Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobile Phones?

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I'm amazed at how many people on this thread say they can't do without a mobile phone. It's not like I hate technology either - I'm a programmer. I just like my freedom, too, and for me a mobile prevents that. (Especially job related - I suppose if you travel a lot in your job I understand, but when I stop work I don't want to think about it for a millisecond until the next day).

“Can’t do without” and being a slave (i.e. not having your freedom) are two different things that a dependant on the user of the technology. Even when I had a land-line the ringer was turned off most of the time. I don’t have to jump and run to the phone because it commands me. I don’t have to answer because a person calls, they don’t command me either. When you watch people interact with their belongings you can see how much the item owns them, the physical/emotional reactions they have to the things when it commands them, etc.

Most people let themselves be Pavlovianly trained by their technology. If you wired them up you would see the physical reaction the ringer or text alert activates in them. Slaves.

I don’t want to do without either my smart phone or my computer, I find them very convenient and they allow me to experience more of life not less, but I through conscious effort keep them in their place.(most of the time)

We have to remember that anything that is successful like a phone, compute game, website, etc is “addictive”; through evolutionary design the things that are most addictive out-compete those that are not. Numerous companies are competing to be your drug dealer and give you your fix. They are constantly upgrading their drugs to try to win you over.

IMO most people’s relationship with their phone is that of an alcoholic or other drug addict, in many cases in desperate need of intervention.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, not a soul in my generation feels that way. Mobiles (and smartphones even more so) are more important than people. I read a great article about when the same train going to Stockholm didn't make it - once in the 60s, once last year (during winter). During the 60s, while the passengers waited for the next train or a bus, they got talking, and the important businessmen in a hurry found out who else was going near where they were and they got taxis together. Last year when it happened, everybody just started using their phone, nobody talked to another, and nobody shared any kind of ride. Sad.

If everybody was like you with phones (and probably, technology and even life in general), Ragnar, I get the feeling life would be a nicer place.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I always have a phone with me, sometimes several. Such are the joys of being a tester for a well known Finnish firm, I get to play with all the latest tech.

However, I will never use a phone if I am speaking to someone in person or sitting at the dinner table, that is just rude.

Desert_Rat

New in Town
I have a work cell that I hardly ever use anymore; that and I am in places and doing things where carrying one located for easy access is a quick way to get it ruined. I actually find myself reverting back to wristwatches due to them being (in my book) classier and more refined. But then there are some pretty ugly wristwatches these days as well.....

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I'm amazed at how many people on this thread say they can't do without a mobile phone. It's not like I hate technology either - I'm a programmer. I just like my freedom, too, and for me a mobile prevents that. (Especially job related - I suppose if you travel a lot in your job I understand, but when I stop work I don't want to think about it for a millisecond until the next day).

Ah see this is where the BlackBerry has revolutionised my role, it means that I need never be out of touch. As I am paid 24/7 and on call the same having the CrackBerry means that I can always keep myself updated and current with what is happening, if I was having to log on to a computer all the time to check up it would mean I would never leave the house or office.

Now I understand that there are people out there who are not as enthused about their jobs as I am, and that when I don't know what is going on at work it niggles at me, but I really don't think I could do without my phones.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I've been with people who not only talked on their phone at a dinner table in a restaurant while the rest of us sat there, but then wanted the waitress to wait for them to order!

Then again my past roommate would get your attention to tell you a story and then in the middle of it, pull out his phone and return a text. It didn’t take many of those before I would walk off and not let him finish telling me his story even after he put the phone away.
My fuse gets shorter and shorter for these people, when cell phones were new it was easy to see how people would get carried away by them and forget their manners, there is no excuse by this point.

martinsantos

Practically Family
In several moments I turn silent the phone. When getting lunch or dinner with others, with clients, etc. People sometimes become with bad manners or without sense. Last week I couldn't answer, because I was dinning. A client called in one hour ELEVEN times.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I do find them hateful things, but a necessity, i have a child who has just started secondary school and who i have to provide taxi service for.

As has been discussed the fact that one is almost required to account for their whereabouts at any given time drives me cuckoo. Also bad telephone manners as Martin mentioned.

I just simply don't answer the blooming thing if i don't feel like it or just switch it off and then become very Garbo-esque and enigmatic when people ask me why/where i've been hiding from them! (I wish).

subject101

One of the Regulars
I hate phones too, all kind of phones but I have one with me. However, I only pick it up when girlfriend or mother calls. No exceptions, no texting, no voice mail. And I'd have to add;

1. No using a cell phone has caused me more social problems than any other action in my life. I have lost friends and sometimes I run into troubles when dealing with clients.

2. There are places where you can't find any public phone anymore and sometimes you need to make calls.

3. Most girlfriends use cell phones and you have to answer whether you like it or not. Period. There is no way out here.

Bullwinkle

New in Town
wife and I are both just over 60.. we both have cells and no land-line. use a broadband card for internet access. neither kid (40 & 38) have land-lines. all of us do wear watches.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I still use a land line... The only way to still use my old (from late 40s, beggining 50s) telephone. That's the only phone that don't make me nervous when rings!! ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have a cell phone, basically a Sony Ericsson W350 model that is almost three years old. I don't think I intend on replacing it that soon. As long as it works, I don't see why I should yet.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The iPhone and the EBay app where made for each other. Watching for that item you want and the auction ends is an hour and 3 minutes and you are not near a computer. Bid from the phone its fast and easy. Saved search is great also I have all the tag's saved for various searches I use and they are updated all the time.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Currently my cell phone service is turned off, but I still carry my phone with me at all times. it is my watch, my calendar, my MP3 player, my camera and video camera, my phone book, and much more. All without service from a provider. no it is not a black berry or any other PDA. It's a Motorola Back Flip. When I do have service it is also my GPS, satellite radio, text messaging, email, facebook, you tube, and much more. Oh and some times I use it to make phone calls.

ortega76

Practically Family
In Chicago, there is a custom clothier that has done a bumper business in three-piece suits with the waistcoat often having a pocket cut to fit your particular mobile device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21