Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Whippet...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Fellow member Griff emailed me this pictures form the inside of his modern whippet. Thanks!

Very nice and similar--if not identical--to the pictures posted by Cardelo and Zetwal. I wonder why wouldn't they put whipper on the liner or sweat like the used to in the vintage hats... Cost?

securedownload2.jpg

securedownload.jpg

1159877945536jb3.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
Very nice hat! a bit on the fuzzy side, is that right?

Yep, silk finish, a bit shiny, really soft and flexy felt - love the fabric sweat. My sage Chatham has black liner, black sweat; Caribou Ashland has white liner, black sweat; Brown Ashland has white liner, brown sweat.

HATCO

Vendor
The sweatband is absolutely not plastic or bonded. It is Genuine Leather. The only thing I can think of is that you are looking at the reeding tape which is a textile and is sewn on to the back of the leather. Can I ask you where you got the hat?

boushi_mania said:
Really? My sweatband is black and probably not actual leather...

I don't have the hat in front of me, but as I recall, "Whippet" isn't written on the sweatband, but it is on the sticker with the barcode underneath.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
HATCO said:
The sweatband is absolutely not plastic or bonded. It is Genuine Leather. The only thing I can think of is that you are looking at the reeding tape which is a textile and is sewn on to the back of the leather. Can I ask you where you got the hat?
On further inspection, I think you're right. I wasn't sure because of the texture, but I think that's probably what it is.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Daizawayguy,

I recovered these two pictures from the email, new member Griff sent me along with the others I posted before. I touched up a bit since they were blurry and off. I'd say the color is best represented in the second one.

ww.jpg

w.jpg

Pompidou

One Too Many
I just ordered the tawney Stetson Whippet from Del Monico Hatters. It should be in in 2-3 business days. I didn't do free shipping this time because I really, really, really hate waiting for things I order. I'm as impatient as a little kid on Christmas morning trying to wake his parents at 4:30AM. I can't wait. I'm giving my Indiana Jones furfelt to a friend at the bar who loves my hats but can't put the money towards one. The hat looks nice, even after a beating, but it's too small and I can't tolerate the headaches anymore, from shoehorning the thing on my head. I look forward to my new Stetson. I don't know if I'll like it more than my porkpie though. We'll see.
TF321023%20Stetson%20Whippet_500x.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Please post pictures and details when you receive it. You're not alone, BTW.
I hate waiting for my hats, too. And I'd bet money that not too few lounger suffer from this ailment!lol

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'll be glad to. My dad is something of a camera fanatic - collecting golden age photography equipment, (it was his ebayed "press fedora" from the 40s that got me hooked) and has a full fledged workshop for it, so I'm sure he can stick it under that white backdrop canopy thing and we'll get you some nice photos. I'm not a good photographer. I would like to make some contributions here though, so this is a start.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
You mean like this? ;)

DSC04571-1.jpg

I had my sister in law, a pro. photographer, take pictures of some of my hats.
Here's the whippet I sold a few days ago.

IMG_9605.jpg

Griff

New in Town
Love my new Whippet. I relize that it's not what the vintage lids are made of but mine feels good and looks good. Went to a party this last weekend and had lots of compliments. My soon-to-be wife loves it and I'll be wearing it to my wedding in April.
I'm looking at summer straws now. The summer is going to be hot here but I'm going to squeeze as much wearing time out of my felt as I can.
Those vintage Whippets look good.

metropd

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Glued. But in fairness to Stetson, all modern non-custom hatmakers glue their liners. And the stitching on the sweat band is good, even if the sweat band material isn't.

My new Christy's is not.

Pompidou

One Too Many
There was a computer error and my hat was out of stock. I've got to wait 3-3.5 weeks now. I'll get over it.

Next day edit: There was a double computer error. My hat came in today. They only thought it wasn't shipped. I'm wearing it now. Will take pics this weekend. I love it. The only gripe, and I always have one, is it was pictured with a feather and didn't come with one. The brim was all up like a pork pie when I got it, but it snapped down in front easy enough. This is by far my highest quality hat so far. My real head size is 7 3/4 apparently, though I can wear 7.5 with only a minor red mark. I suspect my true size is something in between the two. This one isn't quite snug, and the prior is just a midge too tight. I like both. I might keep this one featherless. It looks too rugged for a feather.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pompidou said:
...I like both. I might keep this one featherless. It looks too rugged for a feather.

Some feathers are more rugged than others. Tail feathers from game birds are especially rugged.

It's well known that in Arkansas they wear pheasant or turkey feathers in their hats for self-defense. You mess with one of these guys and you'll end up with a feather going back and forth through your nose and throat. Ever tried to say UNCLE! with a massage like that?

Just stay out of Texas. They shoot guys with tail feathers in their hats.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CRH said:
Just stay out of Texas. They shoot guys with tail feathers in their hats.

Texas Parks and Wildlife (game wardens) do not require a license nor are there caliber restrictions on the hunter's weapon....:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy