Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-up as stage make-up.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I thought I'd let you in on a little discovery I made last week. I was going to an theatrical event, and I was playing a cat. That means lots of make-up. I hate wearing that grease-paint make-up, it feels bad and is really bad for my pimple-prone skin. So decided to use my mineral eye-shadows, blushes and such instead, and I am very pleased with the results. I used som powders dry to do blended areas, and some I mixed with water to paint on details. It stayed on all night and was very comforable to wear.

As I know a lot of you ladies are into theater and such, I thought you might want to try it out. This was not a stage production, everybody was very close to each other, so I don't know how it would look from a stage. But it might be worth a try!

You can see the results here:
http://laiv.youhei.net/gallery/album201/33_Caligula
http://laiv.youhei.net/gallery/album204/CIMG2094

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
gluegungeisha said:
Wow, good job! I might try that sometime.

I wish I could model in my nice mineral makeup, but it doesn't take to photo lights well.
Shoot! That might meen it wouldn't work with stage lights.

Oh, well, it's still good for other more or less "theatrical" occations!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Agreed about the mineral makeup. A friend of mine used it for a pin-up shoot, and we were fairly disappointed with the results. The pics aren't bad, but they don't have the flawless look of theatrical make-up or pancake.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I've used it for some intimate theatre spaces. It's ok for a small space (depending on the lights), especially if you're going for a very natural look, but it doesn't really seem to "pop" the way a nice cream base does. It's also hard to find any mineral makeup that isn't shimmery, which is a problem under the lights. I also find it hard to get the defined lines I sometimes need onstage with the powders...

That said, when I can get away with it, it's so much easier on my skin!

PS

A-List Customer
Mineral makeup contains Titanium Dioxide. Which is meant to act as a physical sunscreen. However it absorbs light badly which is one reason it looks poor in photos. Another reason is the Mica(shimmer), which is meant to reflect the light and give you that 'glow' all the brands brag about but it actually highlights flaws and can give your skin a really flat overall sheen. Be careful if there will be flash photography, you'll end up with white face dark body.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
PS said:
Mineral makeup contains Titanium Dioxide. Which is meant to act as a physical sunscreen. However it absorbs light badly which is one reason it looks poor in photos. Another reason is the Mica(shimmer), which is meant to reflect the light and give you that 'glow' all the brands brag about but it actually highlights flaws and can give your skin a really flat overall sheen. Be careful if there will be flash photography, you'll end up with white face dark body.

But aren't titanium dioxide and mica in basically every traditional cosmetic?
I thought that were the ingredients that made me breakout when using mineral foundation, but the liquid foundation I used before did contain titanium dioxide and I have several products that contain mica (and didn't make me break out btw, still wondering why?)?

PS

A-List Customer
Goldfish said:
But aren't titanium dioxide and mica in basically every traditional cosmetic?
I thought that were the ingredients that made me breakout when using mineral foundation, but the liquid foundation I used before did contain titanium dioxide and I have several products that contain mica (and didn't make me break out btw, still wondering why?)?

you are right, titanium dioxide is in many traditional formulas. it's the sunscreen. so the same thing can and will happen if you are using a foundation that contains SPF for photography. i imagine the concentration of the mica in a liquid would be less than that of a mineral foundation, but if you don't have problems with it then all the better!
sometimes people have an allergic reaction to the bismuth oxide which is in mineral foundation. it causes them to itch, breakout...
(sorry i am a bit of a foundation junkie)

Blondie

Practically Family
PS said:
you are right, titanium dioxide is in many traditional formulas. it's the sunscreen. so the same thing can and will happen if you are using a foundation that contains SPF for photography. i imagine the concentration of the mica in a liquid would be less than that of a mineral foundation, but if you don't have problems with it then all the better!
sometimes people have an allergic reaction to the bismuth oxide which is in mineral foundation. it causes them to itch, breakout...

WOW, i always wondered why my face was itchy when i wore mineral foundation ! Now i know , thank you !:eusa_clap

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Blondie said:
WOW, i always wondered why my face was itchy when i wore mineral foundation ! Now i know , thank you !:eusa_clap

there are a few companies that sell mineral foundation without mica, cory cosmetics for example, maybe you want to try that.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
there are a few companies that sell mineral foundation without mica, cory cosmetics for example, maybe you want to try that.

I would avoid Cory, it smells like cigarettes!

check out www.mineralmakeupmania.com

Titanium dioxide is in regular theatrical makeup- it's what makes it opaque. But since it's not shiny it works under the lights, but not for photos with flash- which is one of the reasons they don't usually use flash for publicity shots.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I heard it doesn't smell like that anymore from people who ordered from Cory recently.
I think it's worth a try for 35 cents a sample!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
PS said:

I have stumbled upon your pics on MUA and wow, you have really great makeup skills and your such a beautiful lady!!!

PS

A-List Customer
I have stumbled upon your pics on MUA and wow, you have really great makeup skills and your such a beautiful lady!!!

Oh Thank You! I really appreciate the compliment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80