Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens travelling trunk - Can anybody help me with a date?

cupcake

Familiar Face
My housemates dad recently brought us over a present - This mens? travelling case/trunk. He found it on the side of the road!
Could anybody here help me with dating this? I'd love to know more about it.

SAM_0141.jpg

The tag/label/maker
SAM_0138.jpg

Opened up, they slide out into drawers. Check out the wooden coat hangers!
SAM_0139.jpg

And the outside

So FLers? What's the verdict?

Warbaby

One Too Many
That style was popular during the Edwardian era and on into the 20s. The one you have may look a bit grubby, but it appears to be intact and definitely restorable. I've brought a lot of vintage luggage back to life and can give you some tips if you decide to fix it up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but isn't this style of travelling-trunk/suitcase called a portmanteau?

They were very common during the last quarter and first quarter of the 19th and 20th centuries, as they permitted men to safely transport items such as shoes, suits, shirts, ties, collars etc, without them being crushed, as they might be, in a regular suitcase. I believe they started dying out in the 1930s because, as you might see, this is a rather LARGE piece of luggage, which was tricky to load into an automobile, as opposed to a carriage, where all the stuff was just dumped on the roof.

Cases like this finally died out for good in the 1950s when ocean-travel began to decline in favour of faster airline travel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo