Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MASH Japan MA-1 repro

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just took delivery of this repro MA-1 from MASH Japan which is a great little shop for getting NOS replacement parts for your military jackets. This is a brand new deadstock from a production or rather reproduction run some years ago by MASH. Came with NOS Coats and Clark Crown zipper. Jacket is very warm and thick. The nylon on the OD outer side is silky smooth. The inside orange nylon is not as smooth to the touch. Inside lining as well as the pocket lining are wool mix. Stitching work is perfect.

Last edited:

Blackadder

IMG_20141206_014118873.jpg

IMG_20141206_014236191.jpg

IMG_20141206_014249678.jpg

Blackadder

You can only get access to these products through their Japanese version website right? And pictures please.

MASH sells to overseas but as said, they do not make these anymore. You may find a few on Yahoo Auction Japan.

Blackadder

Their English Website has less products than Japanese version, and I am not sure they ship worldwide for product only available on their Japanese site.

Their Japanese website does seem to have more products but if you compare the two, you can see that their repro products are available on both versions. It is only the imported merchandises that are missing from their English website. They carries or used to carry Alpha Industries products which is only available on the Japanese site. They also carry Eastman products on their Japanese site only. Other items that are available only on their Japanese sites are military gear and surplus items all from overseas. I doubt you want to buy overseas products from them. In any case, the jacket is no longer available.

Blackadder

Fit looks great. How would you rate it compared to Alpha/BR?

Thanks. I much prefer the L-2B because the much thicker MA-1 can never be fit on anybody. Everyone I see looks like a balloon or a puffer fish wearing it including me, lol.
I think this is actually a repro of the Alpha J-8279D from the 60s. Since I do not own any original MA-1, I can't say anything about authenticity. Comparing to the current repros like the Alpha and BR, I think this is definitely better than the current Alpha with respect to materials used and workmanship. I also like this one better than BR as this feels a more serious piece of military clothings. BR does not use original materials in stead BR put a lot of efforts into remaking the materials themselves. If you look at their website on how they research their nylon, they claim that their nylon will fade like the originals. Problem is they also accelerate such process on their clothings to help the users achieve the worn look faster and easier.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think this is actually a repro of the Alpha J-8279D from the 60s.

I think you are correct. There were at least three MA-1 contracts that sported C&C main zippers. Some of the 1961 C-series Skylines, some of the 1963 D-series Alphas and some of the 1965 D-series Alphas. Other jackets in all three of these contracts had paper clip Conmar main zippers.

AF

Edward

Bartender
That does look really nice. Shame they don't still make 'em; be nice to see more readily available, good repro on the nulon market. Ideally, I'd prefer green lining as 59 is pretty much my cutoff date for clothing of interest, but I could be trmpted by one of these.

Blackadder

As said unlike BR and RM who use repro parts, MASH uses NOS zippers and possibly knits too. I doubt they will have an unlimited supply of those to keep making the jackets.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
MASH do batch runs, but their main business is not really selling their own jackets anyway. The other place which makes nice L-2/ L-2A/Bs is the Taiwanese shop call US Country Store, they also offer loads of different camo uniform repros as well, worth checking.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Justhandguns said:
Well, they do very interesting patterns, mostly imaginary style and contracts, but also a few pretty period authentic looking ones. Not cheap though.
and, I presume, only available direct from Japan?

Justhandguns

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner