Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

I've assumed (and maybe it's a bad assumption) that the "nick foquet" style hat fans are in their 20s & 30s who go clubbing. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not my crowd.

Then again... I'm not sure who IS my crowd in these pandemic-infused times, where I'm actively trying to NOT get stuck in a room with hundreds of maskless people. ;)
I made a hat for a young lady, not distressed but that semi western look/wider brimmed look. She referred to it as a 'festival' hat. I had to look it up so I understood what she meant. It is a hat that a young(er) person would wear to a music festival such a Coachella (sp?).

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Giving this thread a bump to tell a bit about my experience with the Gannon Hat Company business. I went on the waiting list in early May. Michael started on the hat in mid-August and did a great job of keeping me in the loop as the hat progressed. For instance, I asked for a certain type of sweatband, Michael sent me images and descriptions of the similar types of sweatbands so I could choose which one I preferred. He kept me well informed on all such details.

Gannon offers to make a hat with a vintage feel and I, of course, requested such a finish. Michael contacted me during the process to let me know the current western weight felts from Winchester were much too stiff to let him work the felt to a vintage finish. He had tried with 2 separate felt bodies; he wasn't satisfied; apologized and offered to try and find a better (less stiff) felt body or refund my deposit. I asked him to proceed with the hat and not worry about the vintage feel for this hat.

I won't go on and on with details as I think the above should illustrate the point I'm trying to make. That point is, Gannon Hat Company is a vintage-type business: Committed to excellence in the product. Focused on customer satisfaction first. I am certain there are other good businesses out there, but Michael Gannon's business practices are very, very rare in today's world.

When my Gannon Big Four arrives I will post some pics and descriptions of the hat, but I felt (pun intended) that the business practices of the Gannon Hat Company deserved a post of its own.

I too admire the integrity that Mr.Gannon demonstrates with his craftsmanship and quality. It makes it a very easy decision to support his business.

I look forward to see the outcome of your collaboration.

I don't step outside my bubble that often so I was staggered to see how many of the "nick fouquet" style of hatters are out in the marketplace. Perusing Instagram there are waaaaay more of this BoHo style of hatters out there than classic fedora makers. The strange thing is I have yet to see anyone wearing one out and about. Perhaps I need to get out into the world more. There is a hatter in my city that makes this style and he runs it as livlihood charging twice what I charge and we use all the same materials (except I use vintage ribbon and he uses scrap). Kudos to Michael Gannon for turning out quality examples and understated ones as well. If he can expand his business by tapping into it...more power to him because like Picasso was a classicist painter before he ventured out into Cubism.....Michael will still know how to make a great classic fedora......no matter how much distressing he does.

+1 sir. I tip my brim to hatters making a living. Lots of space for all kinds of hats.

Cheers to all Gannon hat owners, Eric -

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Gannon Big Four (Plus)

A few posts earlier I had written of the exceptional business practices of Gannon Hat Co so I won’t rehash that here. This post is about the exceptional product that Gannon Hat Co produces. (tl;dr - Superb hat. Go Get a Gannon!)

Dimensions:
Crown: 6 ⅝”
Brim: 4 ½” gross
Pencil Roll: ¼” front and back; ½” on the sides
Six-Ply Ribbon: 11/16”
Whiskey beaver felt
Sweatband: Natural leather with gloss finish
Red Liner

20220919_134318.jpg
20220919_134359.jpg
20220919_134421.jpg

Never mind that the sweat looks white - it is a light tan color.

I asked Michael to take the Big Four dimensions and go bigger if possible. He delivered. Michael had said he couldn’t achieve the vintage feel on this hat but he has me fooled (then again, I have only touched one vintage hat in my adult life so what do I know). The crown is soft, supple and holds a dry crease. The brim actually is as stiff as Michael warned that it would be (stiff as any other western). All-in-all I think this hat is just right for me. The crown is doing everything I want it to do and the brim will hopefully hold that pencil curl forever.

A makeshift centerfire dry crease.
20220919_135446.jpg

I tried putting some rake in the crown to lower the back (also a dry crease)
20220919_144637.jpg

And, just for fun, I couldn’t resist a quick Butt crease.
20220919_164126.jpg

I think I am going to steam in a centerfire crease as it just goes with the hat.

This hat is everything I was shooting for and everything I hoped it would be. Right down to the red liner and six-ply hat band. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the help of @Jesse John and @carouselvic who helped me nail down the proper dimensions of the brim and pencil roll (the variable pencil roll is accurate. The brim… and the crown are bigger than the original Big Four). Thank you for taking the time to measure your hats and share the information with me.

That six-ply ribbon was a bugger to track down. I was willing to settle for three-ply but that was just as much of a unicorn. @deadlyhandsome offered to help in obtaining a six-ply ribbon. @belfastboy actually tipped me off on where to find some three-ply ribbon and voila, they also had a six-ply ribbon that was long enough for what I wanted. Thank you to each of you for your kind assistance.

Once I get the final crease in the hat, I will post a pic or two in the ‘Western anyone’ thread.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Gannon Big Four (Plus)

A few posts earlier I had written of the exceptional business practices of Gannon Hat Co so I won’t rehash that here. This post is about the exceptional product that Gannon Hat Co produces. (tl;dr - Superb hat. Go Get a Gannon!)

Dimensions:
Whiskey beaver felt
Red Liner

View attachment 452168 View attachment 452169 View attachment 452170

I asked Michael to take the Big Four dimensions and go bigger if possible. He delivered. Michael had said he couldn’t achieve the vintage feel on this hat but he has me fooled (then again, I have only touched one vintage hat in my adult life so what do I know). The crown is soft, supple and holds a dry crease. The brim actually is as stiff as Michael warned that it would be (stiff as any other western). All-in-all I think this hat is just right for me. The crown is doing everything I want it to do and the brim will hopefully hold that pencil curl forever.

View attachment 452171

View attachment 452172

View attachment 452173

I think I am going to steam in a centerfire crease as it just goes with the hat.

This hat is everything I was shooting for and everything I hoped it would be. Right down to the red liner and six-ply hat band. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the help of @Jesse John and @carouselvic who helped me nail down the proper dimensions of the brim and pencil roll (the variable pencil roll is accurate. The brim… and the crown are bigger than the original Big Four). Thank you for taking the time to measure your hats and share the information with me.

That six-ply ribbon was a bugger to track down. I was willing to settle for three-ply but that was just as much of a unicorn. @deadlyhandsome offered to help in obtaining a six-ply ribbon. @belfastboy actually tipped me off on where to find some three-ply ribbon and voila, they also had a six-ply ribbon that was long enough for what I wanted. Thank you to each of you for your kind assistance.

Once I get the final crease in the hat, I will post a pic or two in the ‘Western anyone’ thread.

Congrats sir. It is a fine big whiskey western styled hat!

when you get a chance I would love to see a pic of you wearing it about on "hat adventures." The hat wearing pics help me see the proportions easiler.

Cheers once again on the new Gannon. Eric -

Gannon Big Four (Plus)

Dimensions:
Whiskey beaver felt
Red Liner

View attachment 452168 View attachment 452169 View attachment 452170

View attachment 452171

View attachment 452172

View attachment 452173

Great hat! I really like how the curl turned out. I have a curled brim coming in a couple of weeks and I’d be over the moon if it turned out as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing your final shape.

tamz0r

Familiar Face
@ILB Frank great looking western! did you request the engraving on the sweatband? i think when he was making my hat a while back he said his engraving machine was broken

It's gold foil stamped. I was hoping he would be able to emboss it so it would last much longer. I have worn the foil off my other hats within a year.

It’s amazing to see 100 year ole sweatbands where the debossing is sharp and clear. Many of those with foil are also still in great shape. I wish hatters could recreate this service.

Black 100X pure western weight beaver felt with a 3/8” wide ribbon with a campaign bow. The brim edge is curled more on the sides and less on the front and back. The raw edge brim measures 3 1/2” after the curl. The crown is very soft but with more spring back than I was expecting; definitely not the clay-like type of felt. The hand is fantastic. The brim was actually a bit too soft and Michael added stiffeners to get it to hold the curl. Unfortunately, the curling shackle rubbing on the felt caused some shiny areas where the finish was overworked and the fur fibers were matted down just a bit. Michael was aware of this issue and made sure I was alright with it. He even offered me a refund. The problem in this case was with the felt and definitely not the hatter. Winchester just didn’t get the stiffeners right. The problems also might be specific to this hat body as Michael remarked that it was less stiff than most all of his Winchers western beaver felts. Michael’s work is great and he works hard to meet his customers’ expectations. I’m in queue for another :)

0DF3CE89-2060-4A76-942E-77B508D87009.jpeg
33EBA5C5-E445-45B1-904F-46ED4E1651DC.jpeg
79BFBB43-E34A-4BFB-AE07-4AB9F9EB7629.jpeg
CC901D66-A7CC-468B-A4BE-0F2E17240D18.jpeg
296DA366-E4A6-44A4-92E2-F0BA090ABFB7.jpeg

Rather than just describing what I wanted to Michael I sent him photos of a Stetson Boss Raw Edge belonging to @carouselvic and an old Mallory and Sons that @BobHufford posted a year or two ago. I opted for a bit more brim width.

Last edited:

Scooterz

Practically Family
Black 100X pure western weight beaver felt with a 3/8” wide ribbon with a campaign bow. The brim edge is curled more on the sides and less on the front and back. The raw edge brim measures 3 1/2” after the curl. The crown is very soft but with more spring back than I was expecting; definitely not the clay-like type of felt. The hand is fantastic. The brim was actually a bit too soft and Michael added stiffeners to get it to hold the curl. Unfortunately, the curling shackle rubbing on the felt caused some shiny areas where the finish was overworked and the fur fibers were matted down. Michael was aware of this issue, but I still like the hat and I figure this is the price paid to be an early adapter. I hope that with experience the brim curling issues get resolved. Don’t get me wrong, that hat is great, but I’ve come to expect near perfection from Michael and this hat isn’t quite there. The problems also might be specific to this hat body as Michael remarked that it was less stiff than most all of his Winchers western beaver felts.

View attachment 456864 View attachment 456865 View attachment 456866 View attachment 456867 View attachment 456868
Looks great. Congratulations. I think it is "lightly distressed", people pay extra for that.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Black 100X pure western weight beaver felt with a 3/8” wide ribbon with a campaign bow. The brim edge is curled more on the sides and less on the front and back. The raw edge brim measures 3 1/2” after the curl. The crown is very soft but with more spring back than I was expecting; definitely not the clay-like type of felt. The hand is fantastic. The brim was actually a bit too soft and Michael added stiffeners to get it to hold the curl. Unfortunately, the curling shackle rubbing on the felt caused some shiny areas where the finish was overworked and the fur fibers were matted down. Michael was aware of this issue, but I still like the hat and I figure this is the price paid to be an early adapter. I hope that with experience the brim curling issues get resolved. Don’t get me wrong, that hat is great, but I’ve come to expect near perfection from Michael and this hat isn’t quite there. The problems also might be specific to this hat body as Michael remarked that it was less stiff than most all of his Winchers western beaver felts.

View attachment 456864 View attachment 456865 View attachment 456866 View attachment 456867 View attachment 456868

Rather than just describing what I wanted to Michael I sent him photos of a Stetson Boss Raw Edge belonging to @carouselvic and an old Mallory and Sons that @BobHufford posted a year or two ago. I opted for a bit more brim width.
Excellent choice of style and well done by Michael. I think Michael better order a lot more red liners.

I concur with you about the crown as that is the same thing I got on my Big Four style (soft and springy). The bash held fine but It took some time and work to get the side dents to stay put. The brim on mine however, was/is very stiff. I didn't notice any overworked areas on the kettle curl.

Fedoras, vintage finishes, distressed finishes, westerns... Michael is truly becoming a man of many hats. That's a good thing indeed.

Excellent choice of style and well done by Michael. I think Michael better order a lot more red liners.

I concur with you about the crown as that is the same thing I got on my Big Four style (soft and springy). The bash held fine but It took some time and work to get the side dents to stay put. The brim on mine however, was/is very stiff. I didn't notice any overworked areas on the kettle curl.

Fedoras, vintage finishes, distressed finishes, westerns... Michael is truly becoming a man of many hats. That's a good thing indeed.

Michael told me that he had trouble with your hat because the felt was so firm and with mine because the brim was so soft. I think he used the shackle over and over again along with applying stiffeners. The look isn’t bad, but I notice it and it surprised me as Michael is usually such a perfectionist. I have no doubt he would want it back if I wasn’t happy and he would make it over again, but I’m trying to not be too picky on an western hat. I’m just spoiled as in the past I could never find anything that wasn’t perfect on my Gannons.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Michael told me that he had trouble with your hat because the felt was so firm and with mine because the brim was so soft. I think he used the shackle over and over again along with applying stiffeners. The look isn’t bad, but I notice it and it surprised me as Michael is usually such a perfectionist. I have no doubt he would want it back if I wasn’t happy and he would make it over again, but I’m trying to not be too picky on an western hat. I’m just spoiled as in the past I could never find anything that wasn’t perfect on my Gannons.
Raises some questions about Winchester's quality control these days. Same western weight beaver felts with two VERY different characteristics.

Raises some questions about Winchester's quality control these days. Same western weight beaver felts with two VERY different characteristics.

Sadly it’s nothing new. Over some years I’ve had custom hats from several hatters where flaws in the felt were exposed during the process of making the hat. Stiffness has also been all over the board from what should have been identical felts. It’s the same with Sunrise nutria felt. I think FEPSA might be more consistent, but the price is double or more.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

Beautiful! Wear your hat in good health.

Steven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

That is a grand black felt Boss inspired hat. I like it. My eye did not leap and see shiny spots under the curl, rather focused on the curvaceous features. Excellent inspiration that produced a fun wearable hat. The hat should have years and years of wearing. Who knows with some wear (rain and honest wear) perhaps the felt will not show shiny.

Brent I have been a stronger black hat fan. Your generosity has me enjoying the black Dobbs Leisure Light. I love the fedora. It promotes a high appreciation of black (charcoal) hats. Black does show dust and dirt easily. My wearing of black hats recently have them showing dust from raking, small leaf particles, fingerprints and rain spots. I have been trained to "not see" the marks. Inside with a stiff brush I get them at their best.

Anywhoo, Brent grand hat. Thanks for thinking out of the box and on your collaboration with Michael.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff