Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maxi Dresses

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm not going to wear the ugly, unflattering parachute dresses that are "hot" in the stores this week, but I will make and wear this lovely number from this vintage pattern:

5132_93653939163_624014163_1978598_968204_n.jpg

I want to make the mini dress with long sleeves, too!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm not wearing the fashionable maxi tents but I will look for shorter dresses with empire cut. I prefer slinky, synthetic fabrics in summer. So I'm fine with the off-the-rack dresses. I think empire is timeless. For a couple of years it was my signature dress cut so it's just a return to something I embraced some 12+ years ago.

When it becomes warmer in Denmark it usually becomes humid too and humidity wrecks havoc with my scalp and skin so I really don't give a hoot about style when my scalp and skin suffers and will go for anything that gives relief from the suffering.

Miss_Smith, that's a very lovely dress!:)

I only remember purple/pink/brown velvet and knit combinations from the 1970s. I don't remember any empire styles. The rest of you must've been around trendier types.;)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I was at a wedding BBQ last night, and there were ALOT of gals rockin' the maxi dress.....and I have to say, they all looked darling. They all had their hair long, curled and flowing, and the dresses were empire waisted (some cut on the bias) in a variety of summery colors. I may have to rethink this.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I may get one and have it hemmed. Or I may get a "tea-length" standard sundress in an empire cut and wear that, it will fall longer on me.

I am five foot even so I suspect a regular off the rack unhemmed maxi will not look cute on me, more's the pity, because some of the designs are pretty.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, I have so many beautiful maxis, gowns, and long Hawaiian dresses that I pass over wearing because i have nice legs that, um, people want to see. So get out the scissors already, Ashley!
Amy Jeanne, my sister made both versions of that dress when she was a teen. They'll look lovely on you.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Last year when I was at a dinner party in London I did think it was too casual that some women were wearing strappy, cotton, maxi dresses. I guess I'm just not with the times.[huh]

Viola, I'm 4'10"ft and many of the empire summer dresses that are supposed to be above knee fall to an "appropriate";) below knees length and often look less casual on me than on other gals. Some shorter empire, A-line dresses can be accesorized for a more retro effect to get that 1950s "feel" or association especially if you still do your hair and make-up. It's an easier style for a modern gal on the run on a hot and humid day.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Lillemor,
If that is you in your avatar I think you would look stunning in anything.

Sadly, it's not me. She's some Chinese actress I don't know and the photo was taken in 1958 but I think it's so timeless and she looks so cool.:)

I'm very petite, still have a very round face though age is clearly creeping up on me and I can't fool anyone anymore but "cute" styles still look best on me. I have no particular wish to look cute, I just go with what suits me best.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I remember this trend the first time around and I would not wear it today considering I am 5 foot 1 1/2, I think it would either make me look like I am about 13 or it may end up making me look old and frumpy - with me it could go either way. They do remind me of a night gown a little bit also so I would be really uncomfortable with that aspect of it considering when I was in grade school I used to have reacurring nightmares about not having enough time to get ready in the morning and having to go to school in my night gown:eek:

B

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ooh, I like that!
I went to a little party last night and some of the gals were looking lovely in maxi dresses and ballet slippers. Me, I wore a Brooks Brothers tea-length dress as I wanted to show off my platform peep-toe shoes.
Whenever I wear a long column of a dress I feel so tall and regal and I'm 5'3". Seems I look it too as I get many complements, so maybe I'll wear a maxi next time I go out with the gang, not on a date.

Spearmint

New in Town
If I wanted to wear a maxi dress I would have to alter the poor thing a great deal at 5' nothing most of the dresses in stores are a good 6 inches bigger than me. Even worse the long skirts I used to wear are just as big as the skirts on the maxi dresses so even those are way too long now. Modern fashion just was not made for short girls, short cut jeans most of the time are still too long.

Christy

One of the Regulars
I'm guilty of owning two of the Old Navy maxi dresses, I can't help it, they're just so comfortable! I like to wear them when I'm feeling really lazy and it's hot out. Strangely I always get complements of "wow, you're so dressed up, where are you going?" I always look puzzled, because to me it's my sloppy look and I wouldn't wear them to anywhere special.

Foofoogal

Banned
Ok, maxi dress time again. They are all over the stores everywhere.
I picked up a Gunne Sax and Candi Jones California. So romantic. I also picked up 3 vintage floppy hats.
Wondering again how many of you will be wearing this style this Summer.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have such memories of this style personally. Went to some real high end shops this weekend to looky loo and it was like walking back into the 1970s.
I get so tickled when I see the same styles as I wore but a bit sad as only some would look good on me now.

Aw, to be young again. Not really. I love the age I am at. ;) :p

The Lady Ashuko

New in Town
I personally love maxi dresses (Gunne sax in particular) though I have only seen one modern one that I liked. Most I think are horribly unflattering for lack of going far enough--strange tube-like skirt with a ruffle (who thought up that combo?!? Just say no!). I prefer mine to be extremely full, especially if it's going to have a ruffle. I'm stocking up on maxi dresses for this fall, when I'll be attending school in Hawai'i.

And for fun, a pic! Not your typical Maxi I think, but the only decent picture I have on-hand.
steampunkevening.jpg

This vintage Gunne Sax is not as full as I prefer (the fullness seen is from the built-in petticoat) but it is suitable for the style of the dress, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo