Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Merged Hatter Thread

majormoore

Vendor
If you allow these hatters to leave all of us who wear hats, love hats and try to make our own or at least try to make a few repairs ourselves will lose BIG time.

I know that John and Steve and Art have helped so many of us with hat repairs, even sent free of charge sweatbands and liners. Not one time have I seen any of these hatters tell us to buy a hat from them, we all know that are custom hatters.

I have never seen any of these hatters get mad and make a post here when one of us asked how do you do this or that, they always help us.

I say let all hatters have a link to it's web site if they want to. What are we afaird of. One of these days we will be sorry.

Mike Moore

Feraud

Bartender
Contact info?

Question: Can a hatter display their homepage in their contact info?
This removes it from their signature but provides a link to those who are interested.
Thought anyone?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Maybe as a signature line they could put something like:

"Are you wondering if I make hats? Then check out my personal profile to find out!"

Does something like that cross the line? I look at peoples profiles all the time to see if they have a web site.

Feraud

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:

"Are you wondering if I make hats? Then check out my personal profile to find out!"

Does something like that cross the line? I look at peoples profiles all the time to see if they have a web site.
:eusa_clap I like it!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
So are you saying you think it's logical for vendors to leave because they can't show their link at the bottom of their posts?

I think John was pretty clear that he was just looking for
"recognition somehow" and, "will be open to a solution".
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I think the link in the sig is a silly distinction, but it's not
my site and I can't figure out for the life of me why it's
such a big deal to the bartenders and MK. That said, it
is very clear to me why we want to attract hat makers and sellers
and keep them happy.

As I said before, I hope something can be negociated. Let's not
just get defensive and stick to our positions. There is something
really good to be lost here.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
So are you saying you think it's logical for vendors to leave because they can't show their link at the bottom of their posts?

Sure, Matt. That's as good a 'spin' on what I've posted as any, I suppose.:rolleyes: lol ;)

No, that's NOT what I'm saying, and you're going to have to ask that question to the hatters who have left/are leaving because of this. I'm saying the signatures helped me for not only what John posted, but in helping me find information without interrupting some string they were involved in to ask where to find their website, and to alienate them simply because of this rule is, at best, odd. [huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
Seriously, what am I missing?

I get the impression that the hatters feel that this measure was disrespectful to them. They feel that it conveyed a negative message: that they were perceived as hucksters taking advantage of the Lounge in order to promote themselves. I personally don't think that they're hucksters at all, and I don't believe that MK sees them that way, either. But it's clear that this message came across, unintended though it was. Perhaps it was announced too abruptly; perhaps it was worded too bluntly; perhaps ... is something for hindsight to look into.

I hope very much that they don't leave. Hats are the "ground zero" of this place. I'd sorely miss the expertise behind it.

Arctichighlandr

New in Town
Not user friendly

Feraud said:
Question: Can a hatter display their homepage in their contact info?
This removes it from their signature but provides a link to those who are interested.
Thought anyone?

Unless a member has 15 posts they aren't even allowed to view any contact information or send a PM to anyone.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm all about discussion.

We are but a board of members and different people see different things in different ways.

Taking the website out of a signature is a big deal to some and to others... well not so much.

I use links in my signatures on other boards though they have been for Cancer Dancathons or the Lounge. I know that posting here is a way to get business and I know that posting here is also a way to teach people new things. The two cross over many times and it would be a shame to confuse selling with teaching and vise versa.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Looking back up the thread:

besdor (emphasis mine) said:
As a retailer , I received the PM as well . Im not sure how to respond as I enjoy posting on the lounge as well as meeting new customers . I think if it were worded a little less harsh , it would not have been taken as it was by some of the retailers.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
I get the impression that the hatters feel that this measure was disrespectful to them. They feel that it conveyed a negative message: that they were perceived as hucksters taking advantage of the Lounge in order to promote themselves. I personally don't think that they're hucksters at all, and I don't believe that MK sees them that way, either. But somehow this message was perceived.

I hope very much that they don't leave. Hats are the "ground zero" of this place. I'd sorely miss the expertise behind it.

Yes. I assumed they saw it as an insult. I too do not see any hucksters in this group. What surprised me is the reaction to the signature change. The reaction to leave has prompted the discussion that will hopefully clarify everyone's intention.
My hope is that a resolution is reached where both sides benefit.

Feraud

Bartender
Arctichighlandr said:
Unless a member has 15 posts they aren't even allowed to view any contact information or send a PM to anyone.
That is a temporary measure. Heck, I have probably racked up 15 posts in the last 15 minutes! ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
J. M. Stovall said:

But wouldn't that take away the incentive for vendors to pay to advertise in the Lounge? And isn't paying for advertising the main (but not only) point of this new policy?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah. Yada, yada, yada! He did this! I did that! It's your fault! No, it's your fault! I'm gonna take my football and go home!

I've seen this before, elsewhere. Someone makes a decision that someone else doesn't like and they take it as a personal affrontery and then other people jump into the mix and all hell breaks loose.

Let me ask you folks this - IS ANY ONE OF YOU PAYING FOR THE PRIVILEGE, YES PRIVILEGE, OF BEING ON THIS SITE?

No? Than let the man who IS paying call the shots. Hey, this is NOT a democracy; it's a privately owned and operated message board where people come to talk about hats and stuff. That's not to say that MK may or may not be open to suggestions. From what I've seen he sure seems to be. But bottom line is that it is his choice.

Now, PLEASE, stop behaving like two year olds. It tries the patience of others, disses the energy of this site, and casts a dark cloud over what otherwise has been a very happy experience for many.

If you're gonna leave, leave. And, for the sake of others, do so quietly for pete's sake...

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Lucky said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah. Yada, yada, yada! He did this! I did that! It's your fault! No, it's your fault! I'm gonna take my football and go home!

Wow, and I thought this was all pretty civil and
constructive.

That said, it appears to me clear that it's not clear
why this new rule was instituted. I'd be glad to
hear more. I do hope that whatever the reason,
it's worth the cost.

On another topic, how many more custom hatters will
be hitting the boards when Classic Style magazine gets out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart