Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men who can cook.

Connery

One Too Many
Is this you in the kitchen?!:
[video=youtube_share;Nn5y22ACD7c]http://youtu.be/Nn5y22ACD7c[/video]
^^^
He is my inspiration

....but I am more like this....[video=youtube;MlRftrhuudE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRftrhuudE&feature=related[/video]...:p

Prokofiev

New in Town
Sure, I cook. Mostly Italian foods. Thats the easy bit. The hard bit is keeping cigar ashes out of the sauce.

Prokofiev

New in Town
Switch to a pipe - the ash all stays in its own little container.

Problem solved!

Yeah, I smoke a pipe occasionally. However, a nice cigar helps me get into the cooking frame of mind. Easier to light than a pipe, which is a plus, seeing as I lit a corncob pipe on fire once. I am not exactly sure how that happened.

That is part of the recipe for chili; isn't it? :p

How did you find out my family's secret recipe? :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can cook, but generally only outdoors. I grill stuff. I steam oysters. I fry fish. I fry turkeys. I cook collards on my camp stove. I cook big limas on my camp stove.

Jackie says that I'm only willing to cook if there is open flame and an element of danger. :eek:

hogday059.jpg

AF

Last edited:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I cook at times. Living at home through college has a few positive perks, such as a mother who cooks, so I don't get much chance to cook, but once in a while, I absolutely HAVE to bake something. Mostly because at times, I just need a cookie, but sometimes just because I enjoy it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
A question for the gentlemen: would you have wanted your mother to teach you to cook? I have two sons who I think are now old enough to really get in there without too much adult supervision. My younger son (9)says cooking is for girls, but my older one(12) is enthusiastic.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Somehow, having Mommy teach you to cook isn't that great. If there's something that they both like to eat, just let them cook it. The more difficult it is to cook, the more help they will need. The non-powder macaroni and cheese is a good start.

Must my $0.02 and worth every penny

PoohBang

Suspended
I think a mother teaching her sons to cook is a great idea. Why not?

It kind of goes with this whole thread... "Men that can Cook?" heavens! Next you'll have women voting or worst, wearing pants!

1961MJS

I think a mother teaching her sons to cook is a great idea. Why not? ...

Hi, this is the whole scout leader thing. Mommy shouldn't do things for their children if they want them to do those things on their own. Anybody else, but not Mommy. In Scouts Mommy doesn't go on campouts. Scout leaders (who MAY have carried you for nine months etc) may go on the campout, but they help other kids not their kids. I started being a scout leader in 1994, so I've watched this take place. If MOMMY is there, MOMMY will do everything. Find out what they wanna eat, take them to the supermarket, buy the stuff, dump it in the kitchen and set at the kitchen table and read the paper. Don't get out of the chair unless they start to put a skillet full of hot grease under the faucet or the flames get above a foot tall.

Later

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, so far, my only hands-on teaching has been proper knife technique, simply for safety reasons. Typically, I will show them how to do something, for example proper whisking technique, then step aside and hand them the tool, then sit down at the kitchen table.. I am NOT the type to do everything for my sons.

Flicka

One Too Many
Well, I learned to cook from my mother who learned it from her mother who learned from her mother (and father, actually; my great- grandfather was an enthusiastic gourmet who invented dishes considered very outrageous in a Swedish smalltown in the 30s).. I thought most people learned to cook from their parents. Who else?

1961MJS

Hi

I learned on my own, and asked Mom and Grandma a few questions. I still don't cook casseroles, but then I don't care if I ever eat casseroles again anyway. I eat them when someone else cooks them, but I don't like them well enough to bother learning. I need to learn to make Potato soup (love that). I can cook chili, steak, steam veggies, make brownies, make chocolate chip cookie dough (but don't bother baking it). In short, the stuff I like to eat.

later

Hi

I learned on my own, and asked Mom and Grandma a few questions. I still don't cook casseroles, but then I don't care if I ever eat casseroles again anyway. I eat them when someone else cooks them, but I don't like them well enough to bother learning. I need to learn to make Potato soup (love that). I can cook chili, steak, steam veggies, make brownies, make chocolate chip cookie dough (but don't bother baking it). In short, the stuff I like to eat.

later

Like my great aunt used to say---if you can read you can cook. If I want to cook something, I look in a cookbook. :p Nowadays, you can even look it up online and even get tips about how to prepare it. :p

filfoster

One Too Many
To the original post, it only turns on digestion. I have cooked supper every Sunday, and lately Saturday evening for years. Mrs. F is appreciative but sparing in compliments-it's her nature.
The most tangible reward is the unsupervised self- medication allowed during the process. And the vittles. Begin cooking at 6; dinner at 8:30 or 9. Bon Apetit

The latest surprise find was a Rosemary and orange chicken dish found on a throw-away flyer from my bank.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails