Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Male Identity Crisis

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I forgot to mention that we also have a misdemeanor murder charge here that we typically use in drug dealer murder cases. The formal name of the charge is "Shooting Into Occupied Clothing" and it is punished by a 30 day maximum sentence, or 120 hours of community service.

AF

I prefer “Permanent Rehabilitation”. Or if the shooter is himself a dirtbag, high percentage of them are, there is always Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon charge.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Naw...I'll bet there's several "Yer deads" where you live. There's probably a "Yer dead cause yer killer planned yer death to get yer money or yer wife or yer car." And there's probably a "Yer dead cause yer killer got mad at you and killed you without thinking about it." And there's probably a "Yer dead cause yer a drug dealer and you and another drug dealer were shootin' at each other...and you missed."

AF

:eusa_clap:cheers1::lol:

That is good. Well played Sir.

Str8Jacket

New in Town
Thanks for the article, Gene!

I'm sure many of us will agree with the sentiments expressed in the article, although it seems a little diluted compared to similar articles I've seen from mass media outlets. (Nothing against you Gene, it's just how CNN tends to do things. I read them everyday and see this contrast often.)

On the other hand, I took issue with the seemingly needless poke at the Occupy Wall St. movement. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like OWS is the the reference du jour for journalists to make their articles relevant. Specifically, I took issue with the statement:

"Instead of industriousness, responsibility and entrepreneurship, these men demand free college education, required living wages and greater distribution of someone else's wealth. Rather than look inward and rely on their own self-sufficiency, they look for a handout. A man's livelihood once depended on his hands, back and brain. Today, the government can do all that for him, if he lets it."

I'll leave politics out of this forum but it seemed like a silly cheap shot to take when there are so many other glaring problems which might have been referenced regarding the drop in "manliness".

I actually thought this was a timely and poignent statement. Ben Franklin once said that "the sting in any criticism is the truth". I see the the truth in this statement in the very same unguided boys coming into my beloved Corps weekly. Boys that must be grown into Men; sometimes very much against their will. I do however see hope. If time is any indicator, we shall see a renewal of true masculinity, hardend Men who value life and family. Men who are willing to earn their living through the sweat of their brow and strength of their backs! Men who value the deep heartfelt partnership of their chosen Lady and will remain true. The Art of the Gentleman is not dead. It is being reborn.

Semper Fi,
~Str8

I actually thought this was a timely and poignent statement. Ben Franklin once said that "the sting in any criticism is the truth". I see the the truth in this statement in the very same unguided boys coming into my beloved Corps weekly. Boys that must be grown into Men; sometimes very much against their will. I do however see hope. If time is any indicator, we shall see a renewal of true masculinity, hardend Men who value life and family. Men who are willing to earn their living through the sweat of their brow and strength of their backs! Men who value the deep heartfelt partnership of their chosen Lady and will remain true. The Art of the Gentleman is not dead. It is being reborn.

Semper Fi,
~Str8

Agreed Str8
Good post.

Espirt De Corps
HD

Part of the problem is that unlike women, who are always women, even from childhood, many boys either never, or much later in life than would be expected, become men.

I forgot who said it but a man really isn't a man until his father is gone to the hereafter. You become your own man pretty fast and take his place in the world of men---giving advice and guidance to the next generation just as he once did to you.

Edward

Bartender
I forgot who said it but a man really isn't a man until his father is gone to the hereafter. You become your own man pretty fast and take his place in the world of men---giving advice and guidance to the next generation just as he once did to you.

Kind of presumes that one chooses to breed.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Well said, some of the most sage advice i have received in my formative years has been from those who hadn't procreated for whatever reason.

I just think today gender roles have become rather blurred, which doesn't make it easy for a lot of men, one the one hand you're supposed to be hunter gatherer, the other, in touch with your feelings, a bit metro-sexual, etc, etc...confusing...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I know that I wasn't regarded as an adult by some people in my family until I had my child at 33. I wasn't actually any different, though.

Justin B

One Too Many
I lost my father when I was 12. I can say that I did step into a more adult role much, much earlier than my peers did. In some ways I'm still ahead of like-aged people, in otherways I'm far behind them. I have a better understanding of business, self reliance, and responsibility than many. I suffer somewhat in the social aspects of life however as I didn't have a lot of the interactions that many did in their youth as I was busy working and supporting my family.

I lost my father when I was 12. I can say that I did step into a more adult role much, much earlier than my peers did. In some ways I'm still ahead of like-aged people, in otherways I'm far behind them. I have a better understanding of business, self reliance, and responsibility than many. I suffer somewhat in the social aspects of life however as I didn't have a lot of the interactions that many did in their youth as I was busy working and supporting my family.

You can learn social aspects. Better than those 30 somethings that still live in Dad's basement playing video games. :p

Justin B

One Too Many
True, and I'm working on the whole social thing. Haven't quite got it figured out. I find I have little patience for people who can't actually say what they mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran