Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monte Cristo anyone?

Rachael

A-List Customer
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that serves a good Monte Cristo Sandwich. Here in Portland would be great but after so much searching I would be willing to plan a trip. The mister hasn't had a good Monte Cristo since his favorite haunt changed from a vintage/Three Stooges motif to a very loud sports bar.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I make them at home. Not hard at all, if you have a well-seasoned cast iron pan. Make sure the bread is good and thick ... think Texas Toast. And don't forget the sprinkle of sugar at the end!

Richard

Rachael

A-List Customer
never thought to try one at home but I do have a good skillet and a sense of adventure. any chance I could get a recipe/instructions?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Beat a mixture of egg and milk (salt & pepper too), just as you would for french toast. Preheat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Butter it liberally. Put mayo on one slice of thick bread and dijon on the other. Layer on thin sliced turkey and ham, add muenster (my choice ... any cheese will do). I also like to add a slice of tomato and some onion. Soak the whole sandwich in the egg mixture. Fry in the hot pan. When golden brown, flip. Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar.

Richard

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Wow, what a flashback. The one and only time that I had a Monte Cristo sandwich was around 1974 at a restaurant in Santa Barbara. Breakfast, lunch, and dessert, all rolled into one. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen on a plate. This was before Hot Pockets, mind you.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bennigan's restaurant has a very good Monte Cristo sandwich. They have them here in Albuquerque, and I'm assuming other places as well. It's a very filling meal; you're likely to have leftovers, or at least share it with someone.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Wolf said:
I always thought a Monte Cristo had to be deep fried.
They should be, at least that's the way The Mouse serves them. [huh] My Disneyland guilty pleasure.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
The Wolf said:
I always thought a Monte Cristo had to be deep fried.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I've only ever used a few tablespoons of butter and a touch of oil when making mine. Can't say I've had them deep fried, but I'd be willing to give it a try! :D

Richard

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bad experience

Monte Cristo is a DEELICIOUS sammidge, but once a long long time ago I had a very bad experience involving a Monte Cristo, a big glass of coke and a really nasty old mop string, and I can't think of a Monte Cristo any more with put getting a little queasy. Hope I didn't spoil anyone's lunch. . . . .

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Monte Cristo is a DEELICIOUS sammidge, but once a long long time ago I had a very bad experience involving a Monte Cristo, a big glass of coke and a really nasty old mop string, and I can't think of a Monte Cristo any more with put getting a little queasy. Hope I didn't spoil anyone's lunch. . . . .

Sounds like a sad story actually. I hate to think of the concept of such a wonderful food item being destroyed by such a bad experience. If that was a somewhat recent occurrence, maybe the queasy feeling you experience will eventually subside.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
In the Twin Cities there is a family chain of Restaurants called Key's and the Monte Cristo's are very good. If you are in town, Key's is an excellent choice for breakfast or lunch.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Don't forget the jelly!
Damn, my arteries are starting to harden.
I wonder how many coronaries can be directly linked to the Monte Cristo?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Sounds like a sad story actually. I hate to think of the concept of such a wonderful food item being destroyed by such a bad experience. If that was a somewhat recent occurrence, maybe the queasy feeling you experience will eventually subside.
It was in 1982. I still cross to the other side of the street when walking up that block.
lol
Actually it was the great big glass of coke that had the . . . errr . . . surprise inside, but somehow the sandwich got the onus. Go figure.
In fact I'm starting to get all woozy just thinking about it again. Uhhhh . . . Gotta go . . . . .

Josephine

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
Bennigan's restaurant has a very good Monte Cristo sandwich.

THAT'S where I had one. I was thinking Ruby Tuesday.

tomasso said:
Couldn't this (deep fried) be said of just about any food product?

I have it on very good authority that a deep fried Twinkie is just horrendous.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran