Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hello Steve
I have been very busy over the past few weeks which is why I haven't logged on. However I did give you my email address some time and told you I wanted to keep in touch - but no email came!
I'm pleased that it's wet and cool - it's an excuse to wear woolly pullies.
Best Wishes, Aidan

Hallo There, tks for this, I just sent you a PM. It's been a bad time for me recently. Rgds. (Yes I agree the weather has been a good excuse to wear the great woolly pullies. rgds.

mrbieler

New in Town
My favorite every day use sweater is the WWII RAF late war black sweaters Air Diggers is reproducing. More closely fitted then the white ones people visualize. Wears well for work and for casual use.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
My favorite every day use sweater is the WWII RAF late war black sweaters Air Diggers is reproducing. More closely fitted then the white ones people visualize. Wears well for work and for casual use.

I will have a look at that site, there are a couple of threads on this forum, I think in WWII area, re the Aero & RAF/Submariners white roll/turtle necks. I have a couple of the white ones, one is loser and lighter weight that the other, I also have a one in navy blue from a firm in Surrey UK, called Grand Prix Legends which fits well, heavy weight and looks and feels great. Rgds Steve.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hallo There, tks for this, I just sent you a PM. It's been a bad time for me recently. Rgds. (Yes I agree the weather has been a good excuse to wear the great woolly pullies. rgds.

Hello Steve, I've been away for a few days and have just sent you two PMs. best Wishes, Aidan

Corto

A-List Customer
Just thought I'd liven this thread up with some photos. I've been combing the web looking for shots of WWII-era Woolly Pullies in action, but so far haven't had much luck. However, I did run across this more recent photo of a sand colored WP in use during Desert Storm.
5420006784_05eec87257_b.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Just thought I'd liven this thread up with some photos. I've been combing the web looking for shots of WWII-era Woolly Pullies in action, but so far haven't had much luck. However, I did run across this more recent photo of a sand colored WP in use during Desert Storm.
Thanks for that - it's marvelous. My sand woolly pully is too small for me now - must get another.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Good Picture here. Rgds Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

I Have raided my bank account and just ordered one of these sand Woolly Pullies from Outdoor Knitwear, should arrive in a few days, it will be very handy in this cold UK Summer we are having at the moment!. (Someone said on the radio this week that the summer in the UK has gone on holiday, this being the main UK holiday season. Whoever it was that came out with that comment is quite correct I think.) Rgds Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Good Evening Gentlemen,

The sand Woolly Pully as shown above, which I ordered recently came today, great service again from Outdoor Knitwear, I asked them to add epps and pen pocket which they did at a very small fee and do make the pullover look good. It's great also to deal with a human being on the other end of the telephone, the chap that I dealt with was very good and polite, unlike dealing with internet sales or robotic staff that seem to be so common now days. I do like old fashioned politeness and courtesy, which is something that seems to be missing these days. Rgds.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm getting rid of two of my wooly pullys (olive green). Both are Chest 40".

1. Of historical interest - was in Newtownhamilton RUC Station, Northern Ireland when it was mortared/bombed in the 80's by Irish terrorists. British Army issue, but used by Royal Ulster Constabulary on Border Duties, without epaulettes and a nice heavy wool.

2. More recent British Army issue (with epaulettes), from 1990's, excellent conditon.

SEE CLASSIFIEDS Section (but, say £20 each plus postage).

keith

New in Town
I'm getting rid of two of my wooly pullys (olive green). Both are Chest 40".

1. Of historical interest - was in Newtownhamilton RUC Station, Northern Ireland when it was mortared/bombed in the 80's by Irish terrorists. British Army issue, but used by Royal Ulster Constabulary on Border Duties, without epaulettes and a nice heavy wool.

2. More recent British Army issue (with epaulettes), from 1990's, excellent conditon.

SEE CLASSIFIEDS Section (but, say £20 each plus postage).

I remember us supplying them back in the 80s, we also supplied Southern Ireland MoD with a version of the Woolly-Pully that was much heavier than the normal one. Also noticed the camoflage versions are on the tw kempton website

Haversack

One Too Many
When I was on active duty with the US Army in the early 1980s and stationed in Germany, we transitioned from the Vietnam-era olive-green fatigues to the woodland camouflage BDUs.* This was part of a much-needed Army-wide upgrade of field equipment. One upgrade that had been lobbied for by USAREUR troops but which went sideways was the adoption of the WP. We had wanted it as a cold weather addition to the field uniform. Instead it ended up as a cold weather Class B option. Even so, a lot of us wore olive or woodland camouflage WPs under the new BDU blouse. They provided practical warmth and improved to look of BDUs. These OD and Camouflage WPs were even being sold at the Army Clothing Sales stores for awhile. I've still got both my official black and my non-authorized woodland WPs somewhere. I need to dig them out.

*This transition drove some senior NCOs bugnuts. BDUs arrived in country slowly and in a small range of sizes so for a couple of years formations would be made up of soldiers in both fatigues and BDUs. And no one had woodland patterned field jackets. It was mix and match until about 1986.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Re these Woolly Pullys, does anyone in the UK recall in the 1970s and 1980s the wool ribbed Brown, Vee Neck and Crew-Round Neck versions of these sweaters that were issued to the AA-Automobile Association, they looked good. There were also wool versions of these pullovers in Maroon, I think they must have been for people in the security service. I have only seen the maroon colour in recent years but made of man made fibres rather than 100% wool which I think is far better. Belated best wishes to viewers of this forum for 2012 by the way. Rgds.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hello Stephen, Yes, I do remember these well. I actually have a dark brown crew neck WP from Outdoor Knitwear, which still does that colour. I would love a maroon crew neck - I wore one for a time in the 80s (and a v-neck) but it is long gone now. Unfortunately OKW don't seem to do maroon.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hello Stephen, Yes, I do remember these well. I actually have a dark brown crew neck WP from Outdoor Knitwear, which still does that colour. I would love a maroon crew neck - I wore one for a time in the 80s (and a v-neck) but it is long gone now. Unfortunately OKW don't seem to do maroon.

TKS, I Shall check OKW website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo