Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moonbeam 1950's Repro Clocks – Check your Big Lots!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My wife calls me strage for sleeping with a pillow on my head.
I say it blocks out the light and any noise.

Morning #1 with the moonbeam:

My wife pushed me awake and pulled the pillow off of my head.
Suddenly, I thought a dump truck was making a turn into our bedroom.

That blinking alarm light on the moonbeam sure is bright!

gpwpat

Familiar Face
I hit 2 BL up last night and no black 1936 clock radio's/ if anybody finds an extra. pretty bummed I couldn't find one there or on line.

I believe Pink Dahlia is going to help me with my 1936 black clock radio addiction.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Awesome thread! I gotta get to my Big Lots and get one (or more)..thanks for the link to the alarmsclocksonline link in case they are out at BL!!!! Wow! i love the Moonbeams, the Twilight, & the 1931 black Big Ben!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My tale of frustration...

I set out for the closest Big Lots store this morning. "Closest" is a relative term here, as it was still 25 miles away. I got there and couldn't find any section for home decor. So I checked the electronics section. Nothing there either. I walked every aisle of that store, and finally found one pink Moonbeam in a section that was a, well, let's just say the phrase rhymes with "just her luck". This was the clearance section, where everything was just thrown on the shelves in no order whatsoever. Digging deeper, I ultimately found one more pink Moonbeam and three purple repro 1949 Big Bens. No 1936 clock radios. Ugh. Well, I had wasted an hour looking for the blinkin' things, so I bought one of the pink ones and one of the 1949s. Not my favourite colours, but I wasn't going to leave empty handed. On the way out to the car I decided that I wasn't going to settle for these, so I pointed the car in the direction of the next closest Big Lots - 38 miles away and in another state. I was a bit more successful there, as I found a bunch of the Moonbeams in green (they also had the pink), several 1939 Big Bens (like AlanC posted) and a 1931 Big Ben "Athens". Needless to say, I exchanged what I bought at the first store for a Green Moonbeam, a 1939 Big Ben and the 1931 Athens. Still no clock radio though. Bummer.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm really growing to like this thing.
DSC_0031.jpg

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I think we should all start posting pictures of our news clocks in our homes. Fun!

I will when I get home from work

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I'm really growing to like this thing.
DSC_0031.jpg

Is that the green one or the blue one? I've seen pictures of the green ones that look like this lovely shade of mint green that I'm seeing here, but when I looked at it in the box at the store, it looked bright flourescent green! Are there two different green shades available?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I opened the boxes in the store to view the pink, blue and green.
This is the green.
The blue looked completely different to me, but I don't know if there are different shades of blue or green available. Also, my photo is taken by natural light. Everything looks different under those harsh fluorescents.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does it tick, buzz, grind, purr?

I live with Mr. Bat Ears so I am doomed to digital clocks. At one point Restoration Hardware had these or a similar style, and they made noise, do these? I want a green one badly... but marital harmony is important too...

sixsexsix

Practically Family
the second hand makes a little noise, but it barely audible. i cannot sleep in a room with a loud ticking noise and my moonbeam is right above my head and i haven't had any trouble at all.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
I live with Mr. Bat Ears so I am doomed to digital clocks. At one point Restoration Hardware had these or a similar style, and they made noise, do these? I want a green one badly... but marital harmony is important too...

Ticking drives me absolutely crazy. I have a vintage solid state radio and I can't use it because of the noise of the motor.

The Moonbeam makes a very faint noise, but I can't hear it unless I'm holding it right next to my head.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
sixsexsix said:
I think we should all start posting pictures of our news clocks in our homes. Fun!

I will when I get home from work

WAH! My pink one is packed in a moving box. I do however have the black radio at the new house. Hm...

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
I got a pink one for one bedroom that has pink linens in it, but am going to go to some other Big Lots to try & find the blue one(and maybe the black radio one too!) Thanks again for a heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn