Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to the 40s

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Why would you say for convenience the flat top? (If you are saying the flat top for convenience.)

The only reason why I ask is that I see the monitor top as a bit bigger, has the foot pedal opening, and will be easier to clean (legs). Both are highly efficient (more efficient than modern fridges because of the sulfur dioxide). The monitor top does need some cleaning, but I am going to leave the finish as is. I must admit, I am leaning towards the monitor top myself.

They weigh about 250 pounds, so the current joke is we'll buy four of these (we still need a globe top and a honeycomb to add to the collection, which is my husbands) and then we can switch them each season (spring, summer, fall, and winter).

The flattop fridge comes with the option of using the top for extra storage. I can't imagine that you could (safely) put many things on top of a monitor-top fridge like that, without it either falling off, or damaging the monitor.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Oh, hands down, the monitor! Sheeplady, what are you doing with the current fridge (I assume you own a modern one?)

This is now the main dilemma of my "retrofit" project. The only rooms in the house that are still mostly modern are the kitchen and bathroom. I am agonizing about the decision to get rid of the modern fridge and replace it with a (hopefully monitor) version, and do the same with the gas range. In the bathroom the retrofit would be less expensive -- I'd just have to find a nice tiny old hand-sink. Everything else is okay.

What I did was to make a kitchen with a 'retro' feel to it. Kept all the appliances, but added many vintage knick-knacks. Stripped bare, the kitchen would appeal to any buyer. You can not only have a look at it on this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?46987-Home-is-where-the-Kitchen-is/page6 In the last picture, taken when the lights were on, my wife is on the phone. The phone being a late 1950's model. We didn't have to have a major rewire to accomodate it, but the benefits, (or drawbacks,) depending on your perspective, is that the phone doesn't work with touch tone technology. So, whilst you are never plagued by unwanted sales, when it come to pressing: One for the money, Two or the show, you can't. Try dialing one, or two, or anything else, and you just get cut off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic