Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mailboxes

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to remind you to clean out your pm mailboxes now and again, ladies and gents. You can't receive new pm's with a full mailbox!!!

Decodence

A-List Customer
And here I thought this was going to be about mailboxes affixed next to the front door instead of "rural delivery" boxes which are so prevelant these days. Through the door or wall mail slots would be even better. ;)

RIOT

Practically Family
I thought I was going to see some wild and crazy mailboxes such as this

box2.jpg

PM box cleared ;)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Decodence said:
Through the door or wall mail slots would be even better. ;)

Yeah, my in-laws have a mail slot in their front door and I love it. I remember keeping a watch out for the mailman as a kid because I loved getting the mail, especially if it was for me! We had a box on the porch next to the front door. Nowadays with my mailbox by the road, it's out of my way to get mail from it. My mailman keeps threatening to stop my mail because I keep letting it stack up ... :( :eek:

Decodence

A-List Customer
The Dame said:
Yeah, my in-laws have a mail slot in their front door and I love it. I remember keeping a watch out for the mailman as a kid because I loved getting the mail, especially if it was for me! We had a box on the porch next to the front door. Nowadays with my mailbox by the road, it's out of my way to get mail from it. My mailman keeps threatening to stop my mail because I keep letting it stack up ... :( :eek:
Yeah, "rural delivery" boxes as they are known are certainly one of the contributing factors to the downfall of neighborhoods. I'm lucky, here in the 80-year old neighborhoods, they don't exist. All post is on foot, door to door by a mailman in a pith helmet of all things.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This thread reminded me of a story...

Growing up in a suburb of Los Angeles (South Gate) the two houses we lived in had a mail slot in the wall next to the front door with the outside slot higher than the inside--there was a space inside the wall for the letters. They didn't just drop onto the floor.

At our first house to get to the front door you walked past the windows of the dining room to the porch. One day we came home to find a broken-out dining room window, a trail of letters from the porch to the sidewalk, and our German Shepherd sitting happily on the porch waiting for us! :eusa_doh: lol

My mother immediately called the Post Office, fearing the worst. She was told that Wolfgang had simply chased the mailman to the edge of our property, then stopped. Of course, he wasn't about to go back for the letters he'd dropped! My mother delivered those.

During a large part of my adult life I've had to go to Postal Service Centers (PSC) to get my mail. Now I have to walk down to the highway to my rural mail box to get the mail delivered by the rural carrier--unless they drive up to the house to deliver yet another eBay purchase!

Speaking of rural carriers, they all seem to drive their own cars. They sit on the right side, stretching their legs over to work the pedals and steering with their left hands. I find that strange, since the carriers I see in the cities delivering mail are driving right-hand drive vehicles.

All comes down to cost-effectiveness, I suppose--cheaper for the government to pay a mileage allowance than to maintain a fleet. Still, you'd think that it would be considered to dangerous to allow.

That's enough meandering on the subject of mailboxes and carriers for one day.

Cheers,
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo