Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified Gloverall 512 Dufflecoat (with a twist)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello everybody,

last week I had a bit of time at my hand during evenings and I decided I would try my (poor) sewing and leather skills at something substantial and robust in my collection of jackets.

Not too long ago I'd seen a Nigel Cabourn modification on a peacoat which then had leather trim on cuffs, hem and pockets. I thought it might look good on a dufflecoat as well.
So off I went into my little workshop and cut the leather stripes that were needed to do the mod.

The leather is grade A veg tanned spray finish calf skin which I got from a friend as a gift. It's thicker than what you would use for a leather jacket. Yet it is very pliable. It very much resembles Aero's jerky spray finish HH. The colour is almost identical. I didn't skive any of the leather straps so the result looks quite sturdy and robust...some might say clumsy.

6471769443_c7f2801bbc_z.jpg

6471776379_b0cd94e1d8_z.jpg

A much thinner leather band on the hood to keep it flexible.

6471783297_7d3fa32253_z.jpg

The leather pieces are handsewn using single needle saddlestitch (viennese style). The thread is buttonhole yarn which I twisted into a 4-ply thread to create greater thickness.

These are the tools that I used:

6471822245_3785b69687_z.jpg

- Really heavy steel ruler (4 lbs) my granddad made from hardened steel when he was still working for "Weserhütte" iron works constructing food processing machines
- Medical scalpel with type 21 disposable carbon steel blade (used three blades in total)
- Buttonhole yarn
- Punch pliers

Some details of cuffs and pockets:

6471789269_3b4eb743d8_z.jpg

6471796959_20e6401540_z.jpg

Throat latch. Leather on one wool on the other side:

6471803253_d7a11d224c_z.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I need some new friends as mine never give me gifts of vegetable tanned leather! Great looking modification on an already beautiful coat. I'm about the same size as you chest-wise; mind if I ask what size Gloverall dufflecoat you wear?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks Peacoat and Grayland. I'm afraid my sewing skills aren't good enough for leather garment.

Grayland, the Gloverall is a size 38 and still quite generous. Chestwise I could pull off a 36 but the sleeves would be too short then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael