Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mix and Match

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I tend to sometimes mix up my jackets and pants from my suits. Mostly I take striped suit jackets and add them to a solid pant. Or a solid jacket to either a solid or patterned pant. My question concerns color stacking while doing this. Should you wear lighter colored jackets with darker pants or can you wear a darker jacket with lighter pants? Or does it matter?
I only ask as, I will sometimes wear a black jacket with white pants. Though someone told me the look was backward. And that I should never wear an outfit that way. That the darker should always be on the bottom. What are your thoughts?

Chad

pycraft

New in Town
Chad Sanborn said:
I tend to sometimes mix up my jackets and pants from my suits. (snip) I only ask as, I will sometimes wear a black jacket with white pants. Though someone told me the look was backward. And that I should never wear an outfit that way. That the darker should always be on the bottom. What are your thoughts?
Chad

I don't think there's a rule on this. For example, what is sometimes regarded as the "American business suit" - navy blazer and khakis - stacks a dark colour over a lighter colour. On the other hand, James (Connery) Bond wore a white-jacket, black-trousers tuxedo on Goldfinger (though this was apparenty chosen for cinematic reasons - to make him stand out - rather than style per se). Both looks have their supporters, so I can't see why either should be dismissed.

I have a white linen suit and generally mix it rather than wear it complete, for fear of looking like a Miami Vice refugee. The trousers go well with a dark-coloured polo shirt in summer, whilst the jacket is paired with more casual attire (can I mention the J-word here? ;) ) in a darker hue.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've seen alot of talk agains mixing and matching suits though i have no trouble doing this. A few years ago i bought a navy blue and a solid grey suit for the specific purpose of mixing the pieces... made for great options in the workplace.

Sometimes trousers wear out... you don't just throw out the jacket, you have to mix and match.

Canadave

One Too Many
Is no one concerned about the fact that suit jackets are cut differently than sports jacket or blazers, and may look a bit odd matched with a different pair of pants?

David

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Canadave said:
Is no one concerned about the fact that suit jackets are cut differently than sports jacket or blazers, and may look a bit odd matched with a different pair of pants?

David

It is my understanding that the original sportscoat look wasfrom certain trendsetters such as college kids wearing suit jackets with slacks for a more casual look.

Of course today, the tweed jacket is rarely a suit jacket. Tweed pants are rarely made.

Back in the 20s not only was the classic blue db blazer with grey or tan or white slacks worn, but they also wore grey flannel db coats with white slacks.

If you want a vintage look, a suit jacket would be just the thing.

Of course, in the 30s and 40s the houndstooth check sportscoat was cool, and in the 50s flecks are really cool. I used to have a black one with pink flecks. Very Desi Arnez.

As a ra as light or dark, you can do either and either is acceptable. Keep in mind though that your body type might come into issue. If you are bigger on top, or bottom, lighter or darker will accentuate or diminish. Not sure how exactly, but you can figure it out.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Canadave said:

David

Personally I would only wear a suit jacket that would look like a sportcoat. I have a fifties fleck suit and will wear the jacket seperately as a sportscoat. I also have a blue db suit jacket I will pair with white or grey spacks, but only if i want to look really costumy like a yaghter or something.

I would never mix pinstripes, but nothing against someone who did. Just my personal tendency. Also, I don't think that would have been done traditionally.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I tend to wear pinstripe jackets with plain lighter pants- it brings out the stripes. There was a trend in pinstripe pants a few years ago, but I couldn't really see pinstripe pants with other things...it just looked incomplete to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80