Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Another movie that recreates the atmosphere of the 1920s beautifully is Woody Allen's "Bullets Over Broadway"... music, mood, clothes, interiors and exteriors, i think it is all very carefully and nicely done! :eusa_clap

392563_f520.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Radio days

Purple Rose Of Cairo

Brideshead (Both of em)

A Handfull of Dust

Love in a Cold Climate (1980 version, With dame Judie Dench as "Sadie" )

Brazil (Michael Palin)

Pennies from heaven (Both of em)

The Women (1939 version only please!)

The Boyfriend (1971 with TWIGGY!)

Bullshot Crummond ( A Hoot!)

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Another movie that recreates the atmosphere of the 1920s beautifully is Woody Allen's "Bullets Over Broadway"... music, mood, clothes, interiors and exteriors, i think it is all very carefully and nicely done! :eusa_clap

Hey Hadley,

Now that you decided to dive into the darkest corners of the human soul :eusa_doh: Then let's look at:

deconstructing_harry_ver2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFUJA ? :eek:fftopic: ??

"What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." W.A. et voila...

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
Someone earlier queried about The Sound of Music, so here you go:

The Sound of Music did actually take place in the golden Era, as the Anschluss (Nazi Germany taking over Austria in 1938) is depicted in the film. Also at the beginning is mentioned in gold caption "Salzburg, Austria: The last golden days of the '30's".

In addition to the films already mentioned I enjoyed the two ABC miniseries The Winds of War and War and Rememberance. Both are available on DVD. Another film I enjoyed recently was Valkyrie with Tom Cruise.

For children I would reccomend:

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl and Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front. I watched both of these with my young niece and nephew this past year. Great attention to period detail right down to the cabinet contents!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I really liked what they did with Road to Perdition. The look, feel & mood was just right. Makes me want to go & get the graphic novel it was sourced from. The Rooney mansion set was very beautiful to behold. All that wonderful art deco woodwork throughout. And then you see how John Rooney's favorite, Michael Sullivan, lived in an old house, what a contrast. I especially enjoyed the mood set by the music.

Cheers!

Dan

I am not sure if I have listed this previously, and I have never actually seen this film but want to at some point from my memory of the trailers.

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" 1967 a comedy / musical set in the 1920's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo