Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men Shaving Vintage Style

Joonie

Familiar Face
Anyone have a husband/boyfriend "addicted" to vintage shaving? My darling man and father cannot get enough- so much so that at the end of the day my husband will say "I wish I would shave again." Not that I mind- it's quite endearing and pleasant to watch. Ppppprrrrrrrr.....

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Joonie said:
Anyone have a husband/boyfriend "addicted" to vintage shaving? My darling man and father cannot get enough- so much so that at the end of the day my husband will say "I wish I would shave again." Not that I mind- it's quite endearing and pleasant to watch. Ppppprrrrrrrr.....
Actually, I'm wondering whether any of the ladies here have ever tried using a straight razor to shave legs. I've contemplated it as an experiment just to see how it would go, but the high initial startup cost, plus the time it takes to prepare (sharpen, foam, etc), let alone actually shave with a giant sharp edge throws me off. (I personally find daily shaving with modern disposables a big hassle anyway despite the supposed modern 'ease', so I keep figuring I probably would hate straight razors just as much if not more. Yet, I still persist in thinking it could be cool to try a straight. One of those ideas that makes me question my sanity... lol :rolleyes: )

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
JupitersDarling said:
Actually, I'm wondering whether any of the ladies here have ever tried using a straight razor to shave legs. I've contemplated it as an experiment just to see how it would go, but the high initial startup cost, plus the time it takes to prepare (sharpen, foam, etc), let alone actually shave with a giant sharp edge throws me off. (I personally find daily shaving with modern disposables a big hassle anyway despite the supposed modern 'ease', so I keep figuring I probably would hate straight razors just as much if not more. Yet, I still persist in thinking it could be cool to try a straight. One of those ideas that makes me question my sanity... lol :rolleyes: )

My barber Joe still has a sign in the window that reads " We shave legs". I did ask him directly and he assures me he doesn't mean his. I'm certain you could find a traditional barber who offers this service just to see if it's worth your investment in a kit or a pamper. My father was a barber so I grew up using a straight razor. You can get a razor that takes disposable single edge blades for a very reasonable price. This way you can skip, at least initially. the cost of strop and hone and time investment needed to learn to use them.
Good luck to you and don't forget to post on "shave of the day".
Tom D

SayCici

Practically Family
My dad! For father's day I got him a shaving cup, brush, and some shaving soap. He uses it often and nothing else. :)

Joonie

Familiar Face
JupitersDarling said:

My husband thinks it would be a real hassle and more dangerous, as our gams are curvier than a man's face. I don't know about the straight razor, though- they always remind me of the shaving scene in "The Color Purple." Yikes! Perhaps, if you're still curious, you might try a safety razor. I imagine that would be easier and surely safer.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
For the longest time my daddy used a little bar of shave stuff, a brush and a little shave bowl thingy, to this day, i still love hearing him foam up his brush. I can even remember the way it smells. It's one of the fondest memories of my daddy when i was growing up. I think for Christmas this year, i'm going to get him a new brush and bowl in complete vintage glory as he is quite the metrosexual and always makes himself look real pretty. I think he would appreciate it.

I have a leg shaving motto: "Shave the day of, or not at all" ;) i hate shaving my legs but it is more economical (in my sense then waxing or anything else)

Not to mention i hate when my stubble pokes through my stockings.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
a few months ago my husband became obsessed with shaving with old double-edged safety razors. after scouring all of the flea markets in the area, he now has 30 or so razors from 1904-present day...
before this discovery of his, he NEVER clean shaved, only buzzed every once in a while.
i abhor facial hair, so i'm rather pleased about his new fascination.

i've started using a DE for my legs, and i love it. it only takes a moment to whip up some nice lather with that neat little brush - and the sound of all the little hairs being cut is so much more satisfying!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Shaving Old School

I love shaving with a DE and a brush. Sometimes I use shaving cream (old style not in a can) and sometimes I use shaving soap.

Before I got deployed, I was working on my own shaving cream. I almost got it down pat! Hopefully, I'll get volunteers to try it and give me feed back once I get a formula that I think is nifty. :)

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Shaving

Subscribe to Maniac59 on You Tube for complete, almost maniacal obsession with wet shaving. He covers it all from shaving soap, shaving bowls, brushes and technique. Obsessed we are with hats, this OCD approach should feel very comfortable to most of us.

For the really crazed there is "Method Shaving". I do use the method techniques for strokes, but I am a bit heretical when it comes to preparing the lather -- I stick with just one soap instead of a bar, oil, and paste.

I have two brushes, one for home and one for travel. There is even a travel shaving bowl that was invented by a NASA scientist called Norm's Shaving Bowl.

At this point, I feel like I am a wet shaving pusher. Believe me, it beats a can of edge to the point that I'll just not bother to shave if that is all I have.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Forgive my complete and utter ignorance on vintage shaving - but why would you use a badger brush to lather on the soap when you've got a perfectly good hand?

Just askin'

I guess I'd also like to know why a DE rather than a cut-throat?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Forgive my complete and utter ignorance on vintage shaving - but why would you use a badger brush to lather on the soap when you've got a perfectly good hand?

Just askin'

I guess I'd also like to know why a DE rather than a cut-throat?

Badger and boar hair brushes (though to a different extent) will hold water in he bristles, something the hand doesn't do as well. Good lather has both hydration and aeration. You also will make quite a mess trying to lather the soap or cream solely with your hands, especially if one does multiple shaving passes. With just a little care, you could own a brush for a LONG time. I personally have a 4 brush rotation for daily use, and a separate travel brush.
DE versus straight is a personal preference in a few ways.
While you do buy a straight razor once, they are pricey ($100-$300 for quality), and there is quite a bit of blade maintanence required. Whetstones, strops, pastes, etc...
Once you own a DE razor, which is typically a lesser investment commitment, the blades are extremely inexpensive. Often under $10 US for 100 blades. I get 4-5 shaves out of a blade on average....

The skillsets for each razor type differ a bit too.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Ephraim Tutt said:

Canned shaving cream goes on with a hand. The so called "thick" lather is thick but without a lot of water. You get a drier shave which means an more irritating shave.

The number one important item in shaving is water. You whip up lather with the brush and you get more water on your face. Some people saturate the brush with soap and water and then whip it into a lather on the face -- this super hydrates and exfoliates the skin.

Now, I don't use four brushes in rotation. That's a new one on me. I hang mine from a rack and it drys up nicely in a modern dry air conditioned enviroment.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
marvelgoose said:
Subscribe to Maniac59 on You Tube for complete, almost maniacal obsession with wet shaving. He covers it all from shaving soap, shaving bowls, brushes and technique. Obsessed we are with hats, this OCD approach should feel very comfortable to most of us.

For the really crazed there is "Method Shaving". I do use the method techniques for strokes, but I am a bit heretical when it comes to preparing the lather -- I stick with just one soap instead of a bar, oil, and paste.

I have two brushes, one for home and one for travel. There is even a travel shaving bowl that was invented by a NASA scientist called Norm's Shaving Bowl.

At this point, I feel like I am a wet shaving pusher. Believe me, it beats a can of edge to the point that I'll just not bother to shave if that is all I have.

OMG! I've seen Manic's videos. They are so funny. He is a little OCD. lol

I have a Savil Row 3824 shaving brush at home and use a T&H travel brush when I travel. I just love the feeling of the warm brush and cream on my face. I also love shaving with a "tool" and not a "toiletry" item. I shave with a Murker (don't know the number, but the classic, not the HD).

I just feel cleaner and "better" after shaving like that. Also, it's a link to the past, which I really enjoy!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Joonie said:
our gams are curvier than a man's face

Are they? :D I would say that the sharper angles and tight curves of a man's face and neck are a lot more challenging than the soft and ample curves of a leg.

But the posture at which you have to do this if the leg is your own, unless you are extremely flexible, well, I think this is possibly the challenging part.

Joonie

Familiar Face
Mdvessa- Curvier and more complicated, I guess. :) (Think of our knees!) The only way I can imagine shaving like that would be in a tremendous, footed tub.

Emer

One of the Regulars
May I ask where one finds a DE razor (or maybe what it stands for)? My husband loves the memories of his grandfather lathering up for a shave and I've been thinking of maybe getting him something. I found this website (http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html), which seems nice, but I don't see DE razors... are they just saftey razors?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Emer said:
May I ask where one finds a DE razor (or maybe what it stands for)? My husband loves the memories of his grandfather lathering up for a shave and I've been thinking of maybe getting him something. I found this website (http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html), which seems nice, but I don't see DE razors... are they just saftey razors?

DE stands for double edge. They are the safty razors. I like the Murker (spelling?). I have the Classic, the one that runs around $30 or so. I bought it from Classic Shaving and their service was good and prompt. What kind of shaving cream does your husband use? Or, does he use shaving soap?

Emer

One of the Regulars
SlyGI said:
DE stands for double edge. They are the safty razors. I like the Murker (spelling?). I have the Classic, the one that runs around $30 or so. I bought it from Classic Shaving and their service was good and prompt. What kind of shaving cream does your husband use? Or, does he use shaving soap?

Actually, he just uses water right now. But every so often he goes into the local barber shop for a hot shave, which is another reason I'd like to get him his own kit. Do DE razors require a certain type of shaving soap or cream?

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
Avoid a collection unless that's you're going for

Years ago I got all wound up about straight razors. I got one on a whim then bought several lots off ebay. Got a brand spanking new one on-line. Learned to hone and strop. As I got familiar with their traits I realized OK ones from swell ones.

I brought one of my prizes to my ancient barber for his assessment of the $100+ model. He simply said it was crap and if crap was what I wanted he had several cheap. Anyway, now I've got a rack of them with only 3-4 of a standard I can use daily. If you think you want to shift over to them do a little research first and save time, frustration, and money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80