Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mayser homburg being played with...

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi,
I'd like today to introduce you to my German Mayser homburg, which I picked up from a 2nd hand clothes store for €10.00
It is in practically new condition, very, very black in color and, in its original function, a very severe, formal hat.
Since it's been languishing away in one of my hat boxes, I thought I might play around with restyling it a bit. This is stage one: rendering it less severe.

029.jpg

I've not done much, just a more or less "pork pie" top of crown and forcing the front brim into a slight down curve (which you cannot see on this picture...)
033.jpg

Here's the center logo

034-1.jpg

And the beautiful "jugendstil" (Vienna and German art nouveau) sweatband logo

018-1.jpg

Noggin' shot

010-1.jpg

The photographer. Very rarely seen on our pictures...

I've yet to put some steam onto the hat. I'm thinking of putting some kind of "slide over" (western style?) ribbon over the original ribbon, maybe some turquoise stones or something that would break the hard lines of that overpowering black.

Any suggestions welcome!
Paul

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I love it! Putting a telescope/porkpie bash into a homburg gives it such a great Old West feel. I think it looks great just as it is, but a splash of color from a feather or a band would only add to its charm. Congrats on such a fine hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice Homburg

Paul, I like it. I even like the unreleaved black look. I can imagine someone in the old west wearing that hat with one long feather inserted in the ribbon. An accent would be nice but the way it is works just fine.

That's a great photo of the staff photographer dressed for colder
weather.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it gives it a western look too--kind of Butch Cassidy-esque. Now if you just get a Colt Peacemaker revolver......:eusa_doh:

I like it.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
carter said:

That's a great photo of the staff photographer dressed for colder
weather.

As always, merci Monsieur Carter.
The staff photographer is, by the way, my wonderful wife. She's a great lady with a good heart for people (and animals), in general.

Her ..er.. headpiece is, in fact, a true "Elvis Pompillo". He had his day of fame over here, and a shop in Brussels (you might Google him) and has, especially during the previous decade, I think, made a number of "hat creations". I think he's more a "modiste" than a traditional hat-maker, and certainly has been seen at a lot of up-crowd parties which he does seem to have -more or less- survived.

Don Paladino, and Slim (Las Vegas!), I agree there is, already as it is, some sort of "not entirely bad guy western" influence. I think that, historically, the initial western style must have come from transformed homburgs, in the first place.

A pleasure to talk to you guys,
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner