Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Make your own vintage inspired hats

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,174
Location
Minneapolis
I love how the brim tunred out and I love your blythe. Is she an original? I have the Ashton Drake Copy and simplicity has a new pattern for Blythe doll clothes.:eek:fftopic:
 

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Messages
201
Location
Seattle
Thanks deadpandiva. She's an Ashton-Drake Blythe as well, Pinfore Purple. I sometimes try to restrain myself from getting my dollies in *every* photo, but they are scattered all over my craft room. lol
 

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Messages
9,087
Location
Crummy town, USA
Made this beret to match a dress I made. View C. It came together fairly easily and was not hard to add an extra inch to the design.

1081.jpg


front-7.jpg


backs.jpg


back-2.jpg


LD
 

crwritt

One Too Many
Messages
1,109
Location
Falmouth ME
Lady Day said:
Made this beret to match a dress I made. View C. It came together fairly easily and was not hard to add an extra inch to the design.

1081.jpg


front-7.jpg

LD that is one cute hat. I often wonder how pattern companies came up with the idea that the average human female's head is the size of a toddler's.
I have a good sized head and lots of hair as well. Finding a ready to wear hat
is a challenge, I was thrilled when I first found a hat pattern, and so disappointed when it came out so much too small.
 

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,174
Location
Minneapolis
LD-I have this pattern. I got it specifically for that view. I think I will have to give it a try as your's looks so cute. I think mine is the same size. I am a 22 1/2 so I guess I better make a muslin.
 

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
Messages
168
Location
Somewhere, Under the Sea...in the UK
i'm so glad this post got bumped, i would love to make a hat but i fear i may be overestimating the amount of time i have to fool around with things like that! lol

i have however, seen a fabulous crocheted hat pattern which i would love to get
0Ygi.jpg

i've never crocheted anything before in my life, but i think if i get some wool and a hook, then it is something to keep my hands busy while watching tv, and if i get good enough, i may even be able to make something other than mat (which is all i was ever able to knit :rolleyes: ) i have watched a couple of tutorials and am thinking it might be possible.....!

anyway, has anyone ever made anything like this? i see plenty of berets, but i just love this squashy fedora. and plus, it is just what i have been looking for in a hat :)
 

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Messages
9,087
Location
Crummy town, USA
deadpandiva said:
LD-I have this pattern. I got it specifically for that view. I think I will have to give it a try as your's looks so cute. I think mine is the same size. I am a 22 1/2 so I guess I better make a muslin.

I dont think you need to make a muslin. I didnt. All I did to add more width was make the band in the back 1" longer and space the attaching pieces accordingly (I used Josephine for that), and raise the grosgrain band on the inside up a tad to add a bit more width to the front inside. That was it and it fits pretty well.

Its a topper mostly, sans the back fit, like the picture suggests.

LD
 

Marla

A-List Customer
Messages
421
Location
USA
Jasmine Jolene said:
i've never crocheted anything before in my life, but i think if i get some wool and a hook, then it is something to keep my hands busy while watching tv, and if i get good enough, i may even be able to make something other than mat (which is all i was ever able to knit :rolleyes: ) i have watched a couple of tutorials and am thinking it might be possible.....!

Do give it a go! Just take it slow, follow the instructions to the letter, research what you don't understand. Maybe practice the difficult parts using a scrap piece of yarn. The first think I ever knit was a sweater, and crochet is not (very) different.
 

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,174
Location
Minneapolis
Lady Day said:
I dont think you need to make a muslin. I didnt. All I did to add more width was make the band in the back 1" longer and space the attaching pieces accordingly (I used Josephine for that), and raise the grosgrain band on the inside up a tad to add a bit more width to the front inside. That was it and it fits pretty well.

Its a topper mostly, sans the back fit, like the picture suggests.

LD
Thanks. I just pulled my pattern and its a 23" so I am just gonna give it a go with no changes.
 

crwritt

One Too Many
Messages
1,109
Location
Falmouth ME
I posted this in the "Show us what you made" thread, but thought I'd bring it here too, since it involves hats.
A couple weeks ago I ordered some plain felt cloche hats from National
3845_main

3845_main
Only $9.95 and they come in a whole rainbow of colors. I got the hunter green and the camel.
60200_1185679179172_1744062716_363523_3679332_n.jpg

Now I need to stretch them just a little (big head, so much hair!) and trim them.
I experimented with pinning on a felt flower and a knit flower I made awhile back.
60200_1185679299175_1744062716_363526_6469645_n.jpg
/60200_1185679259174_1744062716_363525_5850464_n.jpg[/IMG]
60453_1185679019168_1744062716_363522_4553799_n.jpg
I'd also like to try some kind of ribbon trim, probably on the green hat.
60200_1185679219173_1744062716_363524_5786147_n.jpg

Any tried and true suggestions for stretching these hats about an inch? Do I have to soak them or can I steam them with the kettle?
 

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,174
Location
Minneapolis
crwritt said:
I posted this in the "Show us what you made" thread, but thought I'd bring it here too, since it involves hats.
A couple weeks ago I ordered some plain felt cloche hats from National
3845_main

3845_main
Only $9.95 and they come in a whole rainbow of colors. I got the hunter green and the camel.
60200_1185679179172_1744062716_363523_3679332_n.jpg

Now I need to stretch them just a little (big head, so much hair!) and trim them.
I experimented with pinning on a felt flower and a knit flower I made awhile back.
60200_1185679299175_1744062716_363526_6469645_n.jpg
/60200_1185679259174_1744062716_363525_5850464_n.jpg[/IMG]
60453_1185679019168_1744062716_363522_4553799_n.jpg
I'd also like to try some kind of ribbon trim, probably on the green hat.
60200_1185679219173_1744062716_363524_5786147_n.jpg

Any tried and true suggestions for stretching these hats about an inch? Do I have to soak them or can I steam them with the kettle?

I steam mine with a kettle or the steam setting on the iron. Do you have a hat block to streach them over or are you using another method? I have had moderate luck with this method but I think it's because I need a bigger hat block.
 

Marla

A-List Customer
Messages
421
Location
USA
deadpandiva said:
I steam mine with a kettle or the steam setting on the iron. Do you have a hat block to streach them over or are you using another method? I have had moderate luck with this method but I think it's because I need a bigger hat block.

Lacking a hat block, I once stretched a hat by stuffing it to full capacity with towels, steaming it with an iron, stuffing it with more towels, steaming, etc. An amateur method, but it worked!
 

crwritt

One Too Many
Messages
1,109
Location
Falmouth ME
deadpandiva said:
I steam mine with a kettle or the steam setting on the iron. Do you have a hat block to streach them over or are you using another method? I have had moderate luck with this method but I think it's because I need a bigger hat block.

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. I don't have a hat block and I've used a certain sized mixing bowl before, but I just don't like the shape of it, and its not quite big enough.

Here's what I tried, after thinking about it awhile and researching hat stretchers online.I almost bought one of the wooden type with a turnbuckle, they say to dampen your hat and increase the size gradually.
Then I had a brainstorm and I think it worked pretty well... I found a kid's toy
vinyl ball about the same measurement as my head, dampened the hat and slightly deflated the ball,then I stuffed the ball into the hat and re-inflated it!
My head measures 24", I measured the hat with the ball inside at 25", and left it to dry, I just tried it on, its still a bit damp, but I think this is the first time I've ever put on a hat that isn't too tight!
 

crwritt

One Too Many
Messages
1,109
Location
Falmouth ME
I just bought some vintage Vogue repro patterns on sale, has anyone made the hat pattern v7464? I've started on view c, (center right) from a striped suiting fabric. So far it makes little sense, but then all of these hats look like they were imagined by Marcel Duchamp.
V7464.jpg
 

texasgirl

One Too Many
Messages
1,423
Location
Dallas, TX
I have that hat- I bought it from Lady Day, you might check with her. I love it. Got tons of compliments when I wore it to a WWII event. Several people in the know thought it was vintage.

wax09011.jpg
 

crwritt

One Too Many
Messages
1,109
Location
Falmouth ME
Texasgirl, somewhere in the back of my mind I recall her posting about it. It looks like a thick wool or felt.
How cool that it looks real enough vintage to fool those in the know!
Here's how my version came out. I used a remnant of suiting fabric, most likely polyester.
68082_1195590586951_1744062716_378739_1533392_n.jpg

and another view
68082_1195590746955_1744062716_378742_5604001_n.jpg

and here are the cloche hats with trimming
68082_1195590626952_1744062716_378740_4653999_n.jpg

65949_1195594747055_1744062716_378745_6668216_n.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
100,970
Messages
2,865,687
Members
48,606
Latest member
demonlemon
Top