Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth damage on Aero wool linings?

gfirob

Familiar Face
I was packing my two Aero jackets up for the summer (a little late) and it occurred to me that the wool linings might be vulnerable to moths. Anybody ever have a problem with this? The older of the two of mine has wear holes in the lining but no moth holes. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rob Gardner

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Rob,
I always use a cedar spray on any collectible that's made out of wool (mothballs are to toxic for me) and even newer items to like the leather sleeved school coats that are wool and have wool cuffs and waistbands. I also learned to leave the closet door open for light when I store the coats in the spring and summer because one summer I didn't treat the cuffs and waistband on a new school type coat and I kept the closet door closed and when I took the coat out to wear the next winter the cuffs and waistbands had holes in them from the moths. I hope this helps. Regards Mike

Peacoat

Bartender
I protect all of my closets with Hot Shot No Pest strips. I use to occasionally have moth damage until I started using this product several years ago. No problems since then. The strips have no odor, and the plastic cover protects against touching the actual strip.

ron521

One of the Regulars
You can purchase cedar blocks, roughly the size of a cake of soap, to put in your closet, or even in the pockets of garments you wish to protect.

Fiver64

Practically Family
I've also seen where the huge bumpy "oranges" from the Osage tree work great as moth and spider deterrents. Just toss them in the bottom of a closet. I've also heard that dryer fabric softener sheets bother moths. Not positive on that one though! Cedar always leaves a nice woodsy smell. The blocks are pretty cheap.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
The best way I've found to avoid moth damage is to keep items sealed up so that the moths can't get to them. For sweaters, you can use those plastic vacuum bags, but a leather jacket needs to breathe... So that would be a problem. I've had good luck with hanging cloth bags with my suits. There's a small hole at the top where the hanger comes out, but so far, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran