Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men who can cook.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
There's something very attractive about a man who enjoys cooking. My boyfriend made breakfast today - truthfully, the stove looked like the remnants of a plane crash (if the plane had been loaded with grated potatoes), but he made eggs, homemade potatoes with mushrooms and veggies and it was so nice to sit at the table, read the Sunday paper and have breakie served. Grand way to start the new year.

Espee

Practically Family
I never make soup, except for New Years Good Luck Blackeyed Peas. With "stuff thrown in."
This time, a couple of Nathan's hot dogs, some ground beef the store does up with "steak flavor," a red potato (all these things pre-browned in a skillet) and white rice from a previous day's Chinese take-out.
The results support increasing the frequency.
Oops, forgot to throw in the deli turkey marked "Use By JAN 02 2012"

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I'm a good cook, although I don't care to cook - and that's probably because I live alone and it's just more cost effective to live out of 'pre-packaged' foods - as I don't like to waste. Also, the microwave went the way of the Dodo last month and I've chosen not to get a new one (2 microwaves in 2 years is pretty bad) - so I just made slight adjustments to my life.

As for cleaning - yes. I'm a bit of a 'neat freak'. Dishes, bedroom, laundry, etc.

Propeller Planes

New in Town
I enjoy cooking! While at university, living with many young folks who's idea of cooking is toasters and 2 minute noodles, seemed overly impressed with what I could do in the kitchen, so much so, one of them went and told the local newspaper about it. Next thing you know, a journalist and a photographer show up, wanting to feature me in a weekly segment they have in the newspaper, as featured below:

IMG_6449.JPG

Can I also testify, some of my words were twisted a little! :eek:

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure I understand what all this fuss is about men in the kitchen.

I am an excellent home cook, cooking everything from scratch. My main circle of friends are foodies and quite capable of preparing full-course meals, which helps to improve our collective cooking skills.

I learned to cook mostly from doing and experimenting. Cooking is one of my favourite past times. :)

If anyone is seriously interested in building their cooking skills, I highly recommend America's Test Kitchen.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I heartily agree, it sounds wonderful LilyP, how romantic!

There's something very attractive about a man who enjoys cooking. My boyfriend made breakfast today - truthfully, the stove looked like the remnants of a plane crash (if the plane had been loaded with grated potatoes), but he made eggs, homemade potatoes with mushrooms and veggies and it was so nice to sit at the table, read the Sunday paper and have breakie served. Grand way to start the new year.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My sweetheart Tom spoils me proper by doing all the cooking for me when I'm at his place(s). When he was previous married he never did the cooking. Ever since the divorce, he learned to cook and really enjoys it. He's very health conscious and for the last couple of years has had a large garden in his backyard that he grows herbs and fruits and veg that all make their way into the dishes he creates.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sadly I still haven't mastered the 'clean as you go' approach.....:(

Sooo, what is this 'clean as you go' approach you speak of? It sounds painful. I don't wanna do it.

I cook food I like, it's difficult to cook food(s) that you don't like. You add something, taste it, and it tastes bad...

Later

Connery

One Too Many
Sooo, what is this 'clean as you go' approach you speak of? It sounds painful. I don't wanna do it.

It is not painful...lol It is just an efficient way of dealing with the business end of a meal. It actually makes the meal more relaxing and enjoyable as I know that the clean up is mostly done.:)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Whilst my cooking abilities are a little limited (though expanding) I cook for myself every night. I try to avoid processed foods though because they're less healthy and it feels like "cheating" :p. I also follow the "clean as you go approach".

Men who can't cook seem to be a little bit helpless, which is hardly very manly quality in my opinion.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Clean as you go......

I had an Ex who would clean as I went; shadowing me around the kitchen and cleaning up after me as I prepared the meal. Problem was, she would start washing pots, pans and utensils before I was finished using them. I would turn around and see her washing my knives, spatulas, spoons, measuring cups, etc...leaving me to stand there twiddling my thumbs waiting for my tools ......but her worst transgression was washing pans that had yet to be deglazed.:rage:

What I do is fill up the sink with hot soapy water and pitch things in when I'm done with them.

Connery

One Too Many
^^^

That would drive anyone crazy! People in the kitchen when I am cooking is not the greatest idea I ever herd of.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails