Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobile Phones?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I was living on my own I didnt have a land line either. Just the cell. I have since moved into a house that has a land line. To this day, though, when someone needs to reach me I give them my cell number because thats the surest way to reach me. I always have it with me.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I use an iPhone and love it. I have not had a landline in well over 10 years.

I do not let my phone own me, I own it.

I have all alerts turned off but the ones I want (an appointment as an example), no beeps for text etc, no notifications of emails. Not even a vibration alert.

I turn the ringer off whenever I am with people, at meals, etc. and I DO NOT look at my phone or talk on it when with other unless it was preplanned that I would have to work, etc.

I mostly put it on airplane mode at night.

Of course people who have my number understand I don’t routinely answer. Leave a message if you want to talk to me. If I don’t know the number it IS going to voicemail.

That all being said I love the technology of a smart phone. I use it for comparison shopping all the time (red laser), check amazon for reviews, navigate with google maps, check yelp for reviews of restaurants and stores, etc. text when needed (I’m not big on texting) and do emails for work when out and about. It allows me a lot of freedom to be away from a computer work-wise. I take a lot of pictures with my phone also.

Smart phone are incredible as long as you make sure to define who is the owner, and who is owned.

On a related note I have decided I will no longer continue conversations with people who look at their phone constantly or text while having a conversation with me.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I have a mobile with enough storage to fit all my music on and with a decent camera to take pics for ease, I hardly ever use it to call anyone, but need it to recieve work related calls, I do text a lot though...

I haven't worn a watch since I was a teenager.. [ 36 now ]

Edward

Bartender
The problem I have with having a mobile phone is that if I don't pick up, people assume something is wrong (because they _always_ pick up). I've had frantic voicemail messages left by people thinking I've gone and died because I've not picked up my phone for a day.

Ah, the first thing I did was disable voicemail. If it's important, they can text or call back. I've trained my mother not to assume I've been mugged if I don't answer. Took a while, but it worked...

Lokar

A-List Customer
Ah, the first thing I did was disable voicemail. If it's important, they can text or call back. I've trained my mother not to assume I've been mugged if I don't answer. Took a while, but it worked...

My problem is that my mother in law a) assumes everything is important (if she wants to ask if I'd like some milk and I don't pick up, she will panic), and b) never mentions it to me, but just shouts at my wife (her daughter) instead. Ugh.

My actual mother hates mobile phones. Maybe it runs in the family..

JimWagner

Practically Family
No predictions for the future, but my son (30) has never worn a wristwatch, doesn't have a land line, and uses his cell phone for both. I have a smart phone, but carry a pocket watch or wear a wrist watch and do have a land line. I do have to say that if I had more bars on my smart phone inside the house I'd probably get rid of the land line, but I'd still carry a watch.

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I too have the iPhone and now that I do, I use it for every thing. Facebook, email, calls, texts, apps, etc. I am posting from it right now. But I do still wear a wristwatch, and I still use my land line at home. I give out my cell number as it the surest way to get a hold of me, but I make most calls at home on the landline. When I get my new place soon, it too will have a landline, in the form of a 302 on my desk. I like having both the phones and keeping one line open just in case. When I was in the Corps I always just had a cell, though. Oh, I'll be 23 next week, and I'm the only one of my peers I know who still uses their home line.

Berlin

Practically Family
I have a cellphone, don't use it thát often, except for calling with my boyfriend.
I did 'pimp it up' as authentic as I could :)
While typing a text message, you hear a typemachine sound, and my ringtone is an old telephone ring :)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
While typing a text message, you hear a typemachine sound, and my ringtone is an old telephone ring :)

Excellent. I hadn't thought of the typewriter sounds. Although I changed the theme around to look "steampunkish" ... rusted gears and such. And the clock looks like the face of a pocketwatch.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I love my Android smart phone. I no longer have to carry a bag full of electronics, its all in one device. I'm a volunteer fire fighter and about a week ago I responded to a call to set up a landing zone for a medical helicopter coming to pick up a twelve year old kid that had been injured in a fall. I arrived at the site before our trucks, which have onboard GPS. I was able to use my smart phone to determine the GPS coordinates and radio them to the helicopter immediately. I don't know if getting the chopper there a couple of minutes earlier made any difference in the outcome for the patient, but I'm really glad I was able to do it.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I have two, my own personal one is a HTC Desire, somewhat of an iPhone killer in my opinion, that I love and am always using to look things up and use the internet on. And I have a BlackBerry for work that bleeps and rings every hour of the day and night. I will admit I am addicted to them both and couldn't even leave the house without them. However, I will always always have a watch.

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have a business cell for that I use all of the time as I am in Technical Sales. I really would not be able to properly do my job today without. One thing I do try to do though is turn the thing off when I get home. When It comes to Watches I wear one all of the time, and it us usually a mechanical one as well.

TJC

New in Town
I have a cell phone and seem to be connected to it, but it will never replace my watch. I have heard the same thing and I quiet frankly find it a stretch.

Talbot

One Too Many
No predictions for the future, but my son (30) has never worn a wristwatch, doesn't have a land line, and uses his cell phone for both. I have a smart phone, but carry a pocket watch or wear a wrist watch and do have a land line. I do have to say that if I had more bars on my smart phone inside the house I'd probably get rid of the land line, but I'd still carry a watch.

Same here. My 19 y.o. daughter does not wear a watch. Says there is one in her phone. Many of the kids in college feel the same, although pocket watches are on the rise.

TV is the same, many kids don't bother these days.

I guess if you're always on your cell phone:texting, responding to or making a constant stream of life altering urgent calls then you'll always see what time it is.

Wish you'd watch where you're driving- although having the phone in your hand during the accident means it's convenient to call for an ambulance for the people you've just injured right after you've called your lawyer.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I'm amazed at how many people on this thread say they can't do without a mobile phone. It's not like I hate technology either - I'm a programmer. I just like my freedom, too, and for me a mobile prevents that. (Especially job related - I suppose if you travel a lot in your job I understand, but when I stop work I don't want to think about it for a millisecond until the next day).

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Especially job related - I suppose if you travel a lot in your job I understand, but when I stop work I don't want to think about it for a millisecond until the next day

I work in mental health and part of my duties are finding coverage if someone calls out so I am married to my phone 24/7. I also run a non-profit in North Carolina (I do this from Vermont - as a hobby) so my mobile allows me to be out and about while answering emails or reacting to emergencies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I own a cell phone. 4 people have the number, three are close family, one is technically my boss. It is a basic phone, which I can use in Europe (I travel to Europe twice a year on average- I live in the U.S.).

I have considered getting a phone with more features, I'm not sure if I will.

I wear a wrist watch, mainly because I teach and I need to know when class ends. I also need to know when the bus comes. Here they have ripped out all of the payphones. The cellphone has proved to be useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider