Maltese Falcon

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ozymandius, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

I have an old thread on this but since all the links are dead I figured I should start a new one with fresh pics.

Anyway, I am a prop maker and special FX artist for the entertainment industry and the Maltese Falcon has always been my favorite movie, so naturally I had to make this.

Maltese Falcon noir.jpg Maltese Falcon noir 2.jpg Bronze360.jpg Hot Forged Bronze.jpg Group.JPG

As you can see, in addition to the standard black I have made these in a whole range of exotic finishes and materials, including bronze, 24k gold plated, weathered, and with hidden compartments inside. I'll list the most popular options below but custom requests are always welcome.

I list these for sale on Etsy and Ebay, but you will save money by messaging me directly through my website StudioOz.org

Prices do not include shipping.
    Satin Black Solid Resin (5lbs): $200
    Satin Black Weighted (17lbs): $300
    Cold-Cast bronze (17lbs): $400
    Hot-Forged Bronze (5lbs): $800
    Smuggler's Bird (secret compartment): $650

To order simply go to my website by following the link below and message me.
    StudioOz.org

2. Ormazd

Ormazd One of the Regulars

I bought one of these from Oz years ago. Sits in a place of honor in my media room. You won't be disappointed if you get one.

3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Cool!
    Fyi: the founder of the lounge has a thing for these.
    Glwts
    B

4. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

Did a couple of new versions of the falcon. One in cold-cast copper and the other with a secret compartment.
    Copper A.jpg Copper B.jpg Smugger A.jpg Smugger B.jpg

5. Monitor

Monitor

Beautiful and awesome!

6. seres

seres A-List Customer

Outstanding work!!!

7. Rumad

Rumad Practically Family

Phenomenal! Well done.

8. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

can you explain the difference between cold-cast and hot forged

9. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

Be happy to.

The quick and simple is that Hot-forged is traditional metal casting (molten metal poured into a ceramic mold), whereas cold-cast is a resin casting process that simulates real metal by binding a thin skin of powdered metal to the outer surface (ie. faux metal). To be clear, the powder used is not a paint, but actual ground bronze that has to be polished and clear coated to prevent oxidation.

Additionally, there are trade offs other than just the cost. At this thickness, the hot-forged has to be poured as a hollow shell to prevent warping, making it ironically much lighter than the faux, cold-cast version. Also the cold-cast method allows me to vary the weight and look. For example, if you don't want the weight, I can do a cold-cast bronze for $300 instead. Want it in aluminum or steel instead, no problem.

The attached pic is a direct comparison between two hot-forged birds and the cold-cast bronze. One customer asked for a very light patina, which is why one of the hot-forged falcons came out blonde. Bronze versions.jpg

10. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Very nice looking birds you are making. My wallet however, would commit mutiny on me! The finish on all three looks fantastic!

jonbuilder likes this.
  11. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

We are always happy to take payments on anything we make so you can spread out the cost over time.

12. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I have one made by MK, and it is one of the things both Amanda and I would run back into a burning house to save.

13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I absolutely love these! Really cool!

sweetfights likes this.
  14. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

An Indy Fertility Idol with a smuggler's compartment would be... A+

15. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

you have my interest I will be giving the manner some thought.

16. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

What are the dimensions of the castings? Do the dimensions vary?

17. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

I make those too. :D With glass eyes or without and plated in 24k gold.
    Artidol 2sm.jpg

Attached Files:

M Hatman, scottyrocks and Frunobulax like this.
  18. Ozymandius

Ozymandius New in Town

They stand 11 3/8" tall and are roughly 4.5" wide at the shoulders by 4.5" deep. And the dimensions never vary.

I got exact measurements and photos from an original falcon years ago and that's what I used to do my sculpt, with every feather and line exactly duplicated to within millimeter accuracy.

And for the record, I do guarantee every piece I make and will replace or refund if it is not acceptable in any way. In ten years of making these, not one person has ever sent one back.

19. RMF308

RMF308 Familiar Face

I saw your original thread years ago and wanted one then, but it fell off my radar. Thanks for showing the pics and reminding us how cool these are. PM sent.

20. SGTROCK

SGTROCK One of the Regulars

Hot forged looks great