Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mine arrived today, too!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hey, all. My Akubra Fed IV arrived today. I am absolutely thrilled! Ive already wet-bashed it. I love it! I dont know if Im ever gonna take this hat off my head. :p

0323092223.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys.

Tampahound, I had been meaning to post this when I first got home, but a bunch of stuff happened that had to be addressed right then and there. So I logged onto FL and there was your post that you got your Fed IV! That was very cool. I took the picture and made my post.

Your hat looks great. I love these Fed IVs. Wear it well!

MattJH

One Too Many
Johnny. said:
Newb question... how stiff exactly is that brim? Like is it bendy or inflexible?

Bendy, but not floppy. You have to coax it down when you first get it.

ryang

New in Town
Nice lid Scotty - great job on the bash.:eusa_clap It suits you well. Is that a deluxe or a regular Fed IV? I got a regular and did not realize how comfortable it had become until I started wearing a different fedora and then switched back again.

Now just watch out for the Hovitos.:eek:

MattJH

One Too Many
Johnny. said:
Ahh, ok. What do you mean by "coax it down"?

Like... train it down. I've owned three Federations (and still have two), and the brim is definitely not a snap brim out of the box. It just sort of bends down and then pops right back up. It's not stiff, it's just not snappy. You have to train / coax it to look how you want. Mine still don't snap. Once I trained the brims down, they just stayed down. I'd have to retrain the brim to go back up.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
MattJH said:
Like... train it down. I've owned three Federations (and still have two), and the brim is definitely not a snap brim out of the box. It just sort of bends down and then pops right back up. It's not stiff, it's just not snappy. You have to train / coax it to look how you want. Mine still don't snap. Once I trained the brims down, they just stayed down. I'd have to retrain the brim to go back up.

This is very easy to do with the distilled water in a squirt bottle. Spray it til its coated but not drenched, and then dont be afraid to muutcher it a bit to get it to stay where you want it to be. With non-snap brims I have found that I have to over bend them a bit ('muutchering') to get them to end up where I want. (Muutcher is pronounced with the ou sound from 'would.' Ive never seen satisfatctory spellings of this word, or 'buuby,' so thats how I spell them - with two u's).

CRH

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
... Ive already wet-bashed it. ...
0323092223.jpg

And so you have! Another great example of that wet bashed lived in look.

A wet bash gives a lived in look that I just can't seem to find with steam. My vote is for wet and I'd be happy to argue my position over a few cocktails with anyone who is willing :D.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana