Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern things you haven't experienced

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I would have said the same before reading this thread ... but now I'm surprised at how 'non-modern' many of us are!

as we sit here on a computer....

To me...its not a 'name things' sort of issue...all of us live in the modern world...and use modern appliances like computers.

I cannot say I am 59% vintage because I dont have a playstation, but I use my laptop to watch a dvd....

etc....

anachronism...is anachronism

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Points taken.

And yet, I'm still surprised by some of the posts. :)

I think in some cases, at least, it's just a matter of not wanting to bother with things that one doesn't need -- why clutter your life and run up your light bills with a bunch of gadgets and gizmos just for the sake of having them? I think there's a lot to be said for simplicity in life -- it's not a "retro" thing so much as it's a keeping-to-basics thing. I've never had those things, and nobody's been able yet to give me a good reason why I needed to have them.

Rosie

One Too Many
The only thing I haven't done I think, is use one of those wireless headsets. Those things creep me out. I have used cordless phones in the past but no longer, at least not at home.

Photomuse

Familiar Face
I wish I could do without all of the gizmos, it would force me to slow a little, which I could always use.

I know a family who is trying to raise their kids without all the things you can plug in and turn on. They have severe restrictions on television and no game consoles are allowed in the house. It's a tough job raising a 14 yr old boy without those things! The end result is he ends up spending most of his time at the other kids' houses so that he can plug in and get his fix.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Call it kismet. I was just listening to Fibber McGee from 4/17/45 when I began to read this thread and they were waxing nostolgic over telephones that were boxes on the wall instead of the new-fangled hand sets. Maybe next generation will be longing for the days cell phones were handheld instead of implanted.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I don't have video games, a car, GPS, Tivo, a credit card, and I didn't have cable until moving to the dorms.... other than that I'm horridly modern, I'll admit.

koopkooper

Practically Family
Gee I really picked a good topic, pleased with all the response.
Reading them I realized what other gadgets and things I don't have lie IPOD's and GPS. Mind you, I tend to constantly get lost when going somewhere new bymyself and often have thought that with the amount of money I lose driving around in gas that I could have bought a GPS and got there quicker.
Mind you I won't get one, it would look stupid in the 65 Val.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I think in some cases, at least, it's just a matter of not wanting to bother with things that one doesn't need -- why clutter your life and run up your light bills with a bunch of gadgets and gizmos just for the sake of having them? I think there's a lot to be said for simplicity in life -- it's not a "retro" thing so much as it's a keeping-to-basics thing. I've never had those things, and nobody's been able yet to give me a good reason why I needed to have them.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
I have no cell phone, dishwasher, microwave ,game thingie of any kind, pager, blackberry, Ipod, GPS, Tivo, several of the items mentioned in previous posts I don't even know what they are . We never planned to get a computer but when my husband was injured at work he was retrained in the computer field. So if I have no use for these things why would I get them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never driven a car (dont have a license).

NO TiVo (no Tee Vee).

No X box, but I did nave an Atari (Its in my closet :) ) Sega and Sega Genesis growing up :)

No palm pilot, blackberry, or pocket windows machine.

LD

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've never owned a cell phone... but with a small kid, it may just become a necessary evil-

Cars... I love old cars- was brought up on old Falcons and Holdens in NZ.
When I was at Intermediate school, I had a friend who drove his Dad's Holden ute to school (he was 11 yrs old)!

I was however, in NZ over the last month and in need of daily transport-
My brother is a car wrangler and vehicle camera rig supplier to the movie industry over there and let me take my pick from his 150+ inventory-

I passed on the Caddies, Lincolns and Police cars and chose a late model Honda Integra Turbo- Wow- that thing could fly... tiptronic transmission, hard suspension- like driving a Gokart on the street and great for parking and a massive stereo to boot. That was as much fun as I need in a modern car.
I'm all done there-

My hand formed aluminium bodied 1929 Austin Seven racing special is still only in the very early stages......

B
T

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I don't have an iPod (I like to hear stuff going on when I walk) or a SatNav (I love maps!), but most of the other stuff I do have - washer/dryer, microwave (though in my defense I got it when I had no oven for a few weeks and now only use it to defrost stuff), games console, digibox, dvd, video, stereo, car with power steering and electric windows and A/C, mobile phone, piercings, dyson vacuum cleaner, er...I'll stop now.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I neeeed...

laptop, iPod, cable, broadband, AirPort, credit card, cel phone (not for phoning as much as surfing the web and FL during boring times away from home), crosstrainers, digicam, auto. trans., a/c, dishwasher, voicemail (screening r00lz!!12), antidepressants, Splenda...

I could give up 3 or 4 of these for the right woman, but no more than that.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I've used most of the technology, although I haven't touched a game console newer than a Nintendo 64. I don't have a myspace page, although I do run my own website.

But I have never watched a "reality" show, and don't plan to. The bits and pieces of them I've seen did nothing to attract me.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Sheesh, I've been trying to think of what I don't have or use. Up until Christmas I was iPod free, then got one as a gift, thank goodness, because where I work gets very poor radio reception on the itty bittyy fm radio I had.
Use my cell phone daily, usually that is the number I give out in place of my home phone, the cell also doubles as digi cam. The playstation 2 is used more often for dvds than for actual games. Of course I have computer, could live with out cable, but that is the only bonus I have for rooming with my mum. Washer, dryer (although in summer line dry clothing often) other wise I'd head to the laundry mat, I have girls, they change their clothes to often to even consider hand washing. Microwave for nuking left overs or frozen meals when time is short.
Yup, I like my modern convieniances. Although I can get along just fine without them, except for the cell, need to have access to the offspring.

Ooo, and if air planes count as modern tech, well, my first time was only a few years ago. lol

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Like many here, no i-pod or similar device. Never used a VCR or DVD player. Bought my first TV a year ago when I was 49 years old. Never played any sort of video games. I thought this would be a really long list when I started, but I've already run out of things. I guess I'm more modern than I thought!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner