Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Important Virtue

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
What is the most important single virtue?

The way this came up is that Mrs. Crumrine and I were talking over breakfast this morning about a fellow we know, Dr. XXX, and we concluded that while he is clearly a good man, his word has no lasting value. On one hand, we've seen him be ever so gentle and caring with a person in the middle stages of dementia and on the other hand I've seen him promise a future act in exchange for an immediate action by a counterparty. The counterparty action was performed, but Dr. XXX never honored his part of the agreement. Dr. XXX, in our minds, values being "good" over being "honorable".

If you could be known for only one virtue, which would it be?

carter

I'll Lock Up
For me, the word Integrity would be it.

To be known as a man of sound moral and ethical principles and to honestly live by those principles pretty much covers the waterfront.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Posts through #05:

Integrity.................01
Honesty..................01
Empathy.................02

(Note: Could we combine Kindness / Compassion / Empathy? Clearly, they each mean slightly different things, but someone who has the one hardly lacks the others.)

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Fidelity is really important, PolkaDotMeggie, and it's often assumed without being really tested. I once met a man with a very interesting background who told me that "the only unforgivable sin is betrayal". That comment falls right in line with your vote for most important virture.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Gary Crumrine said:
Fidelity is really important, PolkaDotMeggie, and it's often assumed without being really tested. I once met a man with a very interesting background who told me that "the only unforgivable sin is betrayal". That comment falls right in line with your vote for most important virture.

I could not agree more. The most important thing I want my husband to know, since he is overseas, is that my heart belongs to him. Now and always. He never needs to worry.

Honor seems problematic because it depends on how others perceive honor. Maybe all of the virtues suffer from this problem, but it seems to me honor is defined by others.

I guess i think the most important would be prudence.

somewhat off topic:

"A man is not a good man to me because he will feed me if I should be starving, or warm me if I should be freezing, or pull me out of a ditch if I should ever fall into one. I can find you a Newfoundland dog that will do as much."

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Roman Catholic Virtues

1. Humility
2. Kindness
3. Forgiveness
4. Diligence
5. Charity
6. Temperance
7. Chastity

This is the order of importance that the Catholic Church teaches. My mom always told me I need to have character, not be one!! Boy moms sure are smart. My mom is so smart she has more degrees than a ten foot thermometer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy