Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight in Paris

Tommy

One of the Regulars
enjoyed this movie. My boys had seen it already, but had to watch it with me, because they knew I was of the same mind set as Gil... and they had to have their chuckles at my expense, it was funny. It told them great minds think alike. The comment about every generation having their own 'golden age' was priceless, like a knife in the heart.

Overall, I loved the movie, though I agree with others on this thread that the ending seemed sudden/not fully developed or realized, perhaps rushed. But I don't care, it still worked for me.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Midnight in Paris snags four Academy Award nominations (No nomination for Corey "Hemingway" Stoll, though):

Best Picture
Director
Original Screenplay
Art Direction

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
We managed to finally watch it Saturday night. While I did like it very much, when it was over, I found myself wishing we'd been treated to much more of the 'midnight' world, and much less of the real world.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, as I've mentioned before, if you want to get as close a taste as is possible in 2012 to that speakeasy, Parision club world depicted in that flick, come to a Club Wits End in New York on the last Saturday of every month. ;)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Well, as I've mentioned before, if you want to get as close a taste as is possible in 2012 to that speakeasy, Parision club world depicted in that flick, come to a Club Wits End in New York on the last Saturday of every month. ;)

You can bet I'll be timing my next NYC visit to coincide with Club Wits End.

Rumor has it that dhermann drives the Peugeot...;)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Don't get me started on how completely, carelessly inaccurate "F. Scott Fitzgerald"'s costume is.

In the 1920s, Fitzgerald wore what amounted to a WASP uniform: Brooks Brothers natural-shoulder 3-piece single-breasted suits (usually tweed or flannel) and norfolk jackets (tweed or linen). His vests were NEVER double-breasted, but single-breasted (with no lapels, ever). In the '20s, Fitzgerald's Brooks Brothers shirts almost always had buttondown collars, and his ties were almost always repp stripes, foulards, or knits.

In short: 'trad' and 'preppy' through and through ... like Scott Fitzgerald himself. Dressing Fitzgerald's character as if he were, say, Carlos Gardel? Well, that's a huge disservice to the man whom Woody Allen is ostensibly trying to honor.

A quick search through Google Images would make this plain to any costumer. How could "Midnight in Paris" have screwed up so badly?

BTW, Marc, I think of your post every time I've seen the film and it never fails to make me chuckle. Great insight on ye olde threads, sir.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Watched it last night, for the first time. What a wonderful movie! I normally do not like Woody Allen one bit, but this one really opened my eyes to his work, and I'm going to try some of his other works now.

“Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present... the name for this denial is Golden Age Thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one ones living in - its a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present.”

I wonder if he have visited the Lounge and used some of the content as inspiration :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I weas lucky enough last week, to see live, at Symphony Space in New York, Stephane Wrembel. He is a guitarist who has taken the Django Reinhardt sound and updated it with 70 years of musical development. Absolutely wonderful. He wrote, and plays, the guitar theme that runs through the movie. He lives in the New York area (actually, he just moved from Brooklyn to a very nice suburb in New Jersay), but he plays every week at a little place in Brooklyn called Barbe's. Worth checking out, if you're in the City.

I weas lucky enough last week, to see live, at Symphony Space in New York, Stephane Wrembel. He is a guitarist who has taken the Django Reinhardt sound and updated it with 70 years of musical development. Absolutely wonderful. He wrote, and plays, the guitar theme that runs through the movie. He lives in the New York area (actually, he just moved from Brooklyn to a very nice suburb in New Jersay), but he plays every week at a little place in Brooklyn called Barbe's. Worth checking out, if you're in the City.

That was great music in that film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana