Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Cicero

A-List Customer
The hat from Paul Newman in the movie 'Hombre' has inspired me alot.
I saw that movie when i was pretty young, and the way he wears that short brimmed western hat was so cool.
That's why i love western hats wit a short brim.

DesertDan

One Too Many
There are a couple that have caught my eye to the point that I might like to have them made. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any images so I'll have to try some screen caps off the DVDs

The first is the hat worn by the man waving the white flag at the Martians in the 1953 version of "War of the Worlds". I like everything about that hat. There is another one worn by a reporter who is standing next to the radio newsman at the first encounter. It looks like a green felt with a burgundy ribbon, pretty sharp lid.

The other hat I really like is the one worn by Professor Broom in the first "Hellboy" movie when he is leaving the clinic and stands on the street watching the television broadcast. It only appreas in that one scene but what a great hat!

Like I said I'll try to get some screen shots up at some point.

zero.e

New in Town
pkus_porco_rosso_f_z.gif

:D Even though I watched a great amount of westerns and gangster movies when I was a little they never hit me like Porco Rosso did. I owned one black fedora already which I purchased about a year earlier. After Porco Rosso I however decided to get myself a panama hat in fedora format. I mostly use it while hiking but it always brings that classic feel to my trips.

ClaHH1957

Familiar Face
in the series "white collar" the thief (Neil Caffrey) wears a nice hat.
really small one.
anyone knowing this kind of hat?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Thanks but again, it's not the same band. The vines and leaves are narrower & smaller, it's lighter in color and no vertical lines.

Yep everything's in the detail but for 30 bucks that's about as close your gonna get :)

If you really want screen accurate then having one made by a leathersmith is probably your best bet & it wouldn't be as expensive as you think. Bushcraft forums are the best place to look with some great craftsmen as members who would be able to make one for you, to your specs. for a resonable price. .................:D

DougC

Practically Family
That Indy guy inspired me to get a brown Stetson recently...I bought a weekender, changed the pheasant feather band for a 1 inch brown grosgrain ribbon and put a deeper crease. Although, I liked the result on the crease, I'm having the crown re-blocked to get rid of the taper and add a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch to the height. We'll see how it turns out. Either way, I'm probably going to buy a Peters Brothers Indy within the next year...OR a Fed IV. Just can't make up my mind.

StokerCat

New in Town
Yep everything's in the detail but for 30 bucks that's about as close your gonna get :)

If you really want screen accurate then having one made by a leathersmith is probably your best bet & it wouldn't be as expensive as you think. Bushcraft forums are the best place to look with some great craftsmen as members who would be able to make one for you, to your specs. for a resonable price. .................:D

Thanks, Lean'n'mean, I appreciate it. I will check out Bushcraft Forums as you suggested.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This hat, probably black (what other color can you imagine criminal icon Cody Jarrett wearing?), is an inspiration:
vlcsnap-2012-09-03-15h07m28s196.png

and
vlcsnap-2012-09-03-14h54m39s179.png

I'm thinking if I bought a black Fed IV, had its ribbon replaced with a slightly narrower one, and had the brim trimmed . . .

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That Indy guy inspired me to get a brown Stetson recently...I bought a weekender, changed the pheasant feather band for a 1 inch brown grosgrain ribbon and put a deeper crease. Although, I liked the result on the crease, I'm having the crown re-blocked to get rid of the taper and add a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch to the height. We'll see how it turns out. Either way, I'm probably going to buy a Peters Brothers Indy within the next year...OR a Fed IV. Just can't make up my mind.

Although I have no experience with Peters Bros, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Fed IV.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

The only thing that bugs me about the Peter Bros. hat is that whatever ribbon they're using never looks right to me. Actually, I should say, it doesn't look "screen accurate" as an Indy ribbon, it has a kind of weird purple undertone going on, whereas the true ribbon is a very, very, dark brown, almost black.

howardeye

Practically Family
I liked all the hats in the movie. That is what has drawn me to the old B & W movies all these years. The Fedoras, especially in Superman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy