Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Trousers and High Waists

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I have seen a lot of posts on military trousers being high waisted, and through my own experience I know that these are just about the only type of trousers that are still readily available, and in some cases still being made high waisted.

What I would like to know, and I guess get a summary of for all of us, is what type of military trousers you have found that are high waisted and still readily available. Have you ever tried dyeing them to change the colour? Are they easy to convert to a normal looking pair of trousers i.e. Army battle dress trousers - some have large belt loops? If you are after a more casual look have you found cotton drill or similar trousers that are high waisted?

In general I just want to see what peoples experiences are and what you should go for to get a good collection of high waisted trousers going.

I have found that the later RAF battle dress trousers without the patchpockets on the leg are pretty normal looking high waisted trousers. British army trousers are also excellent and are available in an number of weights if you don't mind khaki or green. I have often wondered if they could be dyed to something like navy?

Any info you have would be great.

Cheers

Peter

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
in this post on a leather jkt
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5574

Indyguybrush is wearing a pair of late 30s pattern U.S. wool field trousers.

I have a few pair as well. The shades & patterns vary from prewar to wartime to postwar. Dependign on size, they are readily available on ebay or from reproduction stores.

They are high waisted & perfectly suited for office wear. SAme goes for the officer pinks & the chocolate or greens.

I've never tried to dye a pair. More often I come across mothholes than outrageous stains.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
US 1945 pattern are high waisted. They are beautifully made and cut too, with a a really nice hang. I prefer the darker colour to the earlier patterns as well, also the flapped rear pockets. And they seem to last for ever!

Most of the ones I've seen were made post-war so WW2 collectors don't like them as much, which means they usually go cheaper. In fact they have everything going for them!

In general WW2 US combat gear was based on civilian designs, which means that it tends to adapt well to normal wear (there's a story about a German officer who refused to surrender to "people wearing golf clothes".)

You can probably dye them with a wool dye (not machine dye). There may be some shrinkage though I believe by 1945 we had given the yanks details of our anti-shrink process for wool. I wash mine in the machine with no problems. But earlier patterns of GI pants would probably shrink (I told you 1945 pattern had everything going for them!)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I started a thread about this, long, long ago-

The best and cheapest alternative, are the post WW2 (Korea)US Army trousers- sometimes they're pure wool and sometimes they have 20% Nylon.

BUT- they're actually looser fitting and wider legged (made to use a trouser liner beneath)than the WW2 ones.
The shade of green is different- slightly more green than the WW2 olive drab.

Check this out-

http://www.armynavysales.com/Mercha..._Code=01&Product_Code=MP129&Category_Code=PNT

The only military thing about them is the colour and the waist adjusters- which are easy to remove.

There are other places to find them (eBay- $9).

B
T

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the info, wasn't too sure about the 1945 pattern, but will check it out now, also the 51 pattern.

What about khaki drill trousers, are they also high waisted? Any particular patterns I should look for in these?

Cheers

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner