Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Rumad

One Too Many
NHD (New Hat Day) is coming shortly - congrats! A fine blue with dusty rose trimmings is what my computer screen shows. The band and interior is cool. Excellent fedora. If that hat does not catch attention nothing will. Congrats again sir.
Thanks Eric. It took me long enough to decide I figured I’d do it right. :)

Thank you, Rocky!
nPL2yle.png

:D

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Steven; Michael has a lot of options. Example: Here is a very cool green sweat.

i-FrSXtvc-M.jpg

A natural sweatband.

i-pFnTQs3-M.jpg

Interesting to see what folks choose.

Cheers, Eric -
Those natural sweatbands do turn color after you wear them, taking on oils from your skin. But they are the most comfortable sweats I have ever had the pleasure to wear on my head. I have one on my natural Gannon.

Last edited:

Tukwila

Sunrise is having trouble keeping up with demand. I have a second similar hat about to come up in Gannon’s queue that has similar felt. I’ll update the Sunrise thread later, but they are a good company to work with and you can order the felt of Michael can order it for you when you order one of his hats.

https://www.sunrisehatsupplies.com/collections/coypu-hat-bodies
They seem to have a lot of the 220 gram hat bodies in right now. I took a chance based on your good fortune with the natural nutria hat body, and ordered one. I even paid the extra 20 cents to upgrade shipping to USPS Priority Mail!

Tukwila

My latest Gannon:
This is a 100% nutria fur felt from Sunrise Hat Supply in Berkeley, California. The color is their version of Natural. I received the hat body from Sunrise and immediately noticed that it was a LOT less stiff than my previous two western hat bodies. The unfinished felt gave me great hope for the hat. I sent the felt to Gannon with a request that the crown thickness and feel be made more like a cross between a fedora and a typical western. Michael didn’t have a flange for the 3 1/2” brim that I wanted, so I bought the flange from the Hatters Supply House and had it shipped to Michael. The hat has an open crown of just under 6 1/2 inches and a bound brim width of 3 1/2 inches. The felt is absolutely incredible! It isn’t the clay or putty type that stays wherever you put it, but it’s soft and with gentle pressure you can crease the crown deeply and it’s also pops back to open crown without fuss and without crease lines in the felt. A little steam got it to stay in whatever crease I wanted. Michael chose the ribbon and binding, and I mostly stayed out of his way.

View attachment 300819 View attachment 300820 View attachment 300821 View attachment 300822 View attachment 300823 View attachment 300824 View attachment 300825 View attachment 300826 View attachment 300827

The felt really does change color depending on the light.

I can’t overstate how happy I am with how the hat turned out. Michael exceeded my already high expectations in every way! For my uses and preferences it’s heads and shoulders better than Winchester’s western beaver felt. This is close to great vintage western felt, and that’s saying something. My concerns are you don’t know what kind of felt you’re going to get from Sunrise until you have it in hand.
This really is an exceptional hat, Brent. I'm very impressed. As stated above, I just bought a nutria 220 gram hat body in natural in the hopes of scoring one as nice as you have here. Very nice indeed.

Rumad

One Too Many
My Gannon arrived late this morning. The navy and burgundy are gorgeous, and go very well together and the ribbon/bow work is really fantastic but what stands out to me, as a few of you have said, the pouncing is just amazing. It’s so soft and malleable. It just loves being touched. Anyway, it’s tax season so my personal photographer (AKA the wife) is hard to catch up with. I’ll get some decent pictures as soon as I can but I had to share. These two are pretty soon after it came out of the box, with a dry crease. I tried a diamond, as I prefer, but the hat was asking for a teardrop (or c-crown, whichever you prefer) so that’s what it’s got now. Later I touched up the side dents with a little bit of steam, as they wouldn’t stay put the way I wanted them to. Thanks to a bunch of you for the recommendation and all the guidance. Ciao for now.
8A0587B1-9993-4118-98F4-DFBA1075D1C9.jpeg
694B5912-81C9-4D4A-B6A8-1BA906C1683B.jpeg
53E6D188-703C-4798-8785-F31DE6C9EF79.jpeg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My Gannon arrived late this morning. The navy and burgundy are gorgeous, and go very well together and the ribbon/bow work is really fantastic but what stands out to me, as a few of you have said, the pouncing is just amazing. It’s so soft and malleable. It just loves being touched. Anyway, it’s tax season so my personal photographer (AKA the wife) is hard to catch up with. I’ll get some decent pictures as soon as I can but I had to share. These two are pretty soon after it came out of the box, with a dry crease. I tried a diamond, as I prefer, but the hat was asking for a teardrop (or c-crown, whichever you prefer) so that’s what it’s got now. Later I touched up the side dents with a little bit of steam, as they wouldn’t stay put the way I wanted them to. Thanks to a bunch of you for the recommendation and all the guidance. Ciao for now. View attachment 313229 View attachment 313230 View attachment 313231

That really turned out nice! Congratulations!

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My Gannon arrived late this morning. The navy and burgundy are gorgeous, and go very well together and the ribbon/bow work is really fantastic but what stands out to me, as a few of you have said, the pouncing is just amazing. It’s so soft and malleable. It just loves being touched. Anyway, it’s tax season so my personal photographer (AKA the wife) is hard to catch up with. I’ll get some decent pictures as soon as I can but I had to share. These two are pretty soon after it came out of the box, with a dry crease. I tried a diamond, as I prefer, but the hat was asking for a teardrop (or c-crown, whichever you prefer) so that’s what it’s got now. Later I touched up the side dents with a little bit of steam, as they wouldn’t stay put the way I wanted them to. Thanks to a bunch of you for the recommendation and all the guidance. Ciao for now. View attachment 313229 View attachment 313230 View attachment 313231

Just glorious! I can not wait to see more of this hat in your posts. Congrats to both you and Mr.Gannon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner