Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth bites

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
You can screw around with needles and brushes and often improve the look of the hat, but ceaseless fiddling with hat details eventually wore me out. I have a lot of them, and some of the nicest ones have moth holes. I no longer obsess over small flaws. And, I'm fairly certain that hat makers insert cryogenically frozen moth larvae into their hats, knowing that years later, they'll spring to life and start nibbling away. We'll have to ask Art, and see if he'll own up to it.

I finally decided that vintage hats are like vintage guitars--no one would discard a 1959 Les Paul simply because it has some buckle rash on the back, or dings in the peghead. Same with the hats--if it's a really cool lid, you go ahead and wear it, moth holes be damned. You just have to learn how to act like you put the holes there yourself, on purpose.

And let's not forget--the best revenge is to buy another hat!

Justdog

Practically Family
Moth

Yep I like your slant on this issue Uncle Vern

Just saved a lot of unecessary agravation.

Acceptance is a good remedy, smile.

Thanks

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
My favorite hat (fits well, nice felt) from ebay has divots and one hole, but I'm wearing it as a daily casual hat. Most people I'm around don't even notice the problems. At least I don't have to worry about it!!!

Ralph

Feraud

Bartender
Uncle Vern said:
I finally decided that vintage hats are like vintage guitars--no one would discard a 1959 Les Paul simply because it has some buckle rash on the back, or dings in the peghead. Same with the hats--if it's a really cool lid, you go ahead and wear it, moth holes be damned. You just have to learn how to act like you put the holes there yourself, on purpose.

I agree and view these small items as "character".

job

One Too Many
I know some vintage hats can have some moth nibbles but does anyone have newer hats that have moth bites. I would freak out if my hats were nibbled on over the summer.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Hi:

Any way that moth bites can be repaired?

Not Holes

Thanks

Justdog,
I don't know how bad the tracks from the moth are, of if you have a steamer but you can try this. We do it in our shop but it can be risky. At any rate, If you don't have a steamer use a tea kettle and get the steam good and hot (if you have a steamer do the same). Get yourself a hat brush if you don't have one. If you do have that by your side. You will also need a pear pin, or a pin at least an inch long. First clean the hat up nice. Start with a good lint roll and then brush it up good (counterclockwise with the nap). Then bring the hat to the steam. Brush it up good again but this time do it with the steam hitting the hat. Be sure to hold the hat at least 2 inches away from the steam at the least. When you brush it now the steam will lift the nap a bit with the steam. Take it section by section and do the whole hat. At this point you have a good picture of what your dealing with for tracks. Some of the shallow tracks you may be able to brush out with the steam. The deeper tracks you can steam up the affected area and about a 1/4 inch before the track you can take the pearl pin and drag the felt across the moth track. Start from the top and work your way down like you are mowing the lawn expect you are only going to do this in one direction. Depending on how nice your felt is this should work out and I've done it successfully dozens of times. However, the first few time I can remember it being tricky. Don't go crazy dragging the felt too much or your end up going right through and making a hole. Take it slow and be in touch with the felt and know how it is taking it while your bringing it back to the steamer while you do it. It can be successful. We've masked small holes this way and you would never know they were there. Afterward brush that area with the steam - same direction the whole time being counterclockwise. There are other methods like sanding etc, but I wouldn't go there if you haven't done it before. Without seeing the hat - the quality of the felt - and the depth of the tracks I can't really call it, but give that a shot it may work out nice for you. No one likes moth tracks. Hope it works out for you and if you have any questions feel free to message me and send a pic or two of the problem and I'll try and help you out remotely best I can.
Cheers,
Jessen

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Justdog,
I don't know how bad the tracks from the moth are, of if you have a steamer but you can try this. We do it in our shop but it can be risky. At any rate, If you don't have a steamer use a tea kettle and get the steam good and hot (if you have a steamer do the same). Get yourself a hat brush if you don't have one. If you do have that by your side. You will also need a pear pin, or a pin at least an inch long. First clean the hat up nice. Start with a good lint roll and then brush it up good (counterclockwise with the nap). Then bring the hat to the steam. Brush it up good again but this time do it with the steam hitting the hat. Be sure to hold the hat at least 2 inches away from the steam at the least. When you brush it now the steam will lift the nap a bit with the steam. Take it section by section and do the whole hat. At this point you have a good picture of what your dealing with for tracks. Some of the shallow tracks you may be able to brush out with the steam. The deeper tracks you can steam up the affected area and about a 1/4 inch before the track you can take the pearl pin and drag the felt across the moth track. Start from the top and work your way down like you are mowing the lawn expect you are only going to do this in one direction. Depending on how nice your felt is this should work out and I've done it successfully dozens of times. However, the first few time I can remember it being tricky. Don't go crazy dragging the felt too much or your end up going right through and making a hole. Take it slow and be in touch with the felt and know how it is taking it while your bringing it back to the steamer while you do it. It can be successful. We've masked small holes this way and you would never know they were there. Afterward brush that area with the steam - same direction the whole time being counterclockwise. There are other methods like sanding etc, but I wouldn't go there if you haven't done it before. Without seeing the hat - the quality of the felt - and the depth of the tracks I can't really call it, but give that a shot it may work out nice for you. No one likes moth tracks. Hope it works out for you and if you have any questions feel free to message me and send a pic or two of the problem and I'll try and help you out remotely best I can.
Cheers,
Jessen

Ha-ha-ha!
Just noticed how old that post was! Oops. I just saw moth tracks and the hatter in me wanted to help : )
We'll at any rate there is some tips on how to mask moth tracks folks.
Cheers!
Jessen

From my experience it is not worth the risk. I found it is hard to match the original finish and it usually results in a color mismatch because of the introduction of new felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24