Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Villains

barrowjh

One Too Many
I didn't see any mention of Richard Boone (Paladin) - he could do a very believable villain. Henry Fonda in 'Once Upon a Time in the West' as the bad guy that Charles Bronson was hunting. Richard Boone and Henry Fonda should not be overlooked.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I was reading this old thread and saw that Percy from "The Green Mile" was missed. When he stomped the pet mouse I wanted to strangle him!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The One and Only John Barrymore

TCM just showed "The Mad Genius" from 1931 last night, starring that all time champion scenery chewer upper, John Barrymore. Great stuff! Terrific eyeball rolling, eye brow arching, demonic evil doer! Also, if you've never seen his version of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide", from 1920, you're in for a treat.
Anybody what doesn't love John Barrymore is my eminy!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also:

Edward Fox as the psycho terrorist murderer in "The Day of the Jackal", Orson Wells in "A Touch of Evil" (could also have been titled "A Touch of Grossness"), and I can't believe nobody has mentioned that arch villain of arch villains, Charles Middleton as the Evil Emperor Ming!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Also, if you've never seen his version of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide", from 1920, you're in for a treat.
Anybody what doesn't love John Barrymore is my eminy!

That's one of my favorite films--he's incredible in that one. I like him in Topaz too (with a young Myrna Loy).

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Twitch -- Eli Wallach was also a nasty, nasty villain in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, too, as was Lee Van Cleef -- although he played a "good" bounty hunter in For a Few Dollars More.

Wallach could play some pretty nasty villains, as could Rod Steiger.

karol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
anyone mention Olivier in Marathon Man?
i think Mitchum in Fear and Hunter is just about the creepiest...someone mentioned him before...
WAIT!! forgot one:
Lugosi.jpg

i don't care what anybody says but that film still gives me the creeps...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
K.D.- of course who could forget Wallach's line in the Good, Bad & Ugly to Eastwood, "may your mother end up in a two dollar whore house!":eek: :eek:

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
Tura Satana as Varla in Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!
tura1.jpg
Definitely Tura!!

Also:
James Cagney
Natasha and Boris!
Darth Vader

Bette Davis - What Happened to Baby Jane?
Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee - Dracula
Dr. Evil
Christopher Walken
Jack Nicholson - The Shining
Anthony Perkins - Psycho
Christian Bale - American Psycho
Freddy and Chucky
Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lector
Al Pacino (Satan - Devils Advocate and as Tony Montana in Scarface) and Robert DeNiro - Satan and as Travis Bickle - Taxi Driver
The Demon in The Exorcist
Kevin Spacey - Seven
Neddy Smith and Roger Rogerson - Blue Murder! Ha! Ha! - Aussies will know what who I mean!
Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty - Bonnie and Clyde and as Joan Crawford
Ms.45 chick
Glenn Close - Fatal Attraction
Vincent Price - The Theatre of Blood
Damien - The Omen series
Marlon Brando - Col. Kurtz
Sauron, Smeagol, The Nazgu- The Lord of the Rings

Yep I remember Olivier in Marathon Man:confused:

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
The villian I am thinking of I don't 'love to hate' - I just really disliked him. I think if you really dislike or hate a villian it means they are playing/acting it well (I don't mean villians from tacky films).
The villian I really really disliked was the headmaster/principle from the movie Charlotte Gray (2001) - I really wanted to do bodily harm to him, darn collaborator! :rage:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The early 60s gave us fantastic villians!

...favorites of mine, these two monsters! :D :D

Bette Davis "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane" 1962
340x.jpg

Anthony Perkins "Psycho" 1960
Anthony_Perkins_4.png

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating site re types of villains - etc.

TVTropes is a wiki allegedly devoted to analyzing story points, plots, genres, and characterizations for writers... but it's a really entertaining site for browsing if you're any kind of dedicated fiction fan.

It's a wild and wooly resource, cross-indexed by specific films, shows, books, comics, etc., and specific tropes/concepts/genres/character types. You can spend hours there checking the connections between different fictional ideas and works, or different users' opinions of how it all fits together.

Here's their main index page on villains:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains

And the master chronogical list of films, and main list of TV subjects:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Film

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Television

There some very perceptive - and very funny - observations there. (Note that there's a fair amount of invisible spoiler text on some pages, which allegedly becomes visible if you become a registered user. I haven't tried it yet.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112