Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men who can cook.

vintage68

Practically Family
A question for the gentlemen: would you have wanted your mother to teach you to cook? I have two sons who I think are now old enough to really get in there without too much adult supervision. My younger son (9)says cooking is for girls, but my older one(12) is enthusiastic.

I think if you can associate the idea of cooking with something boys are already attracted to, namely the idea of hunting, fishing, camping, etc, then cooking will be a natural extension of what they already love and will be much easier.

I've used this cookbook for years, and it's a lot of fun: Eat Like a Wild Man

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Like-Wild...0886/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326234914&sr=8-4

Taking them fishing, then cooking up what they caught is always a very cool experience for boys (and men for that matter!).

bellaclaire

New in Town
The best Chefs in the world are Men.:eusa_clap[/QUOTE!!

Being trained and worked as a chef for over 30yrs now i can tell u there also the worst at cleanin as u go.. most nowadays want all the glamour bits but not the hard work (peelin mountains of spuds, peelin sacks of veg!) granted a lot of that work can be avoided by pre packed pre prepared stuff but that takes away a lot of the skills i had to learn..

Nowadays anyone who says they cannt cook are lying as its all available done for u!! all u need is a microwave and kettle........x:eusa_doh:

and Vintage68 s suggestion is a great one...my earliest memory is of pickin parsley with my mum outa the garden, waskin, her choppin it and us makin parsley dumplings for a stew.....xx

Last edited:

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
A question for the gentlemen: would you have wanted your mother to teach you to cook? I have two sons who I think are now old enough to really get in there without too much adult supervision. My younger son (9)says cooking is for girls, but my older one(12) is enthusiastic.

I think it's a great idea to teach your boys to cook. In order to assist your younger son in breaking the gender-role stereotype, why not invite dad in for the event? That way, you can make it a family event. Try planning a family-made dinner once a week and see how it goes from there.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think if you can associate the idea of cooking with something boys are already attracted to, namely the idea of hunting, fishing, camping, etc, then cooking will be a natural extension of what they already love and will be much easier.

I've used this cookbook for years, and it's a lot of fun: Eat Like a Wild Man

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Like-Wild...0886/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326234914&sr=8-4

Taking them fishing, then cooking up what they caught is always a very cool experience for boys (and men for that matter!).
That won't work for us. My older son has been a vegan since he was 9 years old, of his own choosing. Plus, we live no where near any place that allows hunting or fishing, even if he was interested in those activities. My husband has never been hunting or fishing and I don't know anyone around here who could take them. Neither of their grandfathers hunt or fish, either. We're a strictly urban/suburban family. On the other hand, older son has his own patch in the garden and grows his own tomatoes and jalepenos.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I don't know about most people, but I taught myself to cook. While most kids are starting at 11-12 years old with macaroni under adult supervision, I started at about 7 with made-from-scratch brownies that, if I may toot my own horn for a second, turned out wonderfully, and the only help I had was choosing the correct dish for cooking them.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
We're a strictly urban/suburban family. On the other hand, older son has his own patch in the garden and grows his own tomatoes and jalepenos.

I think you've just identified a potential solution.

I'd also emphasise to them that cooking is a life skill.

One other thing you should mention is that life is much more enjoyable if you can prepare food and share it with others.

My mother did teach me the basics and I'm very grateful she did.

Cricket

Practically Family
Based on my own choice, my husband handles the grill and smoker recipes. I tend to stay in the kitchen more with my food preparation. But my hubby does do a lot as well with various venison and fish recipes.

When camping with the children, the hubby also handles the fire cooking whether it be hot dogs or a iron skillet of fresh fish from the pond. I honestly think he gets a kick and a sense of satisfication out of seeing his family enjoy his cooking.

But that really goes for the both of us and many others I am sure. Regardless of gender, it leaves a warm feeling in our home to see others enjoy your dish.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Right now my husband is in the kitchen making our "cowboy breakfast" brunch before we head down to the stock show - thin cut ribeyes seared in a skillet, country fried potatoes & onions, and buttermilk biscuits. All while I sit at the bar drinking coffee. :lol:

Connery

One Too Many
You don't know what you are missing. :p It is REAL man's food. :p

You know, you are correct I should try some. I have never had a problem with any food before and this sounds like a treat. I have had Chicken Feet Stew on many occasions in the past. Once you get past the idea the meal is delicious. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider