Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

KObalto

One of the Regulars
LocktownDog said:
He couldn't have been human. :eek:

Richard
Actually he was a great example of a man surmounting his disability. He lost almost complete use of 2 fingers on his left hand in a fire and had to create his own chords. I believe he barred with his thumb. It's one reason he's so hard to replicate.

Blackjack

One Too Many
It's also an example of how a tragedy can turn into greatness. Every jazz guitarist I know believes that if he wouldn't have had that accident his style would probably not been much different than anyone else's of the time and he most likely would not have left the mark he did in music today. Life is strange.

pgoat

One Too Many
good point. But he (Django) was definitely a natural talent and a half. One of my faves!

Re: Nocturn: at least you're brave enough to look at the sheet music (I'm strictly an 'ear' player)

Re: Krupa: Blackjack, That's so cool about the lambswool beater. I remember I went to see G. Love & Special Sauce around 94 or so and his drummer had one of the tallest and most slender bass drums I'd ever seen - his kit looked very 1920. That rhythm section (drummer with minimal kit and an upright bassist) were smokin'.

I'm not partial to any one genre, I love Elvin Jones, Cobham, Dodds, Max Roach (R.I.P.). But I do remember the first time I heard "Don't Be That Way" from Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall concert LP - that drum break towards the end sent shivers down my spine. (Still does, actually, just thinking about it!!).

You should post a link if you have any stuff up online - I'd love to hear it.

pgoat

One Too Many
KObalto said:
Actually he was a great example of a man surmounting his disability. He lost almost complete use of 2 fingers on his left hand in a fire and had to create his own chords. I believe he barred with his thumb. It's one reason he's so hard to replicate.

he had huge hands, for sure - I know he used the little fingers for chording, though he was obviously limited to certain shapes and voicings. It surely must have forced him to develop new voicings someone with four good fingers wouldn't have needed to explore.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A two-fer

Permit me to resurrect one from our last year's Las Vegas frolic:
DSCF0506.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
and yet no picture....hmmmm.....*tapping fingertips on table*....:D

My photos all fall under 'embarassing', so they're on that thread. And the Hat thread (illustrative proof of my impulsivity, which will come in handy when I declare bankcruptcy or insanity, whichever comes first). And whatever happened to the 'whaadaya look like?' thread - guess it diverged into the "men of-" and "Ladies of-"?

Meanwhile, Boris worked some magic on my fugly mug and created the avatar over yonder at left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany