Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight in Paris

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I want to see this movie as well. I don't watch a lot of Woody Allen movies. I've never been a big fan of his, even though I love the Purple Rose of Cairo. That ending still makes me mad. [throws popcorn]

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Owen Wilson's performance was quite good. Before this, I always viewed him as Stiller's sidekick who never appeared in any good movies. I didn't think one way or the other about his actual ability since those movies were so atrocious. I'm glad that he's put in a fine Woodylike performance and I hope he and Allen work together again.

Come on people, this is a vintage-retro-stylish movie! Go see it!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
As he often does, Roger nails exactly why this film is appealing to people. His last paragraph in particular:

"This is Woody Allen's 41st film. He writes his films himself, and directs them with wit and grace. I consider him a treasure of the cinema. Some people take him for granted, although "Midnight in Paris" reportedly charmed even the jaded veterans of the Cannes press screenings. There is nothing to dislike about it. Either you connect with it or not. I'm wearying of movies that are for "everybody" — which means, nobody in particular. "Midnight in Paris" is for me, in particular, and that's just fine with moi."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Gil was a stammering schlemazel (someone things happen to) with little free will or ability to step back from himself. Only at the end, when he walks off with the record stall woman, do you see possibility for him.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
It turns out my local multiplex kept MIP on for another week! No surprise considering this is Woody's biggest box office hit ever. Also, seeing as the Motion Picture Academy now selects ten films for Best Picture every year, they'd better nominate Midnight In Paris as well as Corey Stoll (Hemingway) for Best Supporting Actor!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Thought I'd recommend a documentary that would provide historical background of the authors and artists in Midnight In Paris:

Paris: The Luminous Years: The Making of the Modern is a fascinating two-hour documentary about the Paris arts scene of 1905-1930. Much of the program is dedicated to the painters of the early 20th Century (Picasso, Chagall, Braque, et al.) and while Hemingway and the 1920s gets coverage, but that period is really glossed over compared to the attention given to the artists. There are also segments on Sergei Diaghilev's ballets, Stravinsky's music, and the Dada (anti)-art movement.

The doc is highly informative--particularly about the painters--which makes it all worthwhile. It especially sheds light on the 1905-1910 period that I've always found interesting, but evasive, in terms of coverage in documentaries such as these.

Paris: The Luminous Years can be watched in its entirety at the PBS website.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Wow! Wasn't that a great movie...Allen is back!!!! I loved Owen Wilsons portrayal of Gil, he was in a way Allen's new Avatar...all the Woody mannerisms without the neurosis.

I think Owen struck a perfect balance with his performance. He wasn't unlike the typical Woody character, but he was still different enough to avoid a dead-on (and distracting) caricature like Kenneth Branagh and Edward Norton have done.

juggles

New in Town
I think Owen struck a perfect balance with his performance. He wasn't unlike the typical Woody character, but he was still different enough to avoid a dead-on (and distracting) caricature like Kenneth Branagh and Edward Norton have done.

Agreed. I think Owen Wilson is a somewhat one-note actor, but it's the perfect note for this role. He comes off as goofy and sincere, very likable. So I'd say his limits as an actor actually serve him in this situation, because he's playing the Owen Wilson character rather than trying to play the Woody Allen character which brings a refreshing turn to the Woody Allen character. Juliet Taylor has been Woody's casting director for 30 years (actually, she's everybody's casting director) and she nailed it here.

I also think it's been refreshing for Woody to get out of New York.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Another performance in MIP I'd like to point out is Michael Sheen's. He does an "American" accent quite well. I'd never seen him in anything before this, but he does well in his limited screen time.

Judy Davis is another Woody Allen "stock player" who does accents well.

I wish to heck this movie would come out on DVD already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk