Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made a Commercial Flight Jacket and a Car Club Jacket

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I´ve made the pattern from a Vintage 1950s Commercial Flight Jacket I´ve purchased a few month ago. Cuffs and waistband of the vintage Jacket were in minor shape... so I´ve decided to replace them. The Jacket was mostly deconstructed for replacement... so I´ve took it totally in pieces and drafted my own pattern from it.

I´ve finished this one yesterday:
l_94510aed19e6461c90454da880222e1a.jpg

l_b8c0b60e1f7948f4a350aa4bc8618474.jpg

l_3bf654c80cfa4fb3ae07772a65db02bb.jpg

This is the first Jacket from "my" pattern. My brother wanted to have a Flight Jacket and I´ve took a look at my little fabric/ sewing supplies stock to see what I can do on the short run.

I´m planning to make a proper Reproduction for me... a NOS Talon brass Zipper for front closure is just on it´s way to Daddy :)

...and here´s a Clicker/ Car Club Jacket I´ve made about two weeks ago:

l_ba828f175c5e458ca42875ab425bbe98.jpg

l_929ac4d976cf43f0a7cd6cc96f6aab4d.jpg

After I´ve finished this one I´ve found a good supplier for knitted cuffs in many plain colours, with one stripe and with two stripes... so for upcoming projects i will use some of those

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Hi Christian!

Ich wollte Dir eine Nachricht schicken... das ging aber nicht, da Du noch neu bist und zu wenige Beiträge hast.
Bei Interesse kannst Du mich ja mal kontaktieren: theslopshop@aol.de

Edward

Bartender
Hepville said:
Thank you, Edward! It´s a heavyweight cotton/ canvas.

Looks superb. Much as I'm a fan of military flying jackets from that period, I love seeing civilian styles. You thinking of going into business with these at all?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Excellent work! Again, it's good to see another Lounger making things. If we keep this up, who knows, some of you youngsters may form the foundation of a new craft-based 'cottage industry'.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thank you Guys!
I love those civilian styles, too. I belong to the 50s/ Rockabilly scene here in Germany. For me it´s sometimes strange to see how much military stuff (Boots, Trousers, Jackets, complete Uniforms e. g.) the Guys are wearing. I have some items, too... and I like them... but when I´m on a Hop or Weekender I personally don´t want to look always like a tarted up GI with a Pomp;)

Because of legal requirements and reserves you must have it´s not that easy to start a business here.
Actually I make things for people and get payd for it from time to time... but you can´t really call it a side business.

Here´s a Sweatshirt I´ve finished about two hours ago:
l_017a65fb47a9415bbdd02743f5776ed1.jpg

And here´s another Jacket I´ve made for a Guy in Austria:
l_f99d98ea7d0a43b4bfda7523558fba81.jpg

And from this one I want to make a reproduction as close as I can get to the picture:
l_88fef97efd784b73899b28b6be8442b6.jpg

...still have to figure where I can get the buttons...

I´m making Jackets, Shirts, Sweatshirts, Caps... but Jackets really are my passion I guess... they are so fun to make and there are so many cool styles.
In my mind there are some other Jacket styles that want to be made/ reproduced :)

fishmeok

Vendor
EXCELLENT work! Very well done!:eusa_clap

Isn't it a great feeling when you finish something, put it on, and say "yep, that's it." :)

You will have to show us pics of those striped knits- I think the right kind would look great on a pre-war civilian flight jacket. Don't be afraid of working with leather, but you will need a compound feed industrial with a servo motor to be able to make jackets properly.

You already have 95% of the skills, the rest is just working with the quirks in the hides and learning a few tricks to make things easier. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Cheers
Mark

Hepville

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
EXCELLENT work! Very well done!:eusa_clap

Isn't it a great feeling when you finish something, put it on, and say "yep, that's it." :)

You will have to show us pics of those striped knits- I think the right kind would look great on a pre-war civilian flight jacket. Don't be afraid of working with leather, but you will need a compound feed industrial with a servo motor to be able to make jackets properly.

You already have 95% of the skills, the rest is just working with the quirks in the hides and learning a few tricks to make things easier. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Cheers
Mark
Thank you Mark!
Yeah... it´s a real good feeling! ... Or you have something just in mind and you KNOW it will be good when you make it.

I have the colour samples for the knits here: About 90 colours can be combined... a pretty good range. The first set is ordered and I will show pics when I have them.
Actually the knits come from a "Cottage Industry" and are crafted/ made to order with a hand knitting machine. Thats why you can´t get them as yardgood. They come in pieces you can stretch to a max of about 53cm/ 20,9 Inch and are 16cm/ 6,3 Inch broad... that means you will have finished knits of 3,15 Inch broadness minus the seam allowance... that means you have to sew some together for a waistband. The quality is top notch and I accept this little harm for the good quality.

When I´m on the point to start working with leather I will be glad to contact you for some tips/ advice, thank you!

Cheers, Béla

Hepville

One of the Regulars
The base is a vintage pattern combined with elements of other patterns and self drafted pattern pieces based on existing vintage Jackets.

Thats what I like to do sometimes: Bringing together "typical" elements of vintage Jackets in a way from what I think it will look good... instead of making exact copies... it gives me more a feeling of creating something ;)

alfyman

One of the Regulars
The Flight Jacket

I love that you were able to replicate the flight jacket, If you ever made it with a bigger Fur Collar i would buy it.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thank you Guys!

Tony No-Toes: Yeah, I know. I have seen some with faux fur collar... but faux fur just doesn´t feel right to me...

alfyman: Adding a bigger collar would´t be a problem, but bigger like 1 Inch to this collar wouldn´t look so good on this style of jacket IMHO.

I hope my knits will come by the middle of the week... so I can finish the "final version" of the Car Club Jacket made of the right fabrics and stitched embroidery on the back.
Meanwhile I´ve started with the Varsity Jacket and after this my B- 15ish Flight Jacket is scheduled :)

Hepville

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
You will have to show us pics of those striped knits...

Here is one of them, Mark:
l_9e377201bc9e43749b72e3d48267e0d7.jpg

It´s excellent stuff to work with... very well made and thick.

And here´s the Car Club/ Clicker Jacket how I really want it to be:

l_1a6f61c387f64e818684f553597b4590.jpg

l_a51b164ad81a414fa8002b7545fe72be.jpg

Heavyweight wool (about 24Oz, I believe), lined with black Linen and the back was stitched by a little embroidery service in my area... again Cottage Industry :)
Now that´s a Jacket I would like to own ;)

Bela

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo