Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
pgoat said:
you also have the bottom vest button done up - so you have created your own style - I say go with it!:D

Sadly, the waistcoat is just a little too big, so decided to reign it in with the bottom button done. I would normally rather die than be seen with the bottom done, but on this occasion.. lets throw caution to the wind!

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Naama said:
great style, really great style ;)

Naama

Thank you... One tries..
Actually, its wonderful to be a little different!!
Goodwwod.jpg

DSCF1301.jpg

midbrowntweed1.jpg

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
Sir, you look absolutely amazing!!

Ahhh, flattery will get you everywhere

Actually I really like to see the Ladies dressed in a more traditional style.. Anything from 20's to 60's is just so elegant.. beautiful to see..
Nowadays its all "crop tops", "Luton Facelifts" and "Trackies", not to mention Hoop earrings and teenage pregnancy!!!

Oh, i could go on.. and probably will

PS. Anyone wanting to know what a "Luton facelift" is, just ask!!

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
MissS said:
pgoat, can you explain this to me? Are you gents not supposed to do it up and if so, why not???

The custom of leaving the bottom button undone comes from the early 20th century, King Edward VII was too rotund to fasten his bottom button and the custom came from his imitators. After seeing him out and about with the bottom button undone, everyone took it to be a new style and of course in those days anything the King did, was the height of elegance.. So it stuck
the custom has kind of taken on a life of its own.
Breeches007.jpg

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
MissS said:
Thank you, kind sir and may I say, my favourite picture of you yet?

My pleasure, and how is lovely Sydney?
i used to live in wellington NZ, so used to get over to Sydney frequently.. love it to bits.. and also a big fan of Melbourne too

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

hehe
i knew someone would

the famous "Luton facelift" is a very "Chav" term.. ie, common..
Tis where a lady, no, strike that, girl ( A lady would never do this) ,.. So, a girl has a very tight single ponytail at the back of her hair and has the hair gelled, usually wet look .. the hair is pulled so tightly back it sort of pulls the entire face up.. hence the Luton facelift

You can substitute the word "luton" for any nasty common trailer park type of town!!
vicky.jpg

Pip

A-List Customer
Well, my love for vintage fashion primarily comes through in one of my hobbies, living history. So the majority of photos are in that context as I'm otherwise a pretty much modern dressing kinda guy (but with a slight flare/subtle difference to it)

Anyhoo, not entirely sure the above made sense but hey ho lol

BoBposey021-2.jpg

I'll attempt to dig a better one out in a few minutes.

All the best,
Phil

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
hello there
great pic!!

Hows Worcester.. I'm in Ledbury!!

Pip said:
Well, my love for vintage fashion primarily comes through in one of my hobbies, living history. So the majority of photos are in that context as I'm otherwise a pretty much modern dressing kinda guy (but with a slight flare/subtle difference to it)

Anyhoo, not entirely sure the above made sense but hey ho lol

BoBposey021-2.jpg

I'll attempt to dig a better one out in a few minutes.

All the best,
Phil

Pip

A-List Customer
Aha fantastic, I hadn't noticed the location in your profile. I always assume most are in Oz or the USA :eusa_doh:

Well, not quite in Worcester, I live in the small'ish village of Cookley, just between Worcester and Birmingham. Worcester happens to be the nearest "land mark place" however. But its quite exceptional at this time of year :D

Just enjoying the rare period of "almost nice weather" lol

Toodle Pip!

Phil.

Mojito

One Too Many
Pip, you look like an adorable RAF poster boy - the colour tones in that photos (purples, greens and blues) could translated to an interesting painting.

Sir RBH, I never get tired of plus fours!

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Pip, you look like an adorable RAF poster boy - the colour tones in that photos (purples, greens and blues) could translated to an interesting painting.

Sir RBH, I never get tired of plus fours!

Same here.. just adore them.. try to wear them as much as possible.. which as I live in the middle of the countryside, I can!!

pgoat

One Too Many
MissS said:
pgoat, can you explain this to me? Are you gents not supposed to do it up and if so, why not???
RBH explained it perfectly - I do think the bottom button undone, assuming the waistcoat is fit properly, gives a more elegant look, as it allows for less restricted movement. I guess I could say the same thing about leaving the bottom button of one's suit jacket undone, especially on a double breasted suit.

Interestingly, you still do see very distinguished and well dressed men with the bottom buttons of both suits and vests fastened, and it's not always bad - I thought it looked good on RBH above (as he points out the vest was looser than ideal), and often looks right on other guys too.

These 'rules' can certainly be broken, although some are more well-founded than others....for example, keeping your double breasted jackets buttoned at all times - if you need to open it, take the darn thing off....a DB hanging open looks terrible imo.

D

DeaconKC

Sir RBH, tell us more about that double gun you are carrying! Also kudos on an elegant walking staff.
Pip, what a superb photo, looks like May of 1940, waiting for the call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183