Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
My new Gannon defied the USPS trackers and arrived before the weekend!

Friends, this is one HECK of a hat!

Details to come, I’m still enjoying it too much to analyze it. Here it is in all its chaste magnificence.

Thank you, Michael!

IMG_8907.jpeg

IMG_8908.jpeg

IMG_8910.jpeg

IMG_8914.jpeg

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Good golly what a great Gannon! Be sure to put it on your dresser so you can stare at it when you wake up during the night!
Honestly, he’s probably going back in the box until I get back to work. My health is much better now than it was but still not strong enough for the road.

This guy is motivation.

Plus, he feels like a working hat and not an every day hat. He was designed that way: big (but not too big) and robust and yet a bit understated. He doesn’t really fit into my sedentary life, which is much more fedora-oriented.

The way I’m measuring, I read him at 6 inches open crown and the brim 2 3/4 not counting the curl.

He is green-hued, but I’m okay with that. I include a photo beside a red-hued dark brown. I would have preferred a red hue, but this works very well.

I love the bow - the little peekaboo center does add a special touch.

The hand on this felt cannot be overpraised. It is is magical. And the sweatband is of much better quality than I anticipated. This is an excellent piece of craftsmanship.

Here is an initial bash - I’m sure to tweak it throughout the coming days.

Enjoy your weekend friends.

IMG_8916.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

IMG_8928.jpeg

IMG_8927.jpeg

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
Congrats on that Gannon, Nathan! That is a stunner, fo sho! I reckon it did turn out with a green hue but its a beauty, regardless. And that peekaboo bow and ribbon treatment; holy moley! The rocket city will never know what hit 'em. Now, you can get back in the queue, as a 3 month wait will give you time to save up and plan your next collab.
Honestly, he’s probably going back in the box until I get back to work. My health is much better now than it was but still not strong enough for the road.

This guy is motivation.

Plus, he feels like a working hat and not an every day hat. He was designed that way: big (but not too big) and robust and yet a bit understated. He doesn’t really fit into my sedentary life, which is much more fedora-oriented.

The way I’m measuring, I read him at 6 inches open crown and the brim 2 3/4 not counting the curl.

He is green-hued, but I’m okay with that. I include a photo beside a red-hued dark brown. I would have preferred a red hue, but this works very well.

I love the bow - the little peekaboo center does add a special touch.

The hand on this felt cannot be overpraised. It is is magical. And the sweatband is of much better quality than I anticipated. This is an excellent piece of craftsmanship.

Here is an initial bash - I’m sure to tweak it throughout the coming days.

Enjoy your weekend friends.

View attachment 552120
View attachment 552121
View attachment 552122
View attachment 552123 View attachment 552124

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Congrats on that Gannon, Nathan! That is a stunner, fo sho! I reckon it did turn out with a green hue but its a beauty, regardless. And that peekaboo bow and ribbon treatment; holy moley! The rocket city will never know what hit 'em. Now, you can get back in the queue, as a 3 month wait will give you time to save up and plan your next collab.
Thanks Phil! It sure is a treat to get such a high quality hat made special for me!

But I am gonna have to wait before committing to another one until I know if I can get back to work in the new year.

Meanwhile, I am still tweaking this one. I dropped the back into a tugboat look and raised the front brim a bit. A little bit fedora and a little bit western. I feel that also alleviates some of the “oversized Indiana Jones” look.

I did just find out about what’s going on in Israel. I have some friends who have lost people in the festival strike. Not to get into politics, but that has distracted me from full immersion into this new hat experience. May God bless that situation as well as the leaders who are making decisions on all sides. A new hat just seems ultra-miniscule tonight but I am grateful for the safety to enjoy it.

IMG_8932.jpeg

IMG_8929.jpeg

hambone71

Practically Family
Thanks Phil! It sure is a treat to get such a high quality hat made special for me!

But I am gonna have to wait before committing to another one until I know if I can get back to work in the new year.

Meanwhile, I am still tweaking this one. I dropped the back into a tugboat look and raised the front brim a bit. A little bit fedora and a little bit western. I feel that also alleviates some of the “oversized Indiana Jones” look.

I did just find out about what’s going on in Israel. I have some friends who have lost people in the festival strike. Not to get into politics, but that has distracted me from full immersion into this new hat experience. May God bless that situation as well as the leaders who are making decisions on all sides. A new hat just seems ultra-miniscule tonight but I am grateful for the safety to enjoy it.

View attachment 552141
View attachment 552143
Heartbreaking, what's happening over there.

I hope you can enjoy playing around with your new custom made beaver felt. Looks great, what you've done with it. Show us the liner and sweat when you get a chance. I've already been on Gannon's IG page tonight trying to get ideas for my next. I'm thinking I may have to go with one of those peekaboo bows for myself.

hambone71

Practically Family

View attachment 552141
View attachment 552143
I scrolled back up and saw the liner and sweat in your first post lol. I had already forgotten. I've looked at too many hats tonight. :p

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I might have to eat my words about putting my new Gannon in its box until I get back to work. That’s going to be difficult to do anymore since I have fallen in love with it so much.

My only initial critique with this guy was a big one: he developed a serious side-to-side taper after steam. The story behind that taper is not worth recounting here; and after working with the bash a number of hours this weekend I discovered this tight cattleman configuration and immediately fell for it, so the issue was resolved anyway. To me this crease is reminiscent of the Spanish-American War era.

The color is not really dark brown. I actually think of this as some kind of green - maybe a dark peat moss. I love it though and wouldn’t change it now.

And the felt, oh my goodness the felt!! Simply amazing!

We had a wonderful walk through the neighborhood today. I really feel very comfortable and confident in this hat not only in my physical person but also in my personality.

IMG_8959.jpeg

IMG_8960.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

IMG_8962.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I might have to eat my words about putting my new Gannon in its box until I get back to work. That’s going to be difficult to do anymore since I have fallen in love with it so much.

My only initial critique with this guy was a big one: he developed a serious side-to-side taper after steam. The story behind that taper is not worth recounting here; and after working with the bash a number of hours this weekend I discovered this tight cattleman configuration and immediately fell for it, so the issue was resolved anyway. To me this crease is reminiscent of the Spanish-American War era.

The color is not really dark brown. I actually think of this as some kind of green - maybe a dark peat moss. I love it though and wouldn’t change it now.

And the felt, oh my goodness the felt!! Simply amazing!

We had a wonderful walk through the neighborhood today. I really feel very comfortable and confident in this hat not only in my physical person but also in my personality.

View attachment 552711
View attachment 552712
View attachment 552713
View attachment 552714
View attachment 552715

I really like the shape you found for that hat - very nice job!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
@The Lost Cowboy thats a REALLY cool hat.

2 questions: is that dress felt or western?

and is that some sort of decorative stitching along the brim?
I really like the shape you found for that hat - very nice job!
Thanks guys!

To answer the questions:
1. This is dress weight.

2. Good eye! Yes, I requested an accent stitch on the brim. I wish now I had requested it in a contrasting color, but it’s also fine the way it is.

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 552141
View attachment 552143
Beautiful hat—has kind of a 1920s vibe. Enjoy!

hambone71

Practically Family
Wearing my Gannon for some cold weather grilling tonight. I really like this hat and would like to get back in Mr. Gannon's queue sometime. I have other hat makers I would like to try as well though.
View attachment 566431
Always a pleasure seeing that Highwayman.

Me, taken by surprise at a wedding reception a few weeks ago. Sporting my latest Gannon.
Screenshot_20231126-095833_kindlephoto-1075864560.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran