Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make your own vintage inspired hats

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
LD:

Just wondering if you noticed this pattern that the seller you are talking about has up for auction, even though it is a repro...

http://cgi.ebay.com/H5685-1930s-Hat...itu=UCC&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=7116592174198421935

I am wondering in your experience if you've ever seen anything similar and how difficult this looks to sew. It's weird because seller doesn't include any more details about what is involved in the making of this. I am really dying for a few 30's style hats but am a beginner at sewing.

Sorry, this is off topic :eek:fftopic:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I just picked up a book at the library that you ladies might find interesting. It's a hat making book, but it's really easy to follow. It's aimed at modern girls who want the edgy hat look, but her instructions and patterns are based on a lot of vintage styles. I haven't tried her patterns yet, but free is a good price even if I end up hating them. It's Saturday Night Hat, by Eugenia Kim.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Gracie Lee said:
I just picked up a book at the library that you ladies might find interesting. It's a hat making book, but it's really easy to follow. It's aimed at modern girls who want the edgy hat look, but her instructions and patterns are based on a lot of vintage styles. I haven't tried her patterns yet, but free is a good price even if I end up hating them. It's Saturday Night Hat, by Eugenia Kim.
My sisr has that book. There are som really cut hats in it.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Oh, thanks for moving this post...wow I didn't realize there was a lot of convo about this pattern in another thread!

Hopefully people will report back when they've attempted this - I would like to see if the trouble was with that particular hat LD, and maybe you just got unlucky? [huh]

That's the hopeful part of me anyway - because I find it ridiculously hard to find vintage 30's hats in those styles...

Does anyone else notice that?

swinggal

One Too Many
These videos about make-do-and-mend in WW2 are awesome! There are so many hat making ones!! And there are earlier vids too. What a find!!!

Ladies hat from mans fedora - I love this one! So easy and the ironing the felt with a damp cloth on the block...l never knew!
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=51689

Hats - Out and About
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38424

2 hats from one
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=51692

1935 hats
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=28553

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marla said:
:eek: I think the gentlemen of this forum would be up in arms if we started cutting down fedoras,lol.

That did turn out to be a really neat looking hat, though. We could use cheap hats from discount department stores ;)

LD

Marla

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
That did turn out to be a really neat looking hat, though. We could use cheap hats from discount department stores ;)

LD

Oh, it certainly did! I'd make one out of an otherwise unwearable fedora ;) Except the video didn't say how to take care of the lining and the sweatband.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:

LD
You could try it with an unblocked felt capline also. I am going to try this soon.

Idledame

Practically Family
h6993.jpg
This is a different hat pattern from Vintage Pattern Lending Library. It has 2darted crown pieces and a brim piece.

It's only $5. Anyone tried this pattern yet?
https://vpll.3dcartstores.com/1930-Ladies-Bower-Style-Hat_p_187.html

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I finally got to the fabric store yesterday and picked up some brown cotton to make my hat from this VPLL pattern, to go with my 30s day dress. It's my project for the day, after chores.

thumbnail.asp

ldldame, I had to check out the new hat pattern at VPLL, but was sad it's not in size 22 head. It' a lovely hat. I'm interested to see people's results.

swinggal

One Too Many
Right, started making the hat I wanted from the VPLL hat pattern that Lady Day sent me. I am making hat A (see below), which is different to the one LD made and yep...the brim does NOT fit the crown for this one either...but unlike LD's mine was too big!

h5685a.jpg

Now I know it says it's really important to join seams at the right width etc or else the hat won't make up properly, so I even ran a tracing wheel over the pattern pieces (where the seam line is indicated) onto the fabric to be 'extra' sure, but nope. Almost 2 inches out of whack when you go to join the brim seams.

It seems to me that the crowns for these particular hat patterns are all too small or too big. Why - I can't be sure. Also, the instructions are very hard to follow and the diagrams are not very helpful either as they don't really give you a clear step-by-step view.

I will still make a hat from this experiment, but I can't see it looking much like the pic. Oh well, I will have my own modified design I guess.

BTW, have emailed VPLL and told her that two of us have now had the same issue. Yes, we can adjust the pattern to fit, but we shouldn't have to do that!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I have nearly finished my hat - also view D. I made a muslin after reading this thread. I'm sorry to say this, but It fits me perfectly. I'm not sure how I feel about how it looks on me but I purposefully chose less expensive fabric so I could get used to the style.

That's not to say I didn't have assembly issues. It's my first sewn hat in a long time and only my third vintage pattern. Once I finish my hat, I'll post pics. I am particularly in love with my choice of lining....how's that for a tease?:p

swinggal

One Too Many
Tenuki said:
I have nearly finished my hat - also view D. I made a muslin after reading this thread. I'm sorry to say this, but It fits me perfectly. I'm not sure how I feel about how it looks on me but I purposefully chose less expensive fabric so I could get used to the style.

That's not to say I didn't have assembly issues. It's my first sewn hat in a long time and only my third vintage pattern. Once I finish my hat, I'll post pics. I am particularly in love with my choice of lining....how's that for a tease?:p

Interesting. Makes me wonder if LD got a dodgey pattern as she and I have both had issues using the same pattern.

Anyhoo, cant wait to see your hat Tenuki. I have bought a few $3 wool 80s felt coats from thrift stores to make mine :) Recycling AND getting quality materials at the same time :)

I'll post my hat when it's done too.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the delay, finally, pictures of my hat. It turned out a little Chico Marx :eusa_doh: but that was my own fault. I did have trouble attaching the brim, but thought it was due to having flipped pieces over during cutting. I have enough navy twill to try again. It fits, even if it looks a tad dopey.

Here it is, front and back.
4924982494_e12d36a5d0_z.jpg

4924982488_e5f4fbdd34_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112