Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to the 40s

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
I'm glad I found this site. I honestly had no idea this many people enjoyed this era. I was just wondering if I'm alone in this one. I am slowly moving into the 40s. I now drive a 1941 Tudor Ford, shave with a double edge using Williams shave soap , write with a Schaeffer, wear a 1948 Eska watch and listen to 78s on my Olympic phonograph. Every time I find a old way of doing things I have to have it. People often ask me why and all I can say is I feel comfortable in this time. Does this make me strange?

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Nope, you're not alone!

[...] shave with a double edge using Williams shave soap , write with a Schaeffer,
[...]
People often ask me why and all I can say is I feel comfortable in this time. Does this make me strange?

Strange? Not a bit. Of course I have to admit that I also shave with a double-edged and write with a Sheaffer. So maybe we're both a little nuts.;)

On a serious note, I think you will find quite a lot in common with most of the members here. This place is home to a lot of folks who appreciate the era and many of them live it.
I think you'll feel welcome here.

Mickey85

New in Town
Welcome! You'll be fine here...

I wouldn't say that I'm moving to the 40's, but I do find myself to be a bit of a curmudgeon. I wetshave with safety razors, type on typewriters, attempt to dress as nicely as possible (which isn't an "old thing" per se, but certainly appears to becoming outdated), although my style seems to be more skinny-tie 60's and rockabilly '50's than 40's. I even bought a Subaru because, while I need a more modern car for my 80-mile-round-trip daily commute, I also like to work on my own cars, and this appears to be one of those that you can actually work on.

Anyway - welcome!

rjb1

Practically Family
Welcome!
A former girlfriend went to a USO dance with me after a WWII reenacting event. Afterwards, I asked her what she thought of us "in the forties/WWII" folks. She thought for a minute and said, "Odd, but nice." I liked that description, and have tried ever since to live up to it.
(I have always thought that "normal" was just a polite way of saying "ordinary".)

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm a vintage gentleman farmer. I have a DE collection from the 20's-60's, vintage hats, vintage shoes, a few vinatge suits and vintage principles. Here on the farm, we raise chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits and dairy goats, all by hand.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Welcome! You'll be fine here...

I wouldn't say that I'm moving to the 40's, but I do find myself to be a bit of a curmudgeon. I wetshave with safety razors, type on typewriters, attempt to dress as nicely as possible (which isn't an "old thing" per se, but certainly appears to becoming outdated), although my style seems to be more skinny-tie 60's and rockabilly '50's than 40's. I even bought a Subaru because, while I need a more modern car for my 80-mile-round-trip daily commute, I also like to work on my own cars, and this appears to be one of those that you can actually work on.

Anyway - welcome!

Welcome fibber, like Mickey I try to dress nice when going anywhere, but skinny ties are not for me,work on my cars and tip my hat to women and open doors for them. Maybe this isn't the 40s, maybe just how it should be. Also use a safety razor, but I do wear modern suits and clothes. Have a vitrola that we love to play. Not giving up my AC anytime soon.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the welcome and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. And sorry about the typo Shangas , that would be the spell check on my phone. I use my Wearever Zenith more at work anyway. I do however like my AC but I could give it up if I had the chance to go back. I just think something is missing in the world today.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Fibber! You are definitely not strange, that's for sure! I have not necessarily moved to the '40s, but it has been my favorite decade to study for over twenty years now. I got back into OTR in 2008 and just LOVE Fibber McGee and Molly! I listen to it often. Don't worry,, everyone from Wistful Vista will follow. You did, after all, move everyone (except for Silly Watson)from Chicago to Los Angeles back in 1939, remember? LOL :) Now, you'll have a new hall closet--just don't open that closet door!

All kidding aside, welcome to the forum.

-Kristi

Edward

Bartender
I think there are a lot of folks round here would jump at the chance to go back in time. For me it's more a case of preserving the bits of the past that I prefer, rather than rejecting them in favour of the new. I'll certainly never abandon the internet or my washing machine or my dishwasher for the sake of a "period lifestyle", but that's what's great about our interest in that era while being based in the now: we can buy into as much of it as we want, without the elements most of us would rather not suffer. :)

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I think there are a lot of folks round here would jump at the chance to go back in time. For me it's more a case of preserving the bits of the past that I prefer, rather than rejecting them in favour of the new. I'll certainly never abandon the internet or my washing machine or my dishwasher for the sake of a "period lifestyle", but that's what's great about our interest in that era while being based in the now: we can buy into as much of it as we want, without the elements most of us would rather not suffer. :)

As see, that's where the late 1940s into the 1950s comes in. A lot of our modern luxuries began in the early 1950s. Dishwashers and air conditioning started to become upscale, then common. That's a fun time to live in (and you can still use your Sheaffer too!)

-Max

Hep Caterina

New in Town
Im with you Fibber, I was feeling at odds too, since everywhere you look nowadays you are inundated with media prodding you to buy cheap foreign garbage buy the latest overpriced vehicles, watch idiotic "reality" TV, which, isnt real at all, eat toxic fast food, and a myriad of other less than enjoyable daily activities that most consider "normal". I only watch Turner classic movies, listen to Pandora free internet radio and created my own "station"- Big Band variety. I am deeply disturbed at the movies that are being put out now, which basically consist of "lets see how many people we can kill, and how many different things we can blow up, and how many creative ways we can find to accomplish these two things". Kids today are soft, disrespectful and slovenly. In my line of work, I tell them first off "there are no can'ts out here". I force them to think and solve problems- apparently something they arent getting at home or in school- but- thats another thread... I am currently trying to locate like mindeds in my area to start a special interest group that will eventually put on dinner dances, movie nights, classic car shows, vintage swap meets and fairs and any other activities of old. Imagine my delight when a FB friend turned me onto "The Lounge"! I must say- this is a swell joint! Seems like we are in great company!

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
"n my line of work, I tell them first off "there are no can'ts out here". I force them to think and solve problems- apparently something they arent getting at home or in school-"
When I started reading this I thought you must be a teacher, but the last part seems to indicate otherwise.
Trying to instill a few of the Golden Age virtues in modern kids is a very good thing, so I'm curious about where/how you do that.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I sneak it in there. Started with wearing ties and jackets to university (trust me, only a few Management majors wore ties or jackets. Proceeded to full suits. Then bow ties. Finally people would say to me, "Where did you get the vintage tie"?. I didn't realize I was vintage in that respect. I'm wearing a WWII long tie from my days as a Cadet. I wore ties my Dad didn't wear anymore, and it finally occurred to me I was more comfortable with older things.

I'm 29. I just took Mother to the movies. I'm wearing a cardigan, just took off a seersucker jacket and I wore spectators (I know, not the right season but there isn't a bit of snow or water). I date the kind of girls who know what a cocktail gown is, who don't mind if I wear a trenchcoat and a fedora out and who appreciate tactical use of a bit of Brylcreem. Once in a while, it's a forage cap and khakis (shirt too) with boots.

You know you're doing it right when people stop looking at you funny, and just realize it's who you are. I'm into the vintage scene around here, but often it's more of a 50s/60s scene. When I fly, I dress totally 40s and I can assure you, people assume I'm a pilot.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
I admit there are modern things I enjoy , especially air conditioning in Florida. Would I give it up to go back? I think so. I know I have a glamorized view of the past but even with the negatives I still feel that I would be more comfortable there. I certainly don't feel comfortable here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy