Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More incredible suits of Carlos Gardel

Perhaps the ultimate Golden Era suit: Single-breasted jacket with peak lapels and a two-button closure; double-breasted waistcoat with peak lapels and a six-button closure.

DBwc0.jpg

DBwc2.jpg

DBwc.jpg

gardel-y-los-gardes-18-09-34.jpg

gardel-y-pecci-en-niza-1932.jpg

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I'm seriously thinking of making my next suit like this one (and the Fairbanks suit in the other thread). Unfortunately, I don't have the spare funds at the moment for another suit for myself. Perhaps some guinea pig will present himself to have this made... but, if not, I'll get one of these down the line almost certainly! I've even got the material all picked out... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Three piece suits

With the three piece suit on the way back there would have to be a niche market for a classy vintage version.

After sighting the maestro himself in Violettas post I might just grab that CD of his I have in the drawer and have another listen. It might remind us what BsAs was like in its greatest ever era until Peron and other polllies and militarists stuffed it up.

upr_crust

New in Town
Having been to BA this past June . . .

. . . I can tell you that Gardel is still considered something of a god in his genre of tango.

Seeing pictures of Gardel remind me of Buenos Aires, a town which still has an air of Latin sensuality, combined with a stern sense of "propriety" in terms of personal attire. The memory of Gardel is still invoked, and tango is still considered something of a local art form (as is dressing well, though, as with the rest of the world, standards are falling among the younger set).

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Music: Sure - wonderful. I grew up with the idea of his near-divineness, and the tragedy of his death.

Fit of the suits: I'm not sure I'd call this "perfect fit", especially with the light suits in the first pictures. The trousers look too tight - maybe he gained some weight after he had them made in a narrow-hose style?

Noone ever looking better in a fedora; Let's face it: It wasn't just the hats he wore, it's his face, and so a mix of genes, character (= also genes?), period, region and how good life was to him. (And make-up, BTW.)

Does he just wear a waistcoat and an overcoat without a jacket in the last picture? Not that I mind the looks.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Carlos Gardel - Bio I found

The figure of Carlos Gardel epitomizes the very spirit of the Tango. It is generally assumed that he was born Charles Gardes un Toulouse, France, on December 11th, 1890, although some other sources suggest Tacuarembó, Uruguay. It is undisputed, however, that he moved to Buenos Aires with his mother Berthe Gardes, in 1893. He later changed the spelling of his name and became an Argentinian citizen in 1923. Gardel has began his career singing in bars and parties and in 1913 formed a duet with José Razzano which lasted until the mid-twenties, singing a wide variety of folk songs apart from early tangos. Within this last genre, Gardel made the landmark first recording of the classic "Mi Noche Triste" in 1917. The introduction of lyrics into the tango -formerly an instrumental genre- set a new trend and eventually turned Gardel into the most important singer of this time. The now-sung tango used Argentine urban slang ( lunfardo ) to describe a lover's misery at finding out he's been betrayed by his beloved one, to brag about his macho exploits, and to portray in picturesque detail, with a mixture of melancholy and pride, the daily minutiae of his birth place, the city of Buenos Aires, shrine of the porteño. Gardel's popularity grew steadily during the first part of the twenties and, in 1925, the duet with Razzano was disolved and his solo career was launched once and for all. He travelled to Spain where he enjoyed a good reception and recorded twenty-two songs, twenty of which were tangos. Three years later Gardel was already a household name, recording abundantly for Odeon a repertoire now composed almost exclusively of tangos. But here was still one more peak to be climbed. like many Argentinians -by birth or choice- Gardel dreamed of conquering Paris. Finally, in 1928, he travels to the City of Light and, after singing at a charity in the Femina Theatre, alongside a Josephine Baker then in her prime, Gardel secures a three-month residency at the cabaret Florida and records several more sides. On returning to Buenos Aires, Gardel was already an international singer who wanted to broaden his horizon. He signs a new recording contract, this time with RCA, that will yield the definite versions of his all-time greatest hits such as mi Buenos Aires Querido, Por Una Cabeza, Volver, El Día Que Me Quieras, Golondrinas, Cuesta Abajo, Silencio and many others. Most of these songs are closely linked with the figure of Alfredo Le Pera, an Argentine expatriate settled in Paris who, as from the early 30's would become Garedl's lyricist and script writer at the suggestion of Paramount Pictures, with which the singer would begin a close relationship that would last until his tragic death in the plane crash of Medellin, Colombia, in 1935, resulting in a number of films shoted in the United States, such as Melodía de Arrabal, El Tango en Broadway, El Día que me Quieras and Tango Bar which did a lot in establishing Gardel's international reputation as tango's prime singer. In the intervening years the myth of Carlos Gardel has come to embody the very symbol of tango music. In Argentina, where his figure constitutes a cult in itself, reaching almost religious proportions, there is a popular saying that summarizes the reverence ad unabated affection professed by its people: Gardel cada día canta mejor ... ( Gardel sings better every day ...)

Here are some tango tragics doing their thing 'alfresco' in the famous Corso in Manly (since renovated) near where I live:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24