Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

quikrick

One Too Many
I wore my fine new Gannon to work today, starting the new year off right! I did a few dry creases trying to see if I liked any of the ones I had in mind. None seemed to work on this hat. So I decided to go with the center crease alone, with a slight upturn of the brim. It still keeps the general shape of the hat, and I think at least, considering the color, that it looks more classy. You decide. So, as promised, new pics...
View attachment 297761
View attachment 297762
View attachment 297763
View attachment 297764
View attachment 297765
View attachment 297766
Robieman! That is my dream hat right there (well, one of them).

My latest Gannon:
This is a 100% nutria fur felt from Sunrise Hat Supply in Berkeley, California. The color is their version of Natural. I received the hat body from Sunrise and immediately noticed that it was a LOT less stiff than my previous two western hat bodies. The unfinished felt gave me great hope for the hat. I sent the felt to Gannon with a request that the crown thickness and feel be made more like a cross between a fedora and a typical western. Michael didn’t have a flange for the 3 1/2” brim that I wanted, so I bought the flange from the Hatters Supply House and had it shipped to Michael. The hat has an open crown of just under 6 1/2 inches and a bound brim width of 3 1/2 inches. The felt is absolutely incredible! It isn’t the clay or putty type that stays wherever you put it, but it’s soft and with gentle pressure you can crease the crown deeply and it’s also pops back to open crown without fuss and without crease lines in the felt. A little steam got it to stay in whatever crease I wanted. Michael chose the ribbon and binding, and I mostly stayed out of his way.

D9AF4B6F-A708-4446-96C7-8F7D3DF3761E.jpeg
78B0ECA6-6BE8-46D3-AC3D-24416CA6191F.jpeg
6669E164-1E68-4DB1-AC5A-F219F51288C7.jpeg
CC7EA88E-3C71-44AC-A547-BD20276D7E58.jpeg
0ECB82CE-8155-4370-B97C-6CBF3B9D5EA5.jpeg
2851D716-2519-468F-AEA0-9CD6152ACCF4.jpeg
98E86759-93B8-431B-8047-7C7C96052C21.jpeg
90CEF73F-2225-4C6F-A041-CC24C94DA5D0.jpeg
BBC36879-9315-41EE-B974-382F702CFD2E.jpeg

The felt really does change color depending on the light.

I can’t overstate how happy I am with how the hat turned out. Michael exceeded my already high expectations in every way! For my uses and preferences it’s heads and shoulders better than Winchester’s western beaver felt. This is close to great vintage western felt, and that’s saying something. My concerns are you don’t know what kind of felt you’re going to get from Sunrise until you have it in hand.

Attachments

• 5D8C7B4D-EADE-47AE-8FCA-2B01264C370E.jpeg
    5D8C7B4D-EADE-47AE-8FCA-2B01264C370E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 299

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
My latest Gannon:
This is a 100% nutria fur felt from Sunrise Hat Supply in Berkeley, California. The color is their version of Natural. I received the hat body from Sunrise and immediately noticed that it was a LOT less stiff than my previous two western hat bodies. The unfinished felt gave me great hope for the hat. I sent the felt to Gannon with a request that the crown thickness and feel be made more like a cross between a fedora and a typical western. Michael didn’t have a flange for the 3 1/2” brim that I wanted, so I bought the flange from the Hatters Supply House and had it shipped to Michael. The hat has an open crown of just under 6 1/2 inches and a bound brim width of 3 1/2 inches. The felt is absolutely incredible! It isn’t the clay or putty type that stays wherever you put it, but it’s soft and with gentle pressure you can crease the crown deeply and it’s also pops back to open crown without fuss and without crease lines in the felt. A little steam got it to stay in whatever crease I wanted. Michael chose the ribbon and binding, and I mostly stayed out of his way.

View attachment 300819 View attachment 300820 View attachment 300821 View attachment 300822 View attachment 300823 View attachment 300824 View attachment 300825 View attachment 300826 View attachment 300827

I can’t overstate how happy I am with how the hat turned out. Michael exceeded my already high expectations in every way! For my uses and preferences it’s heads and shoulders better than Winchester’s western beaver felt. This is close to great vintage western felt, and that’s saying something. My concerns are you don’t know what kind of felt you’re going to get from Sunrise until you have it in hand.

Wonderful hat Brent. I like the color. I sent an email to Michael earlier this afternoon. I’m looking forward to Michael’s reply. Wear your hat in good health.

Steven

quikrick

One Too Many
My latest Gannon:

View attachment 300819 View attachment 300820 View attachment 300821 View attachment 300822 View attachment 300823 View attachment 300824 View attachment 300825 View attachment 300826 View attachment 300827

Beautiful Brent, simply beautiful.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Excellent hat, Brent. Are you taking orders for any more Sunrise nutria felts???

My latest Gannon:

Excellent hat, Brent. Are you taking orders for any more Sunrise nutria felts???

Sunrise is having trouble keeping up with demand. I have a second similar hat about to come up in Gannon’s queue that has similar felt. I’ll update the Sunrise thread later, but they are a good company to work with and you can order the felt of Michael can order it for you when you order one of his hats.

https://www.sunrisehatsupplies.com/collections/coypu-hat-bodies

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Good to know. Thanks Brent, I've been waiting for something special to get back in Michael's queue and I think a nutria felt is just the thing!

Sunrise is having trouble keeping up with demand. I have a second similar hat about to come up in Gannon’s queue that has similar felt. I’ll update the Sunrise thread later, but they are a good company to work with and you can order the felt of Michael can order it for you when you order one of his hats.

https://www.sunrisehatsupplies.com/collections/coypu-hat-bodies

My latest Gannon:

Is the grey NUTRIA I have western or dress weight?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My latest Gannon:

Congrats Brent. I think you look sharp in the western styl'd hats. It is truly nice to zero in on hat felt, style and characteristics that you can cherish. Gannon's work on this hat is superb. His hatting skills are at the top of the game. Did by chance Michael say how the felt was to work with?

I have been curious to get a few long haired felts or heathered felt sand commission a Gannon series with them. Brent with your experience any vendor suggestions?

Your vast experiences with the different felt vendors and offerings are fun to read about. I am always amazed at how diverse the hats on your hat rack are. You are boldly using the different felt caps and they are very cool to see. Thanks for continuing to share your efforts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner