Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men Shaving Vintage Style

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Emer said:
Actually, he just uses water right now. But every so often he goes into the local barber shop for a hot shave, which is another reason I'd like to get him his own kit. Do DE razors require a certain type of shaving soap or cream?

You can use any shaving cream with a DE razor. However, you might as well get him some awesome shaving cream! There are so many good brands out there.

I would suggest something from any of the following Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt and Hill, The Art of Shaving, DR Harris, or maybe Musgo Real (Musgo being my personal favorite). There is a great site called Badger and Blade, www.badgerandblade.com. They have a review section where people rate and review shaving creams. I would check it out. Some shaving creams have natural scents and some smell more like cologne. Some have old style barber shop scents too.

I would probably stick with a natural scent at first, maybe Almond. I would think something like that would be safe because it's hard to tell a scent just from the name. Or, there may be a sampler pack you can get from a company with a sample of all their different creams. I would love it if my wife gave me something like that!

Wow, hope she reads this! LOL ;)

ChristineSprig

New in Town
My husband got into vintage shaving techniques a while back and he loves it. He tried to convince me to use a brush, etc. for the longest time, and finally we found a shave brush with a long handle at The Art of Shaving that is designed for women to shave their legs. I love it! I am certain that I get a smoother shave and it changes something that is usually mundane and boring and makes it something fancy and fun.

I still don't use a straight razor, though my husband does occasionally. He very much likes those double edged safety razors. I haven't brought myself to use one yet, however.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband does the full-on vintage shave. He has a large collection of safety razors from the 1930s-1950s, and he uses soap, mug and a brush to shave. He has a collection of those, too. lol The vintage shave takes him longer, so he do only does it about half the time - rest of the time it is a modern razor and shave gel. He owns a couple of straight razors that belonged to his grandfather, but does not use them.

For me, Colgate shave cream and a modern razor.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
marvelgoose said:
I have two brushes, one for home and one for travel. There is even a travel shaving bowl that was invented by a NASA scientist called Norm's Shaving Bowl.

Cool! Any pictures of Norm's Shaving Bowl? I need a travel mug, to go with my travel brush. My regular shave bowl is stainless steel, and I use Haslinger soap that fits the bowl. So, I don't normally have problems like chasing the soap around. But, I do need a suitable travel mug.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Not my husband (though he has considered it), but my brother uses a straight razor. As far as I know he's not interested in anything else vintage, he's very much a modern tech geek, but very metrosexual. When I used his bathroom recently I saw he had quite an elaborate setup for it all too, with the sharpening strap hanging from the sink and everything!

Last edited:

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I wet shave using vintage Gillettes made in the US and England. My collection is 30 razors plus strong along with a few badger brushes and far too many soaps, creams, aftershaves and colognes. This is an activity that is perfectly relaxing for me. There is just nothing like it. I highly recommend it for those who wish to do something extra special for themselves and willing to invest the 15 to 20 minutes to fully enjoy the experience. Just beware as old Gillettes are habit forming and Acquisition Disorders abound in the world of wet shaving. Razors, brushes, creams, soaps, colognes, blades...the list goes on. Ain't life grand!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I wet shave using vintage Gillettes made in the US and England. My collection is 30 razors plus strong along with a few badger brushes and far too many soaps, creams, aftershaves and colognes. This is an activity that is perfectly relaxing for me. There is just nothing like it. I highly recommend it for those who wish to do something extra special for themselves and willing to invest the 15 to 20 minutes to fully enjoy the experience. Just beware as old Gillettes are habit forming and Acquisition Disorders abound in the world of wet shaving. Razors, brushes, creams, soaps, colognes, blades...the list goes on. Ain't life grand!

Greyfox, I'm just a little appalled at the idea of you shaving off that wonderful beard in your profile pic... I've always had a soft spot for gray beards.

Rosie Main

New in Town
My boyfriend shaves with and collects straight razors. He swears by it. Its also extremely hot to watch :) He assures me that a woman is less likely to get cuts or irritation if they shave with a straight razor. I've yet to try myself though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart