Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobile Phones?

Justin B

One Too Many
I carry an iPhone, but mostly just for business. It allows me to keep up with email and update things on through our web applications easily. I however abhor the fact that cells have replaced wristwatches. I wear a watch every day and have a nice collection of them. I think a man isn't properly dressed without one.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I have a cell phone, it's good to have since we don't have a land line, and we get it through my sister-in-law who is able to get these great plans for them. I am not "hooked" on it, and do a lot of screening of my calls. If I'm in a public place and I need to take the call I go elsewhere to talk instead of irritating others. And I DO NOT need all the newest crap on a phone. Again my sister-in-law picked my phone out, has all these gadgets I never use, nor will ever use. I take and make calls, and maybe text about 1-2 times a month, and only for a short time.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I'm using a lot my cell phone to write texts - more than talking. It's a kind of telegram by phone, to me. No one writes a letter with it. And you don't have to get long chatings - sometimes in places where is very difficult to talk and so on.

A thing like "Come office 09:00 thursday" or "I need those docs quickly, today!" is efficient, no time-consuming and easy. The time you need to write in those silly keyboards is shorter that any dialogue, misunderstanding and so on.

Edward

Bartender
I prefer to text someone rather than leave a voicemail message. It seems only polite: I feel surer they'll get it sooner, plus they don't have to incur any additional cost to get it.

Warden

One Too Many
I know I should not say this, as I run an IT dept, but I hate the idea folks can find / contact me so quickly. It sends Edna mad as I have my phone off 80% of the time & she can't reach me.

But I am sure it is a generational thing, I am 47 but no one in dept are over 29, they all have the phone either glued to the ear, texting or listening to music (with no bass).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana