a 2 5/8” brim is firmly in the dress hat range to my eye. I fish and hunt too, and I like the advantages of more shade and the larger drums give my hats a more outdoorsy feel.

This was today’s hat with a 3 1/4” brim:

View attachment 279122 View attachment 279123 View attachment 279124

I have two Gannons on order and they will both have 3 1/2” brims. That’s getting into the western range and it’s not a look for everyone. When you tell Michael what you want I’m sure he’ll have some suggestions. I don’t know what hat size you wear, but you’re definitely trimmer and in better shape than I am and a smaller brim (smaller than my 3+ inches) might look better proportioned on you. However, if your thinking about a hat for an outdoor lifestyle don’t forget the advantages of wider brims blocking more sun: hats are functional as well as stylish.

That looks fantastic. And I'm honestly leaning towards 3 inches now.

My personal preference is for brims between 2 3/8" and 2 3/4". I think I have one that is 3 in. I just don't tend to wear hats with larger brims than that. Its windy here so hats try to become kites sometimes. I used to wear my hats a size small just to keep them on my head better. Its much more satisfying to get a true sized hat and roll the dice about whether I have to chase it.

For boating my Oilskin hat has a chinstrap, and I'm not really worried about appearances while fishing.

But that's a definite worry. I'd be really mad for one of these to blow away.

My brother is in Omaha for another week, then moves for work to another state.

I would also suggest a wider brim. My Stratton western/outback hat was cut down to 3" to correct a previous owner's fancy and I find myself wanting more brim in adverse weather. For a western, I'd also go with a crown closer to 5" as creased. I like my fedoras 4-1/2 to 4-3/4".

You might like the charcoal ribbon for the crown.. but have you considered a brim binding ribbon that more closely matches the felt?

My daughter's dress weight moss green with a 2-3/4" (?) brim a 4-3/4" crown with Ashen green ribbon and a cactus (?) brim binding:

View attachment 279125

My Stratton:
View attachment 279126

That is a gorgeous hat. (Both are really.)

And I'm not opposed to having the brim binding match the felt. I'm just not sure what I want at this point I suppose. And charcoal...yeah, that's nice looking.

I'm a bit under 5'7" and my go to hats are 3"+ brims. The Stetson Open Road, which is an archetypal dress western, was usually found with a 2 3/4" brim. The modern version comes with a creased height of 4 1/4" and many of us think it's a tad low.

There's a common trajectory with new members where over time, brims get bigger and crowns get taller. Not always, but often! It's not uncommon to have a bit of "hat anxiety" when transitioning to brimmed hats.

Here's a hat I made for myself, this brim is 3 1/4"

Here's a 3" brim Stetson with a # 52 block crown (also commonly used in fedoras)

I find that these wider ones do better at keeping the sun off the back of your neck in particular.

That hat looks fantastic on you. But I'm not sure if I could pull it off. You're 100% right, I am experiencing a little hat anxiety.

Here is a Dark Moss in a 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend Western weight. This is my outdoors foul weather hat. I think going with the western weight is a good decision. I like the 50/50 and cannot tell the difference between it and a 100% beaver western weight i have View attachment 279129

That is an amazing color. And as for the 100% Beaver part, I just figure I might as well. I have no experience telling me that's better. Price difference isn't too bad really.

Please forgive the slow replies. I work in a jail pretending to be a hospital, and the cell reception there is horrible.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Please forgive the slow replies. I work in a jail pretending to be a hospital, and the cell reception there is horrible.

Ha! There's GOT to be a joke in there somewhere. Where's Fruno when you need him?

Seriously, welcome to the board. Michael has made me two custom hats, and I am extremely pleased with both. As others have already said, he's a great guy to work with, and seems eager to make sure you get the hat you want.

Brim size is a tough call, especially for your first hat when you're trying to get used to a full brim. My advice, if you're looking for an outdoor hat, is to get as big a brim and as tall a crown as you can bear. The crown can be easily lowered with a little manipulation, and the brim can be trimmed down if you decide you just can't take the "cowboy" jokes any more. ;)

Western-weight beaver is a really good choice for an outdoor hat, especially considering the small premium that Michael charges for it.

Good luck! I'm sure Michael will give you a hat that you will love for years.

Here is a Dark Moss in a 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend Western weight. This is my outdoors foul weather hat. I think going with the western weight is a good decision. I like the 50/50 and cannot tell the difference between it and a 100% beaver western weight i have View attachment 279129

I only have one 50/50 western weight hat and I was shocked at how hard the felt is. It’s not firm or stiff, the felt is rock hard. I like the hat, but I wasn't expecting the felt to be as harsh as it is. The fewer surprises the better when ordering custom hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21