Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I agree with you Fox. I was also aware of the Israeli-manufactured Uzi; it is historically interesting because it reminds us of a vet different relationship between Iran and Israel at that time. But we are not allowed to talk about politics. … It’s a great photo of the Iranian chap and nice to be reminded of my first WP back in the day.
Well said though I hasten to add Cambridge Union quip about British class and Kiwi polish.
I never resolved either Uzi or Bullpup; or whether Persian cats are more beautiful than Tel Aviv kittens.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
IMG_2519.jpeg

Lt Col. Colin “Mad Mitch” Mitchell, with unnamed Officer in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, 1968. The unnamed chap is wearing a desert Woolly Pully; this was the late stage of the Aden Emergency in what is now southern Yemen.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I caught a few snaps taken Desert Storm era showing desert night sweaters worn by rats and some Yanks.
I've an olive green wooly on now, a hard choice betwixt this fine sheep sheared and a charmer blue fisherman.
Tomorrow's nod. Aside Shakespeare our sweaters are another gift to this world. Bill favoured the Celt knits,
though he probably wore a commando around the Globe.;)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I caught a few snaps taken Desert Storm era showing desert night sweaters worn by rats and some Yanks.
I've an olive green wooly on now, a hard choice betwixt this fine sheep sheared and a charmer blue fisherman.
Tomorrow's nod. Aside Shakespeare our sweaters are another gift to this world. Bill favoured the Celt knits,
though he probably wore a commando around the Globe.;)
Great minds think alike Fox. I am wearing my olive green WP today! Also I have one of the desert ‘sand’ versions and dig it out occasionally. I get it about the Globe by the way!

Peacoat

Bartender
It is definitely Wooly Pully time here. Those of you here in the States who go to NFL games know that the stadiums on Sunday afternoons are the coldest places in the country. Wore my WP under a Carhartt jacket and stayed warm. My wife, who doesn't have a WP got cold.

We have another game on d Christmas Eve, and it will be even colder. But I'm not worried as I have 4 WPs to choose from.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It is definitely Wooly Pully time here. Those of you here in the States who go to NFL games know that the stadiums on Sunday afternoons are the coldest places in the country. Wore my WP under a Carhartt jacket and stayed warm. My wife, who doesn't have a WP got cold.

We have another game on d Christmas Eve, and it will be even colder. But I'm not worried as I have 4 WPs to choose from.
Which NFL team do you support?
I agree: WPs are great for watching sports in cold weather - or donning after playing cold weather sports .

Peacoat

Bartender
Which NFL team do you support?
I agree: WPs are great for watching sports in cold weather - or donning after playing cold weather sports .
The team that isn't doing much this year: Tennessee Titans. They lost the game Sunday because the kicker missed the extra point on their first touchdown.

Going to put on one of my Navy WPs under one of my Carhartt jackets, sit outside with my puppy, read the paper and smoke my daily cigar. It's a good life.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I would go with the original Wooly Pully: www.outdoorknitwear.com

I wore one of mine outside this morning while smoking my cigar and reading the paper online with my dog. No, she doesn't much read, so I read it to her.
Any complications with shipping or vat? I’d like to order one. I had my heart set on a submariner from northsea clothing, but i’ve been a little fast and loose with the card lately.

Peacoat

Bartender
Any complications with shipping or vat? I’d like to order one. I had my heart set on a submariner from northsea clothing, but i’ve been a little fast and loose with the card lately.
No complications other than slow shipping. In fact it was so late that, I notified them that I didn't receive the sweater. They immediately shipped another one that arrived promptly. Then of course the first one finally arrived. It got hung up somewhere, but eventually got here.

I will definitely do business with them in the future.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The team that isn't doing much this year: Tennessee Titans. They lost the game Sunday because the kicker missed the extra point on their first touchdown.

Going to put on one of my Navy WPs under one of my Carhartt jackets, sit outside with my puppy, read the paper and smoke my daily cigar. It's a good life.
I have certainly heard of the Tennessee Titans. Bad luck about Sunday.

As I said, I find WPs perfect under a Barbour jacket for watching winter sports. And, when I played Rugger at school and university, I would wear a WP for the match tea afterwards, as did some of the other chaps.

Today was the turn of one of my Navy WPs: the one with shoulder and elbow patches but no epps.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have certainly heard of the Tennessee Titans. Bad luck about Sunday.

As I said, I find WPs perfect under a Barbour jacket for watching winter sports. And, when I played Rugger at school and university, I would wear a WP for the match tea afterwards, as did some of the other chaps.

Today was the turn of one of my Navy WPs: the one with shoulder and elbow patches but no epps.
I'm wearing the exact same one. It is my 1977 WP, a bit thicker than the modern ones.

Normally, when it's cold enough for a WP, I have found that I need more than a Barbour for warmth. They are fine for wet conditions, but when the cold sets in, I need a coat with insulation, or a wool coat. I have a bunch of warm coats.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'm wearing the exact same one. It is my 1977 WP, a bit thicker than the modern ones.

Normally, when it's cold enough for a WP, I have found that I need more than a Barbour for warmth. They are fine for wet conditions, but when the cold sets in, I need a coat with insulation, or a wool coat. I have a bunch of warm coats.
Yes, mine is the same model as your 1977 version and they were a bit thicker back then.
I have wool coats as well and have worn WPs under them. However a WP or Guernsey under a Barbour is often enough in our climate as it does not usually get as cold (or as hot) here as in much of the US. The Pacific Northwest climate is fairly close to ours in character, I think.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many

Nothing really compares to a warm commando or even better a white or dark blue submariner roll jumper
worn snug beneath a Gloverall duffle coat affix Royal Navy sewn wood toggles. That is the round trip ticket field and pub lad. I occasion eBay for any available deadstock sales and better second hand hung offers decently
priced . A Newfoundland lady periodically offers quite excellent coats considerable discounted.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
@Peacoat : yes, the heather supplied by OKW is bit more of a sage colour, considerably lighter than Peat Brown but darker than Sand (the desert warfare colour). I have two heather WPs - I think the colour is actually called Heather Mix. One is the Patchless variety, the other is the standard WP with shoulder and elbow patches, which are Peat Brown! (I always want to write Pete Brown as I worked with a chap with that name some years back.)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Caught a Christmas chill so with my lass away visiting family it's my commando, moth eaten and ragged
off to bed last night snug as a bug in a rug and hot water bottle with a personal concoction: American Kentucky Evan Williams bluegrass bourbon mixed hot sliced peaches and syrup. Grog for the nod.
Did the trick.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner